OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Mounting Dilemma

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3PERCENTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mounting Dilemma
    Posted: June/30/2010 at 10:08
I have already decided on a couple of scopes based on price and reviews. The Leatherwood CMR 1-4X24 for close to medium range and the Vortex Crossfire 6-24X50 for longer range applications.

Anyway, my dilemma is two-fold. First, the wife says that I have virtually no more money to spend and second the Leatherwood has a 30mm tube and the Vortex has a 1” tube.

Another consideration that I am discovering is the height of the rings. I have been hearing the lower the better, so I would like to get a mount that could get me as low as I can go with the 50mm Vortex. Also in this regard, I’ve got half a mind to take a dremel tool to the fixed front sight as I’ve heard some people do and add a flip up on my FF rail. Would you recommend this?

I would like to keep my mounting needs for these scopes down to $100 and after a quick search, I came up with the following options;

I could by one primary arms deluxe scope mount in 30mm and request the 1” inserts for $60 and save a chunk of change. I am not too concerned with having to swap these back and forth since I plan on using each scope for extended periods of time before I get bored and swap them out and re-sight it in.

I could buy two Burris AR mounts and have one for each scope but this goes over my limit and these look like they would raise the scopes up higher than other one piece mounts that I’ve seen, does anyone know the height to center of rings for this mount?

The Armalite one piece mounts are $75 and looks to be one of the lowest mounts, does anyone have one of these.

Other suggestions??

Thanks in advance.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/2010 at 10:13

The PEPR will not put you to high for either of them. I use the PEPR on my AR and it is perfect.  If you can spring the extra cash I'd go that method and then when you remount them they should be close to dead nuts.  When I took my mount off last and then put it back on I was less than 1/2 a MOA off.  With the PEPR I don't think your frount sight would be an issue, but I dont know that for sure.

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
3PERCENTER View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3PERCENTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/2010 at 12:55

SVT, thanks for the reply. I was kinda leaning toward just getting two of the PEPR’s anyway, maybe I will just buy the 30mm first since I really want to start playing with the Leatherwood first and then get the 1” later. I’ve already got plans to get one of those Laser Genetics lights to pair up with the Vortex 6-24x50 for ‘yotes but that will have to wait even longer.

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/2010 at 13:04
They do make a good combination
lol

BTW, I dont' know how quick you wanna start playing but the new Super Sniper mounts should be out sooner than later I would think.  The Gen I SSALT mount came as 30mm and included 1" inserts when it was availible and I think the Gen II's should as well.  I would call SWFA and talk to Christopher about a timeline if they know it.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3PERCENTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/2010 at 16:07
I already called before reading your last post and the rep said the SSALT will be out in 30 days, so as much as I hate to wait, I think I will wait and he said it will come with the 1" inserts. Do you know if it provides sufficient eye relief for the leatherwood CMR?

BTW, what is the effective range on that ND-3, I am thinking about getting the ND-5 instead since my dog typically keep the yotes at bay outside 200 yards or so.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/2010 at 16:11
The SSALT and the PEPR are very similar and I dont' forsee any issues using either scope in it. 
As far as the ND3  on 10 power with the beam focus down i can easily hit soda cans at 150yds+ and farther if I would have tried guaranteed.   The best way to use them is to find the beam concentration that just barely fills the FOV of your scope depending on what power setting you have it on.  Example. as you increase your magnification your FOV narrows and your can concentrate your beam better and see farther - flip side, as you lower magnification the larger you need the beam to be and the less concentrated it will be and the distance you can pick up details will decrease.  Given that I would think the ND5 would be better for scanning to pick up the yotes

Edited by SVT_Tactical - June/30/2010 at 16:17
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3PERCENTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/2010 at 17:12

After you get the ND3 focused within the FOV do you have to re-adjust the POI on the ND3 when you go from say 50 yards to 150 yards? I wouldn't imagine you would since the focal sources are so close together.

Also, I just noticed the SWFA brand mount is called SSALT and the Burris is called PEPR, I wonder if that play on words was intentional, get it SALT and PEPPER, LOL.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/2010 at 17:15
No yardage adjustment needed on the ND3 

Its like a flashlight as far as the beam only 100 times better but you get the picture you focus a flashlight to a tight lite and you can see far, focus it wide and you can see a lot wider but not as far.... make sense?
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3PERCENTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/01/2010 at 07:51

yeah, that makes sense, like most adjustable focus lights the wider the beam the less concentrated the light. I think I will get the ND5 though since where I live, Kansas, it would be nice to have the extra range of the ND5.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic