OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Vortex Viper 4-12x vs. Bushnell 4200 4-16x?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B-Line Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vortex Viper 4-12x vs. Bushnell 4200 4-16x?
    Posted: June/25/2010 at 10:05
I am looking for a scope for a .264 win mag and think I have narrowed it down to these 2 scopes.  I own a pair of Vortex Raxor binoculars and am extremely happy with them, and have read good reviews of the scopes.  My only experience with bushnell has been a couple of defective rangefinders, but I keep reading all the great reviews for the Elite 4200.  Has anyone done a recent comparison of these scopes?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2010 at 10:28
ive got a 2x7 viper and a 3x9 4200 elite the 4200 sits on my .264 and the viper is on my .375H&H and they are both excellent scopes. i really like rainguard, so in that aspect bushnell has an edge, optically they are very close, the viper and 4200 are pretty much equal in eye relief. the 4200 was on my .375 before i got the viper, so its a tough scope.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
B-Line View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B-Line Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2010 at 11:10
I like the idea of the rainguard, too.  The Viper is on sale now @ $399.00, which seems to be an attractive price.  So, in your opinion, there is no noticeable difference in the glass of these scopes?
GridIronBulldogs View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GridIronBulldogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2010 at 11:13
B-Line, I'm in the same boat.  I have narrowed my choice down to the Bushnell 4200 4-16 $499, Viper 4-12 $399, and the Zeiss 3-9 $399.  Going on a Savage .243 Predator Hunter - used for predators and antelope.

1) Do I want to spend $100 more for the Bushnell?  Do I need the extra power?
2) I'm a little concerned about the Viper reported tunnel vision, but I like the pricepoint, extra power, and Vortex as a company.
3) I love the Zeiss, but I'd like a little more power.

I'm interested in what you learn from the thread.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2010 at 11:17
Originally posted by B-Line B-Line wrote:

I like the idea of the rainguard, too.  The Viper is on sale now @ $399.00, which seems to be an attractive price.  So, in your opinion, there is no noticeable difference in the glass of these scopes?

thats a tough question to answer, you may not see things through a scope the same as i do, really to me the 4200 and the vortex are pretty damn close, i wouldnt pick ones glass over the other, except the fact that i hunt in wet weather, be it snow or rain, rain guard is great. the vortex i have came with a see through set of lens covers though so, really if you wanted to get technical its a wash, take the covers off, take the shot. yeah its one more step.
as far as reliability goes they are both pretty tough, i know for sure that vortex's cs-dept would bend over backwards for you, bushnell i havent had to deal with.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
B-Line View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B-Line Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2010 at 11:28
Gridiron, I've wondered about the reports of tunnel vision, too.  Is there any truth to the tunnel vision issue Pyro6999?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2010 at 12:27
well just make sure i wouldnt lie to you guys i pulled both rifles and scopes out and i tried as hard as i could to get some tunnel vision, and unless you work at it fairly hard on high or low magnification, i didnt detect any tunnel vision. i think the mounting distance from your eye to your scope can greatly affect tunnel vision.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
B-Line View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B-Line Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2010 at 12:54
Thanks Pyro for your input.  Sounds like I'll be happy with either one I choose.  Really appreciate  the help!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2010 at 12:57
i dont think you can go wrong with either of them. i like them both so much. i have the 4200 on my .300wby right now, i havent got to shoot it yet though. it was a great scope on my .264win mag.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
GridIronBulldogs View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GridIronBulldogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2010 at 13:42
Pyro, is the Bushnell sharp and bright through the entire magnification range?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2010 at 13:48
until you get into low light situations i would say yes, the vortex is as well though, its harder to compare my two scopes though 2x7x32 vs 3x9x40.one has a standard duplex( 4200) the vortex uses the c-3 so they arent the same in that aspect either.  on a side note, the 3x9 zeiss conquest is about the only thing in the price range ( that ive got use) that is better in lower light situations.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2010 at 18:42
 I have just compared my elite 6500[same glass as the 4200] 2.5-16x42 to my Viper6.5--20x44,the glass is a toss up,mechanical a toss up,cs much better with the vortex.
 I also threw in my Conquest 3.5-10x50,no contest,this has the best glass ,.but it is $250 more'I agree with pyro you can't go wrong with either viper or elite!
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Randall45 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randall45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2010 at 21:48
I'd take the Elite proven track record over the Votex Viper. 
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2010 at 22:02
Originally posted by Randall45 Randall45 wrote:

I'd take the Elite proven track record over the Votex Viper. 

is that the only reason you would take the elite?? i own both, and track record is the last thing on my mind, between the two.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2010 at 06:29
I have 4200's on a 300 Rem Ultramag , 338 mag , a 300 wby , and  1.5-6's on a 45/70 and 50 cal BP , and never an issue ,and the Rainguard can be a hunt saver .. I have only had to deal with Bushnell CS once on an older Trophy model that took a tumble . They sent me a replacement a month later on a unit that the issue was probably the fall ( slip down a muddy hillside and I landed on it ) and not the unit.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic