OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Schmidt aned Bender vs. Zeiss

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jleinum09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Schmidt aned Bender vs. Zeiss
    Posted: June/23/2010 at 11:22
I have been looking at getting either a Schmidt and Bender 3-12x50 precision hunter, or a Zeiss Diavari 3-12x56.  What are your opinons on which scope has the edge and why?  I was leaning towards the S&B because i really like the P3 reticle.
One Shot, One Kill
CDNZEISS View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CDNZEISS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2010 at 13:25
I have Zeiss,Bushnell and Burris. For the money buy a Six X 2-12x50 with a 3P4 reticle. You don't need an objective bigger than 50mm if you have a 30mm tube. Sure S&B is good, but what more are you noticeably getting vs the Burris other than a bigger price tag. How far are you shooting, what game are you hunting etc etc.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2010 at 13:36
30mm tube has nothing to do with brightness.  And comparing a Burris to a Zeiss Diavari or a S&B is like comparing a Tasco Worldclass to a Bushnell 4200.  Not even in the same League.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
pcrage View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pcrage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2010 at 13:40
I am a big fan of the S&B  Have a 4-16 Precision Hunter P3 reticle on my .300 weatherby.  Great mid to long distance set up. The mill dot reticle and ballistic turret are suberb.

I only have experience with the Zeiss fl binos and a couple conquests not the diavari so I cannot comment on that scope.  Zeiss glass has always impressed me as well.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2010 at 13:46
I have the Diavari 3-12x56 with #42 reticle and it is absolutely fantastic, very bright, very good resolution, love the reticle, and the water-shedding coating is worth the $$. 

I've never used an S&B hunter, their tactical stuff is first-rate, can't say from experience anything on the hunters.  BUt I would highly recommend the Zeiss, great glass, great hunter.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2010 at 17:15

Get whichever has a model config and reticle style you like the best.  Both are fantastic!

Zeiss is much lighter and usually has wider FOV.  It also has greater W/E adjustment travel.

S&B has a better illumination system (in my opinion), if you want a lit reticle.  I like the S&B adjustment travel indicator on the turrets, though.  A real handy feature.  I think the S&B knobs feel more positive and they are metal, as opposed to the plastic Zeiss knobs and caps.  Not a huge deal, but given my preference, much prefer the S&B knobs and caps.  This applies to the hunting scopes from both brands, not their tactical scopes.

The S&B has a bit more "tunnel vision" on the low magnifications.

In terms of image quality, I think maybe I like the S&B just a touch better.  In my samples of each, the S&B seems to have slightly better contrast and better flare control, but they are very close.  Both have equally good low light performance.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
jleinum09 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jleinum09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2010 at 00:20
Thankyou for all of the imput. My uncle too has the Precision Hunter 4-16x50 and he absolutely loves it. He can shoot effectively out to 800 yards with his hand loads. Thankyou  for all of the info.  All in all, i think that the S&B may have the slight edge, but with high end optics like that it is so hard to tell which is better.  Personal preference is what i think that it comes down to.
One Shot, One Kill
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/27/2010 at 13:28
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

30mm tube has nothing to do with brightness.  And comparing a Burris to a Zeiss Diavari or a S&B is like comparing a Tasco Worldclass to a Bushnell 4200.  Not even in the same League.  

CDNZEISS- I don't  think that supertool's comment about the Burris/Diavari comparison is a put- down of Burris Six-X (or other high-end Burris) as they are very good scopes in their own right.
They just aren't in the same class as a Diavari, but not much else is, either.

Brightness is determined by objective lens diameter divided by magnification power- as well as glass quality/lens coatings, etc.
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic