OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Rifle Scopes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CDLEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rifle Scopes
    Posted: June/29/2010 at 14:32
I recently purchased a Browning X-bolt 300WM.  I have Burris Fullfied II scopes on my other rifles, any thoughts of doing the same with this one or should I possible consider others.  Budget is around $500 range for discussion purposes and plans for use are elk hunting.  Thanks
swtucker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swtucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2010 at 14:41
I'd get a Zeiss Conguest in 3x9-40....they're really good scopes for the money.
If you call your shotgun a "shottie"....what do you call your pistol?
Monster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2010 at 15:18
Originally posted by swtucker swtucker wrote:

+1 the conquest gets a lot of votes for that price point
"Get Busy Livin' or get busy dyin'" -Red (Shawshank Redemption)
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2010 at 15:27
 +2

"I ain't got time to bleed!"
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2010 at 15:36

+3

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
biggreen747 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2010 at 16:35
In your price range I would also consider the Bushnell Elite 4200. These scopes have rainguard and though I don't personally have one (I have 2  Burris Six X with Storm Coat, same type of deal) I want a scope with a water repellant coating since it inevitably snows/rains whenever I go Elk hunting. I wish Zeiss would put the LotuTec coating on the Conquest Models. It would make them unbeatable in that price category.

Edited by biggreen747 - June/29/2010 at 16:39
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2010 at 16:47
   Here's another I've caught some positive bits and pieces on including the OL Mag Optics Review article:

Meopta 3-9x42 Meopro Rifle Scope
Stock # - MEO524370
  • Matte
  • 1"
Specifications
Weight (oz): 16

Length (in): 16
Eye Relief (in): 3.75
Field of View @ 100 yards (ft): 36.3
Exit Pupil (in): --
Focal Plane: 2nd

Meopta 3-9x42 Meopro Rifle Scope

$399.95
stork23raz View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2010 at 16:51
Originally posted by Monster Monster wrote:

Originally posted by swtucker swtucker wrote:

+1 the conquest gets a lot of votes for that price point

+4
And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew 10:28
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2010 at 17:08
All the above are great options, if your happy with the FFII I don't see a reason why you couldn't mount that also.  While the FFII isn't optically as nice as the scopes listed above, its just as durable.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
stork23raz View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2010 at 17:11
For the same amount of money as the Ziess, I really doubt you can find better glass than that.
And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew 10:28
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2010 at 17:13
Originally posted by lucytuma lucytuma wrote:

All the above are great options, if your happy with the FFII I don't see a reason why you couldn't mount that also.  While the FFII isn't optically as nice as the scopes listed above, its just as durable.

ABSOLUTELY!!
CDLEE View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CDLEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2010 at 18:11

Thanks to all who have replied.  I have never considered a Zeiss, always thought the cost to be beyond what I would want to pay.  However, the Conquest clearly is within my price range.  I have liked my Burris FFII, yet have found them to have condensation build up on the outside of the lens in certain light rainy situations, even when not exposed directly to the rain. .  Not sure if that applies to all scopes.

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2010 at 18:29

If you have the condensation problem alot you may want to go with the Elite 4200. You'd be giving up VERY LITTLE to a Conquest plus you'd have the Rainguard feature,

Bushnell 3-9x40 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope
Stock # - 423944M
  • Matte
  • Multi-X
  • 1"
  • Rainguard
  • Free Fleece Pullover (Mail-In Coupon)
Specifications
Weight (oz): 13

Multi-X

Length (in): 12.6
Eye Relief (in): 3.3
Field of View @ 100yds (ft): 33.8 - 11.5
Exit Pupil (mm): 13.3 - 4.4
MOA: 1/4
Lens Coating: Fully Multi-Coated
Warranty: Limited Lifetime
Reviews - Average Rating: (based on 4 reviews)

Showing 4 Reviews:

by Derek
on 4/3/2010
Great scope for the money! If this scope weren't such a great value ($216 after price match shipped to my door) I would have given it a 4 rather than a 5. The optics are very clear, there is no doubt about that. The field of view is decent. They have been bench tested with 375H&H Mags and this one is on my .270, so I'm sure I'll never have recoil issues and that is a big plus to me. The scope looks pretty good (I would rate that about a 3 maybe 4, but looks don't matter to me so much as performance). My main issue was the length of the tube. It BARELY cleared mounting on my Stevens 200 .270 with my Talley rings. I just would have liked the option to move it backwards some to keep me from having to crane my neck so much to get the full view of the scope and the eye relief could be more to maybe accommodate this issue. Other than that, nothing wrong with it at all! Great scope!
by Martin3175
on 12/12/2009
Today's best value in a rifle scope ! I am a big fan of the 4200 series of rifle scopes. They have it all- excellent optics, good looks, durable, great tracking ,fantastic customer service and warranty, and the big plus-Rainguard. I own half a dozen 4200's, and all have proven to be trouble free, and some of the firearms they are on are relatively hard kickers ( 300 Weatherby , 300 Rem ultramag, and a 338 mag ) . On more than one occasion, the rainguard allowed a shot to be taken when fellow hunters were pulling out shirt tales to clear their fogged lenses. If you are on a sub $300 budget and looking for a $600 product - this is it .. Higly recommended and a bargain !
by pyro6999
on 12/8/2009
Best bang for your buck!! The 4200 Elite has to be the best scope value in the sub $300 class. The Rainguard feature is great!! This scope has been on top of my .375H&H for a year now and is as tough as Bushnell says. Great scope for the money no doubt.
by supertool73
on 12/8/2009
One of the best buys in optics I have two of these. One has lived on an AR-15 its whole life and has performed very well. The other gets moved around a lot. It has been on a 7mm, a 45-70, a .357 mag lever rifle, a .22 and currently on an AR in 6.8 Rem. SPC. They have held up very well and have great optics for any legal shooting time in Utah. The Rainguard is a great feature and adds a ton of value to these scopes. No matter what weather I am hunting in I can always count on these scopes.
Review and Rate this Item
Al Vigil
The Rifle is Savage .308 10FP 24" Bar...
CDLEE View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CDLEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2010 at 19:01
Thanks. elk hunting in CO one nevers knows what type of weather to expect.  Is there a product one can put on the outisde of the lens to prevent this on my other scopes. 
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2010 at 19:04
Only downside to the 4200 is the eye relief is not as good as some, but I never had a problem with mine.  Good optics, and I love the rainguard.

Is there any mag range you were looking at?  
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
CDLEE View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CDLEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2010 at 19:18
The other scope recommended is the Zeiss Conquest which has an eye relief of 4". The 4200 has 3.3".  Not sure that is a big difference.  Anyway, max range for me is 400-500 yards.  Beyond that range I personally don't feel comfortable taking the shot. 
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2010 at 20:20
Conquest,
Elite 4200,
Leupy VX-3,
Vortex Viper

These are all great scopes in your price range.
Burris FF2s are good scopes, but the ones above are ... above it.

Sounds like a good elk setup anyway.
-Matt
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2010 at 23:24
If you go for the FFII go to the 4.5-14. The glass is way better than what is in the 3-9 versions of the FFII. I have the 4.5-14 and it will resolve almost as good as the Zeiss at long distance. The Zeiss has better contrast and color that makes it a lot easier to look through.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/2010 at 06:27
There is a spray on product called Parker's Perfect that aids in defogging scopes, glasses, binos, etc.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/2010 at 06:30
Originally posted by bugsNbows bugsNbows wrote:

There is a spray on product called Parker's Perfect that aids in defogging scopes, glasses, binos, etc.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic