OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Best Scope

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgsxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Scope
    Posted: June/22/2010 at 15:10
I want to start getting into long range target shooting. 

The rifle I am using now is a Ruger M77 MkII chambered in a 7mm Remington magnum.  I know, not the most accurate rifle, but mine isn't bad.  I can get 1moa with it at 100 yards using an eo-tech holographic sights and a 3X magnifier.  Why am I target shooting with that set-up...well, thats my deer hunting set-up.  The holographics make for some great bush optics.  Long story short I want to put something better on it so I can shoot long range target during the off season. 

I am looking for something decent because if I enjoy long range target shooting, my plan is to buy a Sako TRG 42 chambered in a .338 Lapua Magnum so I can play out to 1000 yards. 

I have done some research and I think I am looking at a 3.5-14X or a 4-16X scope.  Something in a 40-42mm, with an illuminated mil-dot reticle and elevation turrets that can be set to zero after adjustment.

Finally my questions: 
1.) Would you recommend anything different from the above?  If so, what and why?
2.) What would be a good budget scope with the above criteria that I could put on my 7mm rem mag?
3.) What is a good premium scope in the event I decide I want to purchase the Sako TRG 42?
4.) Can anyone recommend better value for the money in a sniper rifle other than the TRG 42?

I know a lot of questions, but I would appreciate the opinion of others.
Thanks.

stork23raz View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2010 at 15:18
Welcome to the forums

whats ur price range.

if that doesnt tickle ur pickle  Id look at a big nightforce

And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew 10:28
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2010 at 15:22
The SS10x is a great scope.  mildot. great knobs .25 moa adjustments and  alot of them i think over a 100  or 120 top to bottom.  knobs can be reset to zero.
SS10xHD is just so much better. everything the SS10 has but so much sweeter. alot better  glass, 1/10th  mil adjustments.
oh yea these scopes are built like tanks. 50 cal rated.
And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2010 at 15:24
If you are only going to shoot to 1000 yards, I would not get the .338 Lapua.  A 300 Win mag will do that easily and will be much cheaper to shoot.  .338 Lapua is insanely expensive to shoot.  We are talking like over $100 per 20 rounds.  If you reload it will be cheaper, but still very expensive.  Realistically if it is just for target shooting, a .308 will do 1000 yards okay. 

As far as scopes go.  Vortex will soon be coming out with the Viper PST in 4-16x50mm.  That would be a good scope for your wants.  I believe the finally started shipping a few of the yesterday. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2010 at 15:29

If you want just a 1000 yard rifle and not a "sniper" rifle then Id look into the new savage F class rifles.  Team savage has been winning competition with them. its  a factory rifle 1000-1500 bucks and shots better than alot of custom rifles.

Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2010 at 15:37

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2010 at 15:46
I've got something in the works just for you!

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2010 at 15:55
Originally posted by sgsxr sgsxr wrote:

I want to start getting into long range target shooting. 

The rifle I am using now is a Ruger M77 MkII chambered in a 7mm Remington magnum.  I know, not the most accurate rifle, but mine isn't bad.  I can get 1moa with it at 100 yards using an eo-tech holographic sights and a 3X magnifier.  Why am I target shooting with that set-up...well, thats my deer hunting set-up.  The holographics make for some great bush optics.  Long story short I want to put something better on it so I can shoot long range target during the off season. 

I am looking for something decent because if I enjoy long range target shooting, my plan is to buy a Sako TRG 42 chambered in a .338 Lapua Magnum so I can play out to 1000 yards. 

I have done some research and I think I am looking at a 3.5-14X or a 4-16X scope.  Something in a 40-42mm, with an illuminated mil-dot reticle and elevation turrets that can be set to zero after adjustment.

Finally my questions: 
1.) Would you recommend anything different from the above?  If so, what and why?
2.) What would be a good budget scope with the above criteria that I could put on my 7mm rem mag?
3.) What is a good premium scope in the event I decide I want to purchase the Sako TRG 42?
4.) Can anyone recommend better value for the money in a sniper rifle other than the TRG 42?

I know a lot of questions, but I would appreciate the opinion of others.
Thanks.

1.  I recommend you scrap the .338, it is expensive to shoot and not for the beginner.  It is a nice gun, but you will shoot it little.  it'll be a safe queen.
2.  What is the budget? At what range will it be used?
3.  Hensoldt, premier, S&B.
4.  Remington 700-series, many models and options, most cheaper than a TRG.

Do you have access to a 1,000 yard range?  How often will you be shooting at 1,000 yards?  Have you ever shot 1,000 yards before? Have you shot >500 yards?  Are you filthy-stinking rich (each round out your .338 will run about $5, range sessions are either expensive or brief)?  Do you own a less poweful rifle with which to practice?

Important question, all.  You want good recommendations, answer these, for starters.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2010 at 16:01

one piece of advise I can give you is to not call it a sniper rifle. 

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2010 at 16:05
SVT is correct. There really is only the sniper (person) and the bolt action or semi auto rfile in his/her hands. 
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

"Issac Newton invented gravity because some asshole hit him with an apple"
-Chris Moltisanti
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2010 at 16:42
yes, and only under government sanction, other wise it would be called a bushwackers rifle.
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2010 at 17:56
Don't you just love the phrase Bushwacker rifleEvil Black Rifle
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2010 at 21:59

Have you looked at the CZ or Tikka, or Sako heavy barrel rifles?  If you are not shooting at people behind brick walls you do not want the .338.

"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

jleinum09 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jleinum09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2010 at 22:17
SG, first off i would scrap the 338, the ammo is out of sight and you wont get the precison and accuracy out of a .338 diameter bullet. Go with something that is in a 30 caliber, such as a 300 win mag or 300 RUM.  For optics, if you can afford the high end european made, i would go with schmidt and bender or Zeiss, the glass is fantastic. Swarovskis in my opinion have just as good of glass but the reticles are not as good in my opinion. For the S&B, i would go with the precision hunter 4-16x50 p3 mildot, or if you want illuminated, go with the Police marksman 2, which has the P3 illuminated. It is a 34mm tube which can be at times hard to mount.  Both are excellent for low light conditions as well. As for Zeiss, go with the Victory Diavari 4-16x50.  The glass is great and i also really like the Rapid Z reticle, which you can get in standard or illuminated. either way you would be very happy. Welcome to Optics Talk!!
One Shot, One Kill
sgsxr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgsxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2010 at 06:45
That is kinda what I am looking at as far as price range.  Something in the $300-$400 range if I go budget.  And I was hoping to be able to keep a high end scope around the $1000-$1400 range.

The sepcs of these scopes look great, but I was wondering if an adjustible would be better?  Kind of a dual purpose?
sgsxr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgsxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2010 at 06:56
I don't know...I have almost fallen in love with the .338 Lapua. ;)  On paper it seems like such a beautiful cartridge.  Yeah, I was surprised when my local gun shop said that the .338 was rare and to order a box of 20 it would cost $125.  But, I am a reloader....so I figure I can make cartridges for about $2-$3 per shot.  So, that cost I can swallow.

1000 yards seems like a long way out.  I have a hunt camp and there is one section shooting from a ridge, I have about 1000 yards.  I am just estimating as I don't have a range finder yet.  It could be 800 yards, it could be 1300 yards.

I guess my thought on the .338 lapua is I have the option to go farther should I want to later.

I will check out the Vortex PST in a 4-16X50.  Thanks, I appreciate everyones input.
sgsxr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgsxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2010 at 06:58
Originally posted by stork23raz stork23raz wrote:

Welcome to the forums

whats ur price range.

if that doesnt tickle ur pickle  Id look at a big nightforce

That is kinda what I am looking at as far as price range.  Something in the $300-$400 range if I go budget.  And I was hoping to be able to keep a high end scope around the $1000-$1400 range.

The specs of these scopes look great, but I was wondering if an adjustible would be better?  Kind of a dual purpose?
sgsxr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgsxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2010 at 06:59
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

If you are only going to shoot to 1000 yards, I would not get the .338 Lapua.  A 300 Win mag will do that easily and will be much cheaper to shoot.  .338 Lapua is insanely expensive to shoot.  We are talking like over $100 per 20 rounds.  If you reload it will be cheaper, but still very expensive.  Realistically if it is just for target shooting, a .308 will do 1000 yards okay. 

As far as scopes go.  Vortex will soon be coming out with the Viper PST in 4-16x50mm.  That would be a good scope for your wants.  I believe the finally started shipping a few of the yesterday. 

I don't know...I have almost fallen in love with the .338 Lapua. ;)  On paper it seems like such a beautiful cartridge.  Yeah, I was surprised when my local gun shop said that the .338 was rare and to order a box of 20 it would cost $125.  But, I am a reloader....so I figure I can make cartridges for about $2-$3 per shot.  So, that cost I can swallow.

1000 yards seems like a long way out.  I have a hunt camp and there is one section shooting from a ridge, I have about 1000 yards.  I am just estimating as I don't have a range finder yet.  It could be 800 yards, it could be 1300 yards.

I guess my thought on the .338 lapua is I have the option to go farther should I want to later.

I will check out the Vortex PST in a 4-16X50.  Thanks, I appreciate everyones input.
sgsxr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgsxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2010 at 07:02
Originally posted by stork23raz stork23raz wrote:

If you want just a 1000 yard rifle and not a "sniper" rifle then Id look into the new savage F class rifles.  Team savage has been winning competition with them. its  a factory rifle 1000-1500 bucks and shots better than alot of custom rifles.

I was toying with the option of just a 1000+ rifle instead of getting an actual "sniper" class rifle.  The Sako TRG 42 is used by many countries as their flagship rifle of choice for their sniper teams.  But, the price tag that comes with it....I need to save for.  Something different might get me out shooting now rather than next year.

Thanks for the advice.  I'll research the Savage F class.
sgsxr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgsxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2010 at 07:07
Originally posted by shooter07 shooter07 wrote:

SVT is correct. There really is only the sniper (person) and the bolt action or semi auto rfile in his/her hands. 

Thanks for the advice guys.  I am still a newb to this.  I will alter my vocabulary. ;)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic