OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Which One ???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DOGGOD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which One ???
    Posted: October/13/2005 at 20:24
I've read tons of articles and compared many scopes. I would like to here what you think. I read someone rating scopes but only in regards to the brightness. I am interested in what is the best 1" scope made and why. I do have an opinion but want to listen. Thanks..
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2005 at 20:59
Your question isn't specific enough. best for what use. It seems your question is rhetorical. If you view the "best" from engineering specs. largest toughest screws etc. you will get one answer. If you ask the questions from people who use scopes in competitive events you will get another answer, why isn't the number one sales of a particular scope the best scope? Sometimes dollars account for the biggest difference. and lastly I haven't even found a suitable answer for brightness in terms of scopes. What some of the writers in this forum assume as brightness in certain wavelengths yes-but no suitable definition. (so many lumens in so many lumens out) even if the construction and between the many scopes were the same. Which brings up another question if brightness cannot be defined what criteria should be used. Some closed set ranking system as propagated at other places in this forum. Ok then, when does a scope not become a candidate for the closed exclusive set of best scope?.
DOGGOD View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DOGGOD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2005 at 17:20
Well, no I was not that specific due to allowing a wider range of responses. But what I am really am looking for is the best all around scope for hunting. I hunt through out the country and enjoy shooting from 100 to 500 yds. I need a scope that in rugged, bright and would be a scope I wouldn't have to buy another one for that rifle. Remember only 1" scopes.
ENGINEERING, TECHNOLOGY, BRIGHTNESS, HUNTING QUALITIES

and yes why isn't the number one sales of a particular scope the best scope? good answer money   the normal americans answer

so do you hunt?   if so what kind of scope do you use and why ?   what did you pay and why? and what did you rate when buying a scope?   thanks alot
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2005 at 05:25

My favorite 1" hunting scope would be the Ziess VM/V.

(The Swaro "A" series is a close second.)

My favorite 1" hunting scope UNDER a grand, is the Zeiss Conquest.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2005 at 03:02

I think Dale is correct, only he left out personal preference or bias which I am guilty of. I would say;

What is the scope be used for- Eastern Whitetails ( Stand Hunting ) ?

Would it used for the many disciplines of competition shooting as Dale referred too?

A Western Big Game or combo hunt?

Long range desert dogs/ Prairie puppies?

Short range dangerous game?

As far as brightness is concerned, there are 10 different grades of optical glass and dozens of proprietary lens coatings.

I am not trying to crack your coconuts here, but , as Dale stated try to be a little more specific and we will try to help you out as best as we can.

Edited by Roy Finn
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2005 at 01:53
If I had to make a choice, it would probably be the Swarvoski AV 3-10x42 w/ the TDS reticle for under 1K. That seems to be the overwhelming choice. They use the same glass and lens coatings as the do in their 30mm line at roughly 1/2 the cost. This is assuming that you are using the scope for general big game hunting. Swarovski seems to be the top choice of custom riflesmiths who use or make top grade equipment on their rifles that demand big bucks for their rifles.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic