OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdt30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14
    Posted: June/28/2010 at 07:32
This has probably been covered before, but I haven't had any luck with the search function.  I'm looking to purchase the conquest with the rapid z 1000 reticle, and I wanted some opinions before the purchase.  I'll be mounting it on a 308, and would like to use it for shooting about anything with four legs in Oklahoma.  I would also like to use it for a little long range target shooting also.  My other question is why do they sell the the rapid z with target knobs if the rapid z reticle helps compensate for bullet drop for the different ranges?
Thanks in advance. 

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2010 at 07:40
Originally posted by jdt30 jdt30 wrote:

This has probably been covered before, but I haven't had any luck with the search function.  I'm looking to purchase the conquest with the rapid z 1000 reticle, and I wanted some opinions before the purchase.  I'll be mounting it on a 308, and would like to use it for shooting about anything with four legs in Oklahoma.  I would also like to use it for a little long range target shooting also.  My other question is why do they sell the the rapid z with target knobs if the rapid z reticle helps compensate for bullet drop for the different ranges?
Thanks in advance. 
The personal preference a shooter may have to dial in correction would explain the target turrets even with the holdover points.  I may be wrong on this but i believe that the POI with the reticle is only true on one power of the scope as well and if a shooter wanted to use it at different powers dialing in may be the best way to achieve the best accuracy .  Then again just cause they are on there doesn't mean you have to spin them either.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2010 at 07:52
That is a really good question, and I have no idea. You'd think they would put low turrets on bdc reticles and that would be that. But I'm sure glad they do. I use the 6x24 with the Z1000 it has target turrets. With bullets having a bc around .5 and muzzle velocity of about 2600, the 500 yrd center is about 5.5 mil or 10 moa lift. If one zeros at 5.5 (depending on the load) cranking it back to zero gives you the 100 zero for poi, and then the reticle can be used for any load or gun not just 308. It also allows for fine tuning when using the drop reticle -- something like a head wind , where you might want to add just a little elevation and still use a center of mass hold on the target. The 800 yd. mark is about the limit as the 900 and 1000 marks are at the bottom of the scope and even with the diavari's great lenses distortion at 1000 yds is noticable and its hard to see strikes. And thats at 24x your conquest is on 14. You will also need a 20 moa rail so the reticle will be better centered at 500 yds. for the conquest. You might look at the z800 although the spaces between the hash marks appeard closer together. The 800 would work well, for 1000 use the 800 hold and dial in the 1000 yd correction. It takes longer to talk about it, than just doing it. Heres a TRG with the Dia, and an R5 with the conquest.Note this 4.14 doesn't have the target turrets.
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

jdt30 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdt30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2010 at 10:23
Thanks,
Both of your answeres help explain the target turrets.  Unfortunately, they both expose my ignorance in long range shooting.  I've been an iron sight shooter up until now.  Is their scope buying and shooting guide for dumbies?Big Smile  It might save me from carpal tunnel syndrom I could possibly get from typing all the questions I have.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2010 at 10:39
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2010 at 10:53
jdt30 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdt30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2010 at 13:38
Appreciate it.
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2010 at 13:57
Hello jdt30
I'm a fan of the RZ reticles, having 1 scope with the RZ600.
I'm sure that you are aware that the RZ1000 is designed to have the center crossbar zeroed at 500 yards, making a 100 yd zero on the very top hashmark, diminishing your field of view for close- in shots.

Others have said (including Zeiss reps- call them and they will advise you of same) that the RZ1000 isn't the best all- around hunting reticle and that another RZ reticle might be a better choice.

Long range shooting, especially at distances of 1000 yards is difficult and requires a very high level of effort to master.

If you just gotta have one, go for it.
Good to see yet another Oklahoman here.
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
jdt30 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdt30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2010 at 17:13
Alan,
Yeah, after Dale and SVT_Tactical's posts I've been doing a little more research.  The odds of me going out and shooting at a 1000yd range are pretty slim.  I'll definately be looking at the 800 or 600.  I appreciate the input, reading brochures and reviews doesn't always get you the information you need. 
Thanks,

Josh
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic