OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Aimpoint H-1 micro

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k-oss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aimpoint H-1 micro
    Posted: June/21/2010 at 22:46
Greetings all....being a great fan of Aimpoint products, I broke down and bought an H-1 micro for an in-line muzzleloader of mine. I love the size and I especially love how low it sits for a good cheek weld. However, a small dilema has popped up. My point of impact is about six inches low at 100 yds and I've ran out of vertical adjustment. I've pulled the weaver style rail off the rifle and, since my father in law is a machinest, I'm going to have him remove some material off the radius to shorten the rail a bit. The million dollar question is " How much?" Tough to put it back on so I want to get it right. I would imagine that a few thousands might do it because a small adjustment should make a large differance at 100 yds in my mind anyway. Anyway, any suggestions from you folks would be greatly appreciated.  
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2010 at 23:47
What might be more satisfactory is to use a pair of tin snips and cut small pieces of a pop can and place that as a shim under the weaver style rail then tighten the screws down. You can adjust how much by how many 1 or 2 pieces of pop can you use.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
k-oss View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k-oss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2010 at 20:09
Thanks...but unless I'm not thinking this through correctly, the mount has to be lowered to raise the point of impact on paper. The crosshairs on any optic, (in this case dot) move in the opposite direction in the scope than from the desired change in POI. So if I want more vertical (up) adjustment I would think that I need to lower the mount. Say you????
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2010 at 21:15
It depends if you put the shims in the front or in the back. Front will raise the POI
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
k-oss View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k-oss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2010 at 21:19
Good point.....but I hate to go this route as I want as much surface contact as possible for a good solid mount to hold up under recoil.  Thanks for the suggestions.
ralfus View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralfus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2010 at 09:02
Originally posted by 3_tens 3_tens wrote:

It depends if you put the shims in the front or in the back. Front will raise the POI

No, shimming the rear of the base will raise the point of impact. 

K-OSS also try reversing the mount that you have. It may have some taper mistakenly machined into it. If you do shim, the amount needed will vary depending on the length of you mount (if one piece) or the distance between mounts (if using two). On a 4" mount spacing .010" would change POI around 7" at 100 yds. Much less would be needed on a single mount.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic