OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rimfire / Airgun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SWFA SS10x42HD on springer ???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JRT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SWFA SS10x42HD on springer ???
    Posted: June/24/2010 at 18:13
Hello. This is my first post here.

I am hoping to get some expert opinon on whether or not the SWFA SS 10X42 HD scope could be expected to survive extended use on a spring piston air rifle.   

If you are familiar with springers, then you are already familiar with the issue, that a scope capable withstanding the significant recoil from a magnum centerfire rifle might not hold up to the different mix of forces generated by a springer.

I'm looking at putting the scope on an RWS (Diana) model 56 Target Hunter.  I don't have it in hand yet, on back order for a few weeks.   

I'm planning on using Burris XTR rings on a UTG DN460 scope mount.  Not sure why RWS is still using their misaligned frail rail, but the DN460 supposedly compensates for the deficiencies by providing a Picatinny style rail on a mount with good recoil stop and suitable elevation correction for the M48/52/54/65 family of RWS springers.  
stork23raz View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2010 at 18:46
Well the SS is rated for 50BMG

And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew 10:28
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2010 at 18:48
That UTG rail tho. that will fail first. 
And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

JRT View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JRT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2010 at 01:44
Originally posted by stork23raz stork23raz wrote:

That UTG rail tho. that will fail first. 

Thanks for the nudge, intentional or not.  You got me rethinking the scope mount.

I suspect that a Dampa Mount could be a better solution, softening the hammer blows on the scope from the spring piston.  But I haven't found a Dampa Mount from a US source with 30mm rings of appropriate height, just one with 30mm rings high enough for use with 56mm scopes (and no droop compensation). 

That additional height would shift the point blank kill zone a little further out, maybe not a bad thing with the 10x scope.  

Main thing is that it would help protect the scope.   

Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2010 at 07:09
I really dont know anything about spring piston air guns. But I do know that those cheap mounts will fall  off a 22 recoil. How much recoil does this thing have. I couldnt imagine that be worse the recoil of a 50.  The SS is a tank, its built to nato specs.  I really think it will handle anything you need. I would worry more about your rings and bases failing first.

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2010 at 07:11
JRT, i know nothing on springers but i do know that Doug has a lot of experiece with them and will point out this thread to him.  If i had a airgun/springer question, he'd be the one I'd want to ask.....
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2010 at 10:58
My concern is with the choice of rings. I have had bad experience with Burris XTR's on heavy kicker's. Used them to mount a regular 10x42 S.S. on a Savage model 11 .300 wsm, coupled with an EGW rail, the scope moved a lot! Personally I would recommend a better set of rings. TPS and Warne get great reviews, I went with Badger Ordnance. 
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2010 at 11:01
I don't think I would call a air rifle a hard kicker.  They just have a different kind of recoil that typical scopes are not built for. 

As far as Burris rings being strong enough, I have a buddy who has them on a Barrett semi auto .50 with a 16x SS and so far they are just fine.  I can't imagine an air rifle would be hard on them at all.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2010 at 13:16

I don't think the SS would have any problems with the Diana. I haven't used the HD, but it is supposed to be a step up from the 3-9 SS I have used. If you want a fixed 10X I would definitely go for it.

I would not, however, go with an adapter rail to mount on the 11mm dovetail. I would rather go with a top mount like a BKL that clamps directly to the dovetail. This set up reduces the number of clamping interfaces and makes for less likelihood of the mounts moving.

I have a few magnum springers including a Webley Patriot and RWS Diana 350 Magnum. These guns do indeed kick and are hard on both mounts and scopes. I have been through B-Square, Sportsmatch/Beeman and Burris airgun mounts. They have all moved. The BKL mounts don't even use a stop, but because both sides of the clamp move in equally on the dovetail, have great holding strength.
If you look at a standard 11mm/3/8" mount or rail adapter you can see only one side of the clamp floats. The 11mm dovetail is not very robust to begin with. When the screws are tightened down, only the floating side moves. This causes the mount to tilt in the direction of the fixed side. This further weakens an already weak condition since the bottom of the mount is not flat on the dovetail. It is essentially a point loading on one edge of the mount and not the full surface.
Good luck with your Diana. It is a top Drawer gun and should be very accrate.

Doug
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2010 at 14:07
It eats Springers for breakfast.

Everything in the 10xHD in regards to durability is double what the 3-9x has and the 3-9x is Springer rated too.

I can say with all honesty that I do not know of any scope on the market that is built stronger than the 10xHD.
JRT View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JRT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2010 at 15:58
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

I don't think the SS would have any problems with the Diana. I haven't used the HD, but it is supposed to be a step up from the 3-9 SS I have used. If you want a fixed 10X I would definitely go for it.

I would not, however, go with an adapter rail to mount on the 11mm dovetail. I would rather go with a top mount like a BKL that clamps directly to the dovetail. This set up reduces the number of clamping interfaces and makes for less likelihood of the mounts moving.

I have a few magnum springers including a Webley Patriot and RWS Diana 350 Magnum. These guns do indeed kick and are hard on both mounts and scopes. I have been through B-Square, Sportsmatch/Beeman and Burris airgun mounts. They have all moved. The BKL mounts don't even use a stop, but because both sides of the clamp move in equally on the dovetail, have great holding strength.
If you look at a standard 11mm/3/8" mount or rail adapter you can see only one side of the clamp floats. The 11mm dovetail is not very robust to begin with. When the screws are tightened down, only the floating side moves. This causes the mount to tilt in the direction of the fixed side. This further weakens an already weak condition since the bottom of the mount is not flat on the dovetail. It is essentially a point loading on one edge of the mount and not the full surface.
Good luck with your Diana. It is a top Drawer gun and should be very accrate.

Doug

Thanks for sharing your experience and advice.  

I was looking at some listings of Beeman's Sportsmatch sourced mounts and saw that they came in a few flavors, one was a Dampa Mount, and the rest were various flavors of hard mounts.   Was yours a Dampa Mount (captured rubber bushings and sliding ways)?  ...or one of the other types?

JRT View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JRT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2010 at 16:47
Originally posted by Chris Farris Chris Farris wrote:

It eats Springers for breakfast.

Everything in the 10xHD in regards to durability is double what the 3-9x has and the 3-9x is Springer rated too.

I can say with all honesty that I do not know of any scope on the market that is built stronger than the 10xHD.

Thanks for posting.  Its good to know it is compatible with springers.

What is the range of usable elevation adjustment on that scope?  

The answer on that affects the decision I make on mounting.

Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2010 at 16:50
26 mils / 90 moa
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2010 at 11:56
I have the 5038 one piece. It moved on the Patriot and scored the top of the receiver.
The HD on top of the RWS will be awesome looking along with shooting great.

Doug
JRT View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JRT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2010 at 20:51
Problem solved... I cancelled the back-ordered springer.
...and ordered an FX Independence and BKL rings/mounts.
Now I need to order the SWFA SS10x42HD.

The FX Independence is a lot more money than I had planned to spend, but it eliminates both the springer's scope stressing recoil and the Diana barrel droop issues.  It should be at least as accurate with much higher power and low radiated SPL.  And like the springer, a scuba tank isn't required (can be charged from a tank and/or pumped by hand).

Just wanted to thank everybody for their advice, very helpful as I was thinking this through.

Originally posted by JRT JRT wrote:

Hello. This is my first post here.

I am hoping to get some expert opinon on whether or not the SWFA SS 10X42 HD scope could be expected to survive extended use on a spring piston air rifle.   

If you are familiar with springers, then you are already familiar with the issue, that a scope capable withstanding the significant recoil from a magnum centerfire rifle might not hold up to the different mix of forces generated by a springer.

I'm looking at putting the scope on an RWS (Diana) model 56 Target Hunter.  I don't have it in hand yet, on back order for a few weeks.   

I'm planning on using Burris XTR rings on a UTG DN460 scope mount.  Not sure why RWS is still using their misaligned frail rail, but the DN460 supposedly compensates for the deficiencies by providing a Picatinny style rail on a mount with good recoil stop and suitable elevation correction for the M48/52/54/65 family of RWS springers.  
JRT View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JRT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2010 at 14:10
Correction:
It is an FX Independent not Independence.

JRT View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JRT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2010 at 21:40
Originally posted by Chris Farris Chris Farris wrote:

26 mils / 90 moa

Chris, thanks for the info.

Advertised specs indicate a minimum focus distance of 10 meters:

Specifications
Weight (oz): 20

Mil-Dot

Length (in): 13.5
Eye Relief (in): 3.75
Field of View @ 100yds (ft): 10.5
Rear Focus Adjustment (m): 10 - infinity

But then I read , board member 'Urimaginaryfrnd' comment, "...the minimum focus on the HD is about 50 yds where the old style will focus down to 10 or 15 yds."

Could you please clarify this discrepancy for me?  Are the published specs incorrect? 

I'm looking for something that can focus down to 10 meters.   A 50 yard minimum won't suit my application.  

VYD View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VYD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2010 at 11:02
JRT, first of all, hi all, I am new here.
Second of all, keep that SWFA on a PCP or a firearm. These are not spring-piston gun rated. The fact that it withstands the recoil of 50 BMG has nothing to do with ability to withstand recoils generated by springers; they have two-way recoil, also side-to-side vibration and that's what kills firearm scopes. I have seen expensive scopes go south on spring guns that were 10 times cheaper. Don't make that mistake. RWS56 is recoiless to the shooter but not to the scope. Both RWS54 and 56 are considered scope killers.
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2010 at 12:59
I beg to differ with you! There are many people that use S.S. scopes on there springers. Not to mention with customer service like SWFA's if you happen to break one, it will not be a problem getting it replaced.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2010 at 13:01
Originally posted by billyburl2 billyburl2 wrote:

I beg to differ with you! There are many people that use S.S. scopes on there springers. Not to mention with customer service like SWFA's if you happen to break one, it will not be a problem getting it replaced.
+1 Agreed. 
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic