OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

CWD problems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CWD problems
    Posted: June/28/2010 at 14:03
  Just great! NOT!!!!!!!  I'm in Minearl Cty but hunt Hampshire also. 

CWD area expanded to all of Hampshire County
Monday, June 28, 2010 -
Email a Friend
Print This Article

HAMPSHIRE COUNTY, W.Va. – With the cooperation of local landowners, the West Virginia Division of Natural Resources (DNR) tested 152 deer collected from within one to two miles of previously known locations of Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) infected deer.  Testing detected the CWD agent in a total of 12 white-tailed deer sampled during the 2010 spring collections in Hampshire County, according to the DNR.

The detection of 15 CWD positive deer during the fall 2009 hunting season, combined with this spring’s testing results, has required the expansion of the CWD Containment Area to include all of Hampshire County. Within the CWD Containment Area, supplemental feeding and baiting of deer is prohibited and there are transport restrictions for deer carcasses leaving the county.

The spring CWD monitoring of deer provides an incidence rate of infected CWD deer in the area of established infection and removes CWD positive deer from the landscape. In addition, wildlife biologists also use the information to monitor changes in age structure and reproduction in the deer herd within the established CWD infected area.

The first case of CWD in West Virginia was confirmed on September 2, 2005.  Since that time, the DNR has been fully engaged in activities guided by its CWD Incident Response Plan, which is designed to accomplish the following objectives:

• Determine the distribution and prevalence of CWD through enhanced surveillance efforts.
  • Communicate and coordinate with the public and other appropriate agencies on issues relating to CWD and the steps being taken to respond to this disease.
  • Initiate appropriate management actions necessary to control the spread of this disease and prevent further introduction of the disease.

To date, CWD surveillance efforts conducted by the DNR have resulted in a total of 74 deer being confirmed positive for CWD in Hampshire County. Ongoing and extensive surveillance efforts being conducted by Wildlife Resources Section personnel throughout West Virginia has not detected CWD outside of Hampshire County.

CWD is a neurological disease found in deer and elk and belongs to a family of diseases known as transmissible spongiform encephalopathies.  The disease is currently accepted as being caused by abnormal, proteinaceous particles called prions that slowly attack the brain of infected deer and elk. Anim

"I ain't got time to bleed!"
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2010 at 14:06
Kinda like mad cow for deer?!?!?!
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2010 at 14:19
 yep
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2010 at 19:54

We supposedly have it in Wisconsin,  I believe they blow it way out of proportion and sometimes wonder if it isn't driven by the car insurance companies trying to eradicate car vs. deer claims. 

Anyway expect "Earn a Buck" to be implemented, for every doe you shoot you eliminate three deer (the doe and its two offspring). Soon to be followed with as many doe tags as you care to buy, usually $2.00 to $3.00 dollars per tag.  This will ensue until there is nothing left to hunt, just like we have in my lovely state of Wisconsin.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2010 at 19:56
Originally posted by lucytuma lucytuma wrote:

We supposedly have it in Wisconsin,  I believe they blow it way out of proportion and sometimes wonder if it isn't driven by the car insurance companies trying to eradicate car vs. deer claims. 

Anyway expect "Earn a Buck" to be implemented, for every doe you shoot you eliminate three deer (the doe and its two offspring). Soon to be followed with as many doe tags as you care to buy, usually $2.00 to $3.00 dollars per tag.  This will ensue until there is nothing left to hunt, just like we have in my lovely state of Wisconsin.

we "supposedly have it in minnesota as well as bovine tb. and  they have an area in the northwest corner of the state that has a special season to thin out these "supposedly" infected heards. well after two years of this hunt, they have yet to find a deer in that area that has cwd.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2010 at 20:44
 We've had a liberal (I HATE that word!) bag limit on deer for 25+yrs.  You'd not believe the deer population we had here 30yrs ago.  They actually irradicated certain species of vegetation and kept the underbrush cropped to the point that certain species of animals were run out of the area or died off.  The browse line was unreal.  Really there are still too many even though the numbers are way down.  BUT with the loss of most of our public hunting land and permisson to hunt on private property almost nonexistant they're going to increase.
  As far as CWD goes,I've talked to two friends who are game biologists for our district (one is the head biologist) and they tell me that CWD has been around out west since the 60's. The main concern with it is that for the most part it's dormant in the animals but if it ever goes active widespread,which it never has,it would be devastating.  I read an article some yrs back about CWD in mule deer in which it said it could,if the situation was right,virtually wipe them out. 
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2010 at 20:47
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2010 at 21:06
 Our problem here is we don't have access to them.  Now we're having the same issue with bears.  We've had more bear damage complaints since last yr than ever.  In fact for the first time ever you'll be able to shoot a legal bear during rifle season for deer.  But again comes the access problem.  My biologist friends are totally frustrated cause like they say,how do you fix a problem if you can't use the proper tool. Also you can't make a landowner open their property to hunting.  They've both told me their main job anymore is dealing with wildlife complaints.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2010 at 21:07
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

Our problem here is we don't have access to them.  Now we're having the same issue with bears.  We've had more bear damage complaints since last yr than ever.  In fact for the first time ever you'll be able to shoot a legal bear during rifle season for deer.  But again comes the access problem.  My biologist friends are totally frustrated cause like they say,how do you fix a problem if you can't use the proper tool. Also you can't make a landowner open their property to hunting.  They've both told me their main job anymore is dealing with wildlife complaints.

all will take is a couple of little kids getting mauled, or worse killed and things will have to change.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2010 at 21:19
 Well,as I'm sure you agree,it shouldn't have to come to that.  We've had a couple adults(acting like kids)get mauled in the past two yrs.  Add together the Disney mentality of the urbanites who've moved in over the past 10-15yrs or so,bear not being afraid of humans,DNR not being able to control the bear population, and you end up with a bad situation. 
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2010 at 21:29
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

Well,as I'm sure you agree,it shouldn't have to come to that.  We've had a couple adults(acting like kids)get mauled in the past two yrs.  Add together the Disney mentality of the urbanites who've moved in over the past 10-15yrs or so,bear not being afraid of humans,DNR not being able to control the bear population, and you end up with a bad situation. 

and thats part of whats really going wrong in this country, everybody has that disney idea of a cute cuddly creature, then the harse reality sets in and they get mauled severely and thats a life altering event. then they spend the rest of their retarded life going why did that cute animal do this to me??Loco duh hello its a bear.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2010 at 21:40
 YEP!!

I always told my buddies that if things got bad,hunting wise,around here that I'd just go some place else.  Looks like I"m going to be eating those words.  Luckily my daughter and SIL just bought a place in Virginia that is within walking distance of the George Washington National Forest. LOTS of walk in only access.  He's been scouting things out.  I do have a few places around me to hunt but I need room to roam and it's just not here anymore.

Well Hunter,I got an early day ahead so I'm signing off for the night. AS USUAL,it's been GOOD talking with ya.  You have a good evening.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2010 at 23:29
Natures way of eliminating the stupid.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2010 at 06:45
 Your right,Wes! But in the mean time their harming the land,vegetation,and animals they say they are protecting.
SD Dog View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2010 at 09:48
SD GFP (Game Fish & Parks) said that CWD was entering the state in the NW from ND.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic