OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Zeiss Conquest 3x9 quality?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Txaggie9307 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zeiss Conquest 3x9 quality?
    Posted: June/26/2010 at 09:44
Hey guys,

Is the Zeiss Conquest 3x9 40mm scope of lesser quality than the 3x9 50mm scope?  I have read multiple forum posts that indicate the 3x9 40 conquest is of lesser quality than the other conquest models.  Is this true?
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2010 at 09:55
 I've heard/read that to but the way I figure it,why would Zeiss manufacture lesser quality parts just for one scope in the Conquest line.  Now whether there are certain characteristics of that scope that some would label "lesser quality" than the others I don't know. I never really followed through trying to find out simply because no one complains about the 3-9x40 Conquest.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2010 at 10:04
burris did that with the fullfieldII's, the ones they offered with a spotting scope or a pair of binos wasnt the same scope as the FFII's that came by themselves, now in zeiss's case i do believe that it only applies to the models with the zplex reticle, now the differences are minor at best and its nothing to worry about and i dont know that anybody could tell the difference anyway.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2010 at 11:47
First time I've heard this?????
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2010 at 11:56
Originally posted by Txaggie9307 Txaggie9307 wrote:

Hey guys,

Is the Zeiss Conquest 3x9 40mm scope of lesser quality than the 3x9 50mm scope?  I have read multiple forum posts that indicate the 3x9 40 conquest is of lesser quality than the other conquest models.  Is this true?

Originally posted by lucytuma lucytuma wrote:

First time I've heard this?????

Me too.

Edited by mike650 - June/26/2010 at 14:21
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2010 at 12:16
Originally posted by Txaggie9307 Txaggie9307 wrote:

Hey guys,
 I have read multiple forum posts that indicate the 3x9 40 conquest is of lesser quality than the other conquest models.  Is this true?

No. 
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2010 at 13:39
I don't know if this helps but I compared my 3-9x40 vs. my 3.5-10x50 & I seen no difference in the glass.They were compared at mid day.From what I understand all the conquest glass is produced by Meopta to Zeiss specifications,I don,t think there would be any difference.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2010 at 14:09
let me explain what i posted, a few years back (some of you that were here then) the conquest was like $300, for a few months, i have information from a very reliable source that those scopes the were priced at $300 were not the same scope as the normal zeiss conquest. believe me or not that's fine i wont pass judgement, but in that case they were not the same scope, dont ask me why they did that but they did. i dont think they do that any more though, as every conquest ive looked at since then seemed alike.

Edited by pyro6999 - June/26/2010 at 14:26
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2010 at 14:23
Thanks for the info Hunter...
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2010 at 17:15
The difference will be that the 50mm will be better in low light than the 40mm. The 50 will be heaver 15 oz for the 40mm and 17.28 for the 50mm. The difference that hunter is speaking of was a design upgrade and the older version was discounted to get rid of older stock.

Edited by 3_tens - June/26/2010 at 17:18
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2010 at 17:37
that sounds like a pretty logical explanation lile.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2010 at 18:02
Thanks for the info,now I understand!
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/27/2010 at 09:40
I have a Conquest 3-9x40 and a 3.5-10x44. There are differences, but not as far as quality, that I can see. The 3.5-10 has a slightly shorter (3.5") eye relief and as such, appears to have a larger sight picture, since it sits closer to your eye. It's the largest sight picture of any scope I've ever seen.

The 3-9 has 4" of eye relief and does have a slight drawback- it has a slightly more critical eye relief at higher powers. You will begin to lose the sight picture a little quicker than with the 3.5-10 model. Still, the eye relief on the 3-9 seems about average, as some scopes I have are 'twitchier' and black out at the slightest head movement, and some are a little more forgiving.
The eye relief of the 3-9 model is just slightly behind the 4200s, but you have a full 4" eye relief and the 4200 has 3.3".
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/27/2010 at 09:48
The 3-9X40 does not use different glass or different quality standards in any way.  With different objective sizes and power ranges, you will see some differences in resolution and light transmission, and the design of the whole system effects how critical the "eye box" is.  But, these are functions of the size and arrangements of lens elements, not the quality of the scope.  The reason the 3-9X40 is less expensive than other models is simply that it is a no frills model and it's a popular configuration designed to compete with many other scopes in that same config so they are produced in high volume and have to hold their margin down to be more price competitive.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/27/2010 at 11:05
RifleDude is correct- the differences in critical eye relief (eye box) are due to design parameters and not quality of construction.
I actually prefer my 3-9 because of it's most excellent RZ-600 reticle. My ideal Conquest would be the 3.5-10 with RZ-600 instead of Z-plex as equipped.

Spent some time having fun walking around under a near- full moon last night and sighting different  objects with the RZ- reticle, as it was visible except when peering into the blackest blacks where no game would have been seen anyway.
There isn't night hunting in Oklahoma, so it's a moot point; just a testament to Conquest low- light capabilities and RZ- 600 visibility.

Edited by Alan Robertson - June/27/2010 at 12:02
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
JeffO View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeffO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2010 at 13:20
I can only compare it to 3.5-10 and 6.5-20 and 1.8-5.5 Conquests...

No.  It is not of lesser quality.  I suspect the lower price comes from economy of scale.  The 3-9 Conq is a killer scope; in fact, I prefer it to the 3.5-10x44!
Nothing is exactly as it seems
Nor is it otherwise
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic