OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Stag Arms

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishingfool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stag Arms
    Posted: June/25/2010 at 21:01
A freind of mine just took delivery of a Stag Arms AR15 clone not knowing anything about these type of rifles I have some questions.First impression seem's like a whole lot of plastic,and to my eye not very high quality plastic.There also seems to be a lot play in the stock,it is collapsiable and also in the foregrip a lot wiggle going on.Is this normal for this type of rifle?He has over a thousand dollars in this gun so it was not cheap.He has not shot it yet so do know not if it is a shooter.Compared to my Savage Model 12LRPV it seems like a p.o.s..Am I off base in my opinion?Is this just the way these type rifles are?I just can't abide by the cheap feel of this over thousand dollar rifle.Maybe if I shoot it I will change my opinion of it if it is a shooter,still the slop and loose feel suck for me.This is not meant as a slam on these type of rifles or Stags Arems just voicing my opinion and asking for honest responces,thanks in advance.
DSP Rock Harbor
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2010 at 21:14
Stag Arms is a reputable company and is well known in the AR discipline. 

It's very tough to compare an AR style rifle to a bolt gun because they really have nothing in common other than they both go bang.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
fishingfool View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishingfool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2010 at 21:36

Point taken Lucytuma,that's why I'am asking.More info on this rifle:my freinds son in law is a S.F.County sheriff and a buddy on the force is a "gunsmith" and assembled this rifle.I have owned and shot M1 Garands,M1 Carbines and a FN/FAL and they seem to have totally different feel,more solid to me,once again just my perception,thanks for the reply.

DSP Rock Harbor
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2010 at 21:38

STAG are quite simply quality not crap...

No one
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2010 at 21:53

While I am no expert by any means on the AR platform, one thing that I do know is that the options are almost endless.  This gun can be used for self defense, hunting, target shooting, ect.  The AR reminds me of Harley in that you can personalize in almost any way you want.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2010 at 22:00
more like a honda civic really the options are endless, they go as deep as your pockets can allow, 
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2010 at 22:04

Hunter, For some reason I've envisioned you more of a "Harley man" than the "Rice grinder" type.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2010 at 22:09
i wish i had some pictures of my tuner i had in college.

i was an odd duck though, instead of a honda i had a saturn sc2. it was eggplant colored and i had it pretty well decked out, then i got married.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2010 at 22:16

Been there.

HuntMaster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2010 at 07:11
STAG is high quality, and makes parts for many of the higher-priced brands out there.
The "slop" you find on AR's is common.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2010 at 07:36
how many of the m1,Fn had folding stocks? If the tolerance is too tight it won't move. FN,m1a usually cost another $1000 so comparing a 1k gun with a 2k gun isn't really comparing. Savage makes good guns, but its a bolt, so comparisons here doesn't work well. Compare your savage with a $1800 bolt to get more relative.
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2010 at 08:33
I had a stag arms for a few years when they only had 4 models.  ran it fine with no problems ever reported. 
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2010 at 15:18
their 6.8 spc is supposed to quite the shooter
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishingfool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/27/2010 at 00:58
Thanks for the reply's everyone did not mean to offend anyone.And I have compared my 1300.00 Savage to some custom and factory guns costing more money and have found that some the of guns had a little nicer fit and finish but did not shoot tighter groups,hard to beat 4 shot groups with all holes touching at a 100 yards.Not being familiar with the AR platform is why I asked these questions.As long it shoot's well who cares what it feels like.The owner of the gun is not happy with the slop and cheap feeling plastic but that's his problem.I was just trying to see if this gun was a typical example of the AR platform.I guess I'am trying to wrap my head the appeal of these guns.Once again no bashing intended.
DSP Rock Harbor
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/27/2010 at 09:39
Originally posted by fishingfool fishingfool wrote:

Thanks for the reply's everyone did not mean to offend anyone.And I have compared my 1300.00 Savage to some custom and factory guns costing more money and have found that some the of guns had a little nicer fit and finish but did not shoot tighter groups,hard to beat 4 shot groups with all holes touching at a 100 yards.Not being familiar with the AR platform is why I asked these questions.As long it shoot's well who cares what it feels like.The owner of the gun is not happy with the slop and cheap feeling plastic but that's his problem.I was just trying to see if this gun was a typical example of the AR platform.I guess I'am trying to wrap my head the appeal of these guns.Once again no bashing intended.

i was the same way for a long time myself, i just couldnt wrap my around any reason to own an ar type rifle, now hopefully at the end of the year i will start to build my first. the biggest problem with ar's is they are money pits.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/27/2010 at 09:49
Just another shout out to the Stag Arms leg humpers.  Wink 
Good gear! I have or have had several CMT products and they function great and are reasonably priced.

AR's=money pits 
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/27/2010 at 09:51
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Good gear! I have or have had several CMT products and they function great and are reasonably priced.

AR's=money pits 

mark that should be in your signature lineExcellent
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/27/2010 at 09:56
After reading your second post I am confused Is this a TRUE STAG ARMS? or is it just a Stag lower with a hodge podge of other parts assembled by a L.A. Deputy. A true Stag will be assembled by Stag with all Stag components. The AR platform is mostly interchangeable. When assembling parts from many different manufactures there will be minute differences in specs. My experience has been that it is usually better to have the complete rifle to be by one manufacture made to the same matching tolerances. It may cost a little more but the fit is normally much better. Parts made to fit many other frames are a lot of times slightly looser to assure ease of assembly. Not saying that the other gun will not run, but a complete package should run better.

Edited by 3_tens - June/27/2010 at 09:59
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishingfool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/27/2010 at 12:27
Good point 3 Tens I think you hit it on the head!I remember him saying he was waiting for the lower.So the AR;s are like BOATS=break out another thousand.
DSP Rock Harbor
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/27/2010 at 15:45
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

AR's=money pits 

mark that should be in your signature lineExcellent

Good idea....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic