OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

What's The Most Rugged Scope

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What's The Most Rugged Scope
    Posted: June/28/2010 at 12:02

I'm looking for opinions or first hand experience on what you guys out there consider the best scope for ruggedness and holding zero. Would prefer glass quality very good to excellent

Thanks, BB
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2010 at 12:13
SS 3x9 or SS 10XHD  end of discussion
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2010 at 12:17
 In it's price range,plus some,this would be one of those at the top:
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2010 at 12:24
SS scopes (from everything i've read and heard) and Bushnell's elite 4200's can be dropped off a cliff and still function....
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

"Issac Newton invented gravity because some asshole hit him with an apple"
-Chris Moltisanti
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2010 at 13:11

Hopefully BigDaddy will stick his head in here and tell you how tough the SS scopes are

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Bad Bob View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2010 at 13:27
How do any of you feel about the Swarv PH, AV or Conquest????

BB
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2010 at 14:10
 I can only speak about the Conquest (4X in particular).  Other than not knowing how it will hold up (I recently got it) there is NOTHING I don't like about it.
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2010 at 14:19
I have a 10X SS I ran over with my truck a few years ago and it still works like a charm. I had it leaning on the front tire on the drivers side and drove right off with it still there. The front tire ran over the action/scope at a 45 degree angle and the back tire just monster trucked it.  I droped the 3X SS from about 4 feet off my loading bench a few times while testing it and changint the rifles it was on. it work perfect after picking it up off the floor. I would say they are crazy tuff.
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
stork23raz View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2010 at 14:22
Originally posted by Bigdaddy0381 Bigdaddy0381 wrote:

I have a 10X SS I ran over with my truck a few years ago and it still works like a charm. I had it leaning on the front tire on the drivers side and drove right off with it still there. The front tire ran over the action/scope at a 45 degree angle and the back tire just monster trucked it.  I droped the 3X SS from about 4 feet off my loading bench a few times while testing it and changint the rifles it was on. it work perfect after picking it up off the floor. I would say they are crazy tuff.

Enough said, unless someone happened to run over their SS with an Abrams.
And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew 10:28
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2010 at 14:26
No, not yet but give it time and I will try it. Althought the tire was 38in's tall if that matters.
I picked it up wiped the cow poo off it and it never lost its zero.
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
stork23raz View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2010 at 14:39

I dont think any one mentioned the SS10HD glass(i personally have not seen it ) but the reports are it is REALLLLLLLLY GOOD. For the money I doubt you will find a tougher scope with glass that can beat the SS10HD.

And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew 10:28
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2010 at 16:29
I have a SS10x HD,several Conquest, Bushnell Elite 6500,& a few other top quality scopes,None compare to the SWFA SS10x HD.The only other baseball bats  I know of are 3x the price of the SS & I don't think they will mechanically outdo the SS,but they do have better glass by a small margin!
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2010 at 17:30

If you ever ask to borrow a rifle, remind me to just refer you to pyro or KickBoxer...
That is all.

Edited by Alan Robertson - June/28/2010 at 17:36
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
powderburn View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2010 at 17:47
   Most of my scopes haven't really lived that tuff of a life in terms of driving a vehicle over them. I have found the old steel tube weavers pretty tuff. My 4x was knocked off the bench once and when I picked it up it was still on zero and working fine. I also had an old K10 years ago. It was sitting on the ground on a harris bipod on one of our ground hog hunts. Buddy kicked it over and when it fell it hit the edge of a rock sticking out of the ground and made a pretty large dent in the side perpendicular to the tube just ahed of the turrets. It worked fine and since I was poorer than Job's turkey I used it like that for a couple of years . I eventually traded it off on a rifle because it just bugged me to look at it.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2010 at 18:34
Either my SS variable, or my Burris scopes.  Have had a couple of the Burris (FFII and Black Diamond) scopes rolled on by horses and survived fine.  Carried all of them on horse hunts.  And horses are not easy on scopes.  Plus all the miles banging around in my truck.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2010 at 19:09
One forum member rigged up a recoil machine and pounded a bunch of scopes to oblivion.
Vortex Viper came out real tough, which is just what other forum members say about them.

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=15930&PN=1

Made it hot

Edited by tahqua - June/28/2010 at 19:14
Corndawg View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corndawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2010 at 21:21
Me and a buddy were in gun store back in the late '90's, and happended upon some NightForce scopes in the case. We had never seen or heard of them at that time. We got the sales guy to let us handle one, and after a few questions, the dude said, "watch this".
He grabbed the small end and slammed the bell down on a padded bar stool, pretty freak'n hard I might add, and said, "betcha can't do that with your scope at home".

I like to measure powder by the cup.

You can tell a lot about a man by the edge he keeps on his pocket knife.

ROLLTIDE!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2010 at 21:27
Originally posted by Alan Robertson Alan Robertson wrote:

If you ever ask to borrow a rifle, remind me to just refer you to pyro or KickBoxer...
That is all.

kickboxer has me beat, his guns take down trees, mine just shoot through them.Bucky
bd has a .458win mag right now ask him about it.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2010 at 21:30
Originally posted by Corndawg Corndawg wrote:

Me and a buddy were in gun store back in the late '90's, and happended upon some NightForce scopes in the case. We had never seen or heard of them at that time. We got the sales guy to let us handle one, and after a few questions, the dude said, "watch this".
He grabbed the small end and slammed the bell down on a padded bar stool, pretty freak'n hard I might add, and said, "betcha can't do that with your scope at home".

Shoulda asked to buy that one at half price.  Bucky
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2010 at 21:38
Most quality fixed power scopes are very tough.  If you will be using it for hunting I would look strongly at the Leupold FX3   6x42 with long range duplex.   If you can live with a fixed 10 the Super Sniper 10x HD is a very nice scope and what is on my rifle.  You need to decide if you want tactical knobs or not and how you will use it makes a big difference in what is the right choice.  If you find that you are in that really really good scope crowd the tactical Zeiss Heinsold is the best scope in the world. 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic