OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Sakura 20-360X100 Binocular

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prashant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sakura 20-360X100 Binocular
    Posted: June/30/2010 at 14:45
Hi all,
I want to buy a Sakura 20-360X100 Binocular, can anyone connect me to a supplier or the manufacturer.
Thanks and regards
Prashant
NDhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/2010 at 18:29
These look to be a good pick for sheep hunters, high power out to 360x.  Let us know how
they perform?
prashant View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prashant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/01/2010 at 04:32
The reviews seem to be good, of course the full zoom would only be available under good light conditions. Could someone help me to contact a seller/supplier.
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/01/2010 at 10:00
Originally posted by prashant prashant wrote:

Could someone help me to contact a seller/supplier.

Don't WASTE your time or your money on Ridiculous Advertising Claims! Loco

http://www.bigbinoculars.com/nozooms.htm

PLEASE CLICK HERE ALSO

Edited by Bird Watcher - July/01/2010 at 10:07
tamanoir View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamanoir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/01/2010 at 10:12
Hi,
I shoudn't talk about something I didn't use but here the numbers are so HIGH I coudn't resist to send a warning !

A) 20-360X100 : excuse me, but, LOL.
It would translate to 5 - 0,28 mm exit pupil.
0,28 mm exit pupil for such a bino = bullsh*t. It translate to power = 3.6 x diameter. Even with a top perfomer astronomical telescope, and on easy subject as bright stars,
0,28 mm is not funny (dim and hard to maintain aligned with the eye) ; it can be (is) used for very special usage (double star splitting) in very special condition (sky without turbulence).
Even for planets (bright but extend objects) it is too much in practice (in practice 2D is considered a good "limit", even if 2D is in fact a lot and not very comfortable).

All of that comments was for high constrat objects.
Now imagine 3.6 diameters on terrestrial : objects with much less constrast, atmospheric ground turbulence... ==> quality of sight = bullsh*t.
==> Don't trust me on my subjective words, and find your truth by yourself : make this little test : in front of the objective of your bino (or telescope) put a mask with a clear aperture whose diameter is [power x 0,28] (in mm).
Example : if power = 8X ==> diameter of clear aperture = 2,24 mm.
Look and estimate by yourself...

==> your millage may vary, but for me in practice I would say the effective part would be a 5 to 2 mm exit pupil. 1 mm would be very casual on terrestrial.

B) a quik search on ebay shows a dealer who gives these "specs" :
- it is marked "20-360", but there is the "Nikon Magnification" (LOL-LOL) = 20-60 (ok, less funny than 20-360)
- optical diameter 80mm (and not 100mm)
it translate to an exit pupil varying from 4 to 1,33 mm : much less comical, if the quality is very high : but is it possible for 50$ ?
This would be a miracle !

Perhaps they are not too bad at 20X.

OK, I stop my cynical comments. Just be aware of the marketing hype.

Tamanoir : an other optics lover (binos FL 8x42, Razor 8x42, IOR 7x40,..., astro Tak FS102, FS60, Intes-Micro 150). Loves guns too, and photo.
spf2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spf2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/01/2010 at 11:04
wow.. someone actually paid $112 for such a junk on ebay?! 
Seller is based in Taiwan

You got to love the specs

Quote Technological Reference
Nikon Magnification (By Distance Reduction Rate): 25-60
Objective Tube Diameter(mm): 100
Objective Glass Diameter(mm): 80
Angular field of view(゜): 3(25X)
Field of view(m): 52
Relative brightness: 16
Close focusing distance (m): 17
Weight(g): 2700g
Size (mm): 14.43x 9.06 inches (370x220mm)
Eye adjustable scope(mm): 56-72

They advertised the size of 100mm based on the outer tube diameter (not the glass)Shocked

The angular view of 3 degree at (25x) is also suspecious. It means 75 degree AFOV, for a zoom binoculars? stop lying...
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/01/2010 at 11:16
One more thing to take into consideration, when discussing high magnification binoculars, is the cost of a heavy-duty tripod and heavy-duty head.

I own two 30x80 giant binoculars and one 20x90 giant binocular, (plus many other smaller models).

My tripod of choice, for Rock-Solid viewing with giant binoculars, is the Manfrotto #3246 tripod (#028B) and a Manfrotto 503 HDV pan head.

$285. Tripod
$350. Head
$635. Total

A cheaper Chinese version of a similar tripod and pan head would cost at least $250.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic