OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Optic Reviews and Tests > Member's Tests and Reviews
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Vortex Viper PST 4-16X50 FFP Initial Impressions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Vortex Viper PST 4-16X50 FFP Initial Impressions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2010 at 14:47
Yeah, I think the upcoming models in the SS HD line are going to displace quite a few NF's, as well as Leupolds, IORs, Vortex's, etc, off of rifles.  
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2010 at 14:50
Originally posted by Jon A Jon A wrote:

Yeah, I think the upcoming models in the SS HD line are going to displace quite a few NF's, as well as Leupolds, IORs, Vortex's, etc, off of rifles.  

What do you think the SS HD's will cost there Jon? Competitive pricing, i'd think SWFA will beat them all. Im itching to see the newest addition to the SS line!
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

"Issac Newton invented gravity because some asshole hit him with an apple"
-Chris Moltisanti
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2010 at 16:34
Any set date on SS 2.5-10 or 5-20 & will the glass be the same as the 10x HD ?
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2010 at 21:39
I can only speculate what the prices will be.  But if you note the 10X SS HD is $800 and it's a fixed power, without sidefocus or illumination and with a standard mildot reticle, it's reasonable to expect the 2.5-10 and 5-20 will be a bit more. 

I assume they'll have glass on par with the 10X but haven't heard anything specific.  In short, they should be fantastic scopes but I would expect them to be a notch up the price scale from the PST's.  Bang for the buck factor should be big though.  I have no idea on dates.

That's just my speculation at this point, but hopefully it's not too far off and will give you guys some idea what to expect.

This is quickly becoming the golden age of scopes with so many good choices across the price spectrum.

Edited by Jon A - July/23/2010 at 21:40
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2010 at 12:06
Thanks Jon........
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
tejas View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2010 at 08:57
I dont do any long range range shooting but that was an interesting read. Thats a beautiful rifle. As an avid photographer I like your photos as well.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2010 at 12:33
Jon, did you ever get the problems you had with this scope resolved?  What was the outcome of it?
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2010 at 14:31
I'm waiting on the replacement, but still using this one in the meantime.  Other than the things I noted it has been doing fine.
Vedak View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vedak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2010 at 06:43
Just read this, Bummer. I hope Vortex has fixed this. I was dead set on purchasing this scope but now I'm not sure.

On to more research.
Thanks for the detailed review btw.
I like rice.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2010 at 07:14
They are holding back the release of the scope to address all these problems.  The new ones that come out will be correct.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Vedak View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vedak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2010 at 07:20
Any idea on when these kinks will be worked out?
I don't mind waiting, if the issues will get fixed. Might go with a SS 10x42 to hold me over.
I like rice.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2010 at 07:28
I think you'd be fine to start with the SS10x.  hell you would be fine to use it for as long as it fulfills your needs.   SS has a 5-20 in the works currently that will be nothing short of amazing when it is released, but there is no timeframe yet.  There are two members on this forum from Vortex both have acknowledged that the PST will be out when they are right and not before.  Before the end of the year hopefully but I wouldn't put my money on anything because they are at the mercy of the manufacturer.  They do not want to put a scope out that will fail and not live up to the claims.  The 10X SS is a great scope.  the 10X HD is an awesome scope as is the 3-9 SS  If you want better glass setup  to the 3-9 or 10Xhd and you'll never look back. not that the standard 10x is bad but they are in a different league.  Good thing about all the SS's though, they hold there value great!
Vedak View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vedak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2010 at 08:15
Thanks SVT, I'd prefer to stick with the standard 10SS(although variable would be my main choice). Mostly because it's to hold me over, and I would not want to spend too much- being that I do plan on purchasing a nice variable from either Vortex or SS when they are released/fixed. I keep seeing mentions of the 5-20SS, that would be such a sweet scope.

Most of this, is me just over thinking. And having seen many posts by reps/people from Vortex, it makes me feel very confident in them as a company.
I like rice.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2010 at 08:21
i would say they are the most in touch with the community of all the companies.  I have called and talked to both several times.  I would even feel confident in you using a standard viper for a hold over scope.
Prieto9000 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prieto9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2010 at 16:22
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

i would say they are the most in touch with the community of all the companies.  I have called and talked to both several times.  I would even feel confident in you using a standard viper for a hold over scope.

That's exactly what I did. I placed an order for a 6-24X50 FFP in august and bought a 6.5-20X50 TD for temporary use wich i plan on mounting on my target .22 L.R. once the PST is here.

In my experience Standard Vipers have Great Glass. Even better than higher priced scopes. I compared my 6.5-20X44 and 6.5-20X50 side by side with a 8.5-25X50 VX-III and a 5-20X44Monarch @10x, 15x and 20x and liked the Viper Better.

I hope the glass on the PST is really an upgrade from the standard viper. I can't wait to get mine in my hands.

Edited by Prieto9000 - October/22/2010 at 16:22
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2010 at 18:44
Just saw this thread... another outstanding review Jon!!!  Excellent

Thank you once again!

“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2010 at 19:51
I've been meaning to update this thread as well.  There really isn't much to add to the above--no surprises, the scope has just worked very well as expected.

I didn't keep an exact round count but it survived somewhere around 100 rounds from my light weight 300 RUM shooting 240's at just under 3K fps with no ill effects, so that's a pretty good recoil durability test.  I did lots more shooting at long range with it, here's a pic at 1057 yds shooting an 18" gong (through some fog/clouds):

Tracking was very repeatable and reliable.

While I didn't take it on my pack in elk hunt, I did use it a fair amount hunting whitetails, including a lot of brush hunting on my lightweight 7-08.  I did try it as is, but after only a few minutes into the first hunt the turrets had moved a couple times just from the way I was carrying it, so I taped them up:

Orange fuzz from my vest....  With the nice FFP reticle I was still ready for any long shot that may have been presented.

One of the better features in the thick stuff was the reticle.  Many get concerned about using a FFP on low power in low light but the reticle is sized such that it would do OK without the illumination.  Not great, but certainly OK.  

But with the very good illumination, it goes from OK to excellent for such use.  Here are a couple pics I took long ago to show how the reticle looks on 4X in low light:

Anyway, I assume my replacement should be here fairly shortly.  I'll keep all of you updated on how they compare.
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2011 at 15:03
Well, the replacement 4-16 is here.  Now I haven't shot with it yet or even looked through it in daylight but figured you guys would like to know:

Turret feel--fantastic!  Much stiffer and solid feel, much less likely to turn accidentally.  Very quality feel.

Tracking check--reticle is straight as an arrow.  Clicks are dead nuts on--or as I said with the Premier earlier in this thread if there's any deviation it's smaller than the accuracy to which I can measure.  Perfect as far as I'm concerned.

That's it.  Sorry if this highly anticipated review was anti-climactic, but that's the way I like it.  I'll take no drama any day.
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2011 at 16:38
Sounds like Vortex has ironed things out...should be a winner for them (and buyers).
Reaction time is a factor...
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2011 at 14:16
Originally posted by Jon A Jon A wrote:

Well, the replacement 4-16 is here.  Now I haven't shot with it yet or even looked through it in daylight but figured you guys would like to know:

Turret feel--fantastic!  Much stiffer and solid feel, much less likely to turn accidentally.  Very quality feel.

Tracking check--reticle is straight as an arrow.  Clicks are dead nuts on--or as I said with the Premier earlier in this thread if there's any deviation it's smaller than the accuracy to which I can measure.  Perfect as far as I'm concerned.

That's it.  Sorry if this highly anticipated review was anti-climactic, but that's the way I like it.  I'll take no drama any day.

I have had a chance to look at two new production 2.5-10x44 PST scopes and I concur that knobs are very good and track perfectly.  I am also impressed with long eyerelief and overall build quality.

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic