OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Shooting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

My "Long Range" setup

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My "Long Range" setup
    Posted: June/29/2010 at 18:46
Well with the craze of everyone shooting long range. So I figured would show my "long range" setup.
So here it is

So we got a
Pentax PF80ED-A spotter on Manfrotto Bogen tripod.
Savage Mark II with Warne rings, and SS10x, harris 6-9 bipod
Wolf Target Match 22lr
Kestrel 4000NV weather meter
Midway shooting mat
Caldwell shooting bag
(I used JBM ballistics to make my cards)

I can shoot a 1" group at 800 yards... ........ .lol  just kidding. No, I shoot paper and little 22 spinner targets from 20 yards out to 150. Id like to work out to 200 eventually. I am by no means a marksman. I consider myself a newby. But I am learning. This setup is not an equivalent of shooting a 308 at a grand. But it is good practice for basic wind reading, milling targets, general marksmanship. Practice the basics. Not to mention its fun, and its a cheap way to practice. I can shoot all day long and not be fatigued by the "massive" kick of the rifle.

And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew 10:28
Monster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2010 at 20:23
I love shooting 22's at 200 yards at clays......I don't dial in I only use holdover but i can have fun for hours lobbing those things....

btw cool setup!

Edited by Monster - June/29/2010 at 20:24
"Get Busy Livin' or get busy dyin'" -Red (Shawshank Redemption)
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2010 at 21:31

Nice. 

More people should ease into distance shooting by learning with a good .22

If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2010 at 23:49
A fair shooter and a .22 is impressive to the Mall Ninjas and the Spray and Pray crowd that can't hit within feet of the target when you are hitting targets out to 200 yds. with a .22 Lr. They can't believe a .22 Lr will even shoot that far. Just got to learn the scope and dope.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/2010 at 08:34
Nice setup Stork. Have you tried 300yds with this setup? Just wondering if there was enough elevation in the scope to get that far with a 22. I've shot an old Redfield on a Ruger 77/22 but 250yds is as far as I can get.
I love shooting 22s; cheap training and just as challenging.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
stork23raz View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/2010 at 09:04
Thanks.
No, I dont remember how many clicks i got left. I did my cards out to 250. i am pretty sure i got enough for that. The SS has lot of adjustments hard to rememmber where im at in the line. I can consistently hit one oft hsoe 3.5" target at a150 (makes a nice ping after the gun shot). I havent tryied 200, but i think I could prob hit a 4" not to bad. 300yards I think would require somethhing pretty big. maybe a 9" or 12" at that distance. not for sure. I just no that thing starts dropping like a rock. I dont have a range finder so i have to mil it. I can really tell to if im just off by a few yards as it stretches out there, a few yards of milling error leads to a miss very easy.  Me and my buddy shot it. Pretty neat watching the trace of a 22 through my spotter. 
Id like to see how far I can hit. But i still like to practice at closers 20-50 yards. At 20 the gun will pretty much hit the same hole. So its definiyl good practice cause I know if that bullet doesnt go in that same hole its my fault. Practice practice practice. 
Im trying to practice shooting diffenet position to . other than prone. I hate it. Cause I suck, but that  just means I need to get better at it.

But if anyone else in interested in shooting "long range" a savage 22 with a ss scope is a cheap and very effective way to go. Def a good stepping stone, before you go out and buy a 308 or some big ass rifle you can afford to shoot or you dont like the recoil.
And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/2010 at 17:01
I stepped up to the "big dog" long range rifle.... in 17 HMR. Little spendy to shoot, but makes life interesting out to 400 yards. You are about as likely to run out of windage as elevation.Big Smile 
Nice "long range" setup. More people should get into it that way. It is still a challenge, you learn the basic skills, and it's cheap.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/2010 at 19:23
Love shooting the 22LR and 17s.  Great practice and doesn't break the bank.  It is really good practice and I can have fun doing that for hours.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/01/2010 at 02:38
Nice rig and setup. I had to read twice on the 22 cal. !!!
Must be good practice and enjoyable fun.
SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/01/2010 at 10:24
Nice.  We often forget how much you can learn from shooting a .22lr and how much fun it can be.  
stork23raz View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/01/2010 at 10:45
Yea it was actually really funny, I decided to show my uncle the rifle, hes in his mid 60's. I personally have never met anyone that shoots as many animals as he does. Been hunting since a child, ya know the type. Hes a little bit more old school, does really know about thing about cranking knobs, MOA, etc. He just mounts a leupold on it shoots a flat flying load.
Anyway I took my 22 over there, I told him he prob  never seen anything like it. There was a bird in the field about 130 yards away.(no wind that day) I adjusted the knobs and gave him the 22. He fired, 1 dead bird. He said "hell, didnt know a 22 could do that"

3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2010 at 11:54
Now you have learned two important lessons.
1. Most shooters with scopes have no idea of how they should be used.
2. The reason so many scoped rifle shooters never understand the difference between a $40.00 scope and a $400.00 scope is its mechanical ability to repeat settings.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic