OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > The Range Report
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

White Wilma stretches her legs to 660 yds.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: White Wilma stretches her legs to 660 yds.
    Posted: June/24/2010 at 10:06
Yesterday I had the chance to take White Wilma to her new home, a range about 45min drive outside Pretoria. The range stretches to 600m (660yds)

The range at 200m

Things look a bit further away at 600m !!!

My target was 6inch gongs, which would call for 1 MOA accuracy.

The gongs are hanging from the belts. The bottom ones are 12 inch fall plates.

Equipment:
Remington 700 Varmint with custom barrel.
Timney trigger.
Action blue printed.
Aluminium bedding block and skim bedded.
Free floating barrel
Leupold VX111 8,5-25 x 50mm
155 gr palma match Lapua case cci primer
2850 ft per second.

There was a 5 mph crosswind.

JBM gave me 80 inches or 13 MOA for elevation. That translated into 52 clicks.
Wind 17 inches or 3 MOA or 12 clicks windage.

I dialed in and with a spotter helping found the target after 3 rounds. I had to dial 2 clicks down. The wind was gusting and made it a bit tricky.
After the setup, I hit the gong all day long....just kidding. I put 3 out of 5 onto the gong, the wind beating me on the other two.

A bit dissapointing was that after I returned the scope to its 200 yds zero, I shot from the 200yds. The rifle printed 2 inches high and two inches left. I adjusted accordingly, then went two inches low and two right. I corrected, which brought me to my original zero and I was on the bull. Stuck reticule???

Edited by 8shots - June/24/2010 at 10:16
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2010 at 10:20
Nice range Wouter. I love the gongs too.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2010 at 10:47
 "Stuck reticule??? "

Maybe the nature of the beast? 
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2010 at 11:02
very nice range.  Looks like fun shooting...
Wind... it does the darndest things.
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2010 at 12:22
As always Wouter!!!    Excellent
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2010 at 12:35

I wouldnt' think it was a stuck reticle with two shots.  maybe one but not two.

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2010 at 12:37
Nice range by the way.   Like it better than your last one?
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2010 at 20:22
The "bell" is a great idea!
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2010 at 01:57
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

I wouldnt' think it was a stuck reticle with two shots.  maybe one but not two.

I was thinking the same... I am a bit disappointed with the Golden RingSad Next time I will dial past the zero and then back again to see how the scope shapes up.

Edited by 8shots - June/25/2010 at 02:03
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2010 at 01:59
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

Nice range by the way.   Like it better than your last one?

Well, my old range was only 10 min drive, but the wind could blow like anything.

This is a nice range, and very little wind.

It is winter this side and the range is allready hot. In summer I think the heat and mirage will be a bitch.

But hey, as long as one can pull the trigger.
rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2010 at 05:32

Very nice 8shots, wish we had extended ranges in my corner of the world. I drive 30 min. for a 200yd..
 There is a 300yd. about 1hour away but it is closed to non members, I know a few members but they won't shoot it because it is in terrible shape with an uphill slope.
froggy
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2010 at 07:12
Wouter, how far is this range from you? Is it public or private?
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2010 at 08:05
The range is about 80 km (30 miles) away. It is privately owned and costs R30 or about $4.5 entree fee. On the occasions I went (mid week) it was deserted.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2010 at 08:11
30 miles (80 km) not bad, $4.50 (R30) is cheap, not bad at all, and it looks like a really nice range.Thunbs Up
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2010 at 22:11
I love shooting gongs at long range.  Fun hearing the delay in the sound.  I need to get out to the range again soon.  Have some rounds to test in my 270.  Should be able to get out to 500+ I think when I go.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2010 at 22:23
300yds is max at our club, the surrounding county's I live in are shotgun only, so I feel very fortunate to even have this distance.  
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/27/2010 at 16:44
Excellent stuff, 8!
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2010 at 01:56
Thanks for all the kind words. This is my first real attemp at precision shooting at more then 400 yds. I have pulled the odd shots at gongs and fun stuff at long distances, but I am a bit new to the long range (or is this mid range?) game. Will try some grouping shots etc next time and see what gives.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2010 at 06:58
Look forward to your sharing your results from that 8's. 
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/01/2010 at 03:44
Nice shooting! and a very nice looking range.

As for the reticle not coming back, I have had that happen to a couple of Leupold scopes, so it depends on when yours was made.  After you adjust the turrets, sometimes it takes a shot or two to resettle the reticle.  You can hit it with a rubber mallet before shooting to achieve the same effect.

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic