OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Trjijcon 2.5-10x56 or 3-9x40

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1bandit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trjijcon 2.5-10x56 or 3-9x40
    Posted: June/21/2010 at 18:00
I'm looking at purchasing either the 2.5-10x56 or 3-9x40 Trijicons with the green mil-dot reticle.  Is the 2.5-10x56 worth the extra cost and weight for low light applications or will the 3-9x40 be sufficient?
jleinum09 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jleinum09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2010 at 01:08
M1bandit, the 2.5-10x56 will definitely be better in low light conditions, hands down. The weight should not be a problem maybe 5 to 6 ounces tops. One of the bigger things i would look at is how you would like to mount your scope, depending on what type of gun.  What is the make and model of your gun? That would be a start. and P.S., i have worked with trijicon accupoints, and the green mil dot will show up well in low light situations, it just depends on if you need the extra clarity in low light conditions. It all comes down to personal preference.  You will get a brighter overall picture with the green illuminated mil dot if you go with the 2.5-10x56 compared to the 3-9x40
One Shot, One Kill
m1bandit View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1bandit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2010 at 06:36
J, I'll be mounting the scope on an AR-15 with high mounts.  I would think that the high mounts would give me enough clearance?  The additional clarity of the larger scope would be great because I do most of my coyote hunting at night... full moon over snow.  Is there a better option regarding reticle choice?  I've heard good things about the green mil-dot and like the options it provides for precision shooting.
jleinum09 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jleinum09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2010 at 10:02
M1, are you mounting the scope on your carry handle or or is your AR a flattop?? Since you do a lot of your hunting at night i would suggest the 2.5-10x56 for sure.  High rings should also definitely get you there.  Another good reticle to look at is the green chevron, but the mildot is also excellent.
One Shot, One Kill
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2010 at 10:10
Unless you use high magnification the 56mm will not give you anything as far as brightness.  If you do not hunt with the mag over 6x then get the 3-9x as it will weight less which could be a nice thing.  But if you need mag over 6x then get the 56mm model or if weight it not an issue.  It is all about exit pupil and the mag you need.

Edited by supertool73 - June/22/2010 at 10:13
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2010 at 10:12
Also I gotta ask, if you hunt and night, why a mil dot reticle?  The whole reticle does not light up, just a dot in the center.  Plus it is a second focal plane scope so you can't really use them for consistent hold overs anyway.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

1911man View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1911man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2010 at 10:30
I have both scopes and use them for low light hog hunting. To my untrained eye the 56mm definately gathers more light and seems to me to be the best light gathering scope I have tried of any brand. You can shoot pretty well on a bright moonlit night.

However I do a lot of my hunting spot and stalk on ranch land and do a fair amount of walking so weight of my rifle is an important factor. Due to this I seem to use the 3-9x40 a lot more. It's kind of a trade off 5 min of extra shooting time for the extra bulk and weight????

Also I'm fortunate enough to have a rifle set-up with a Night Optics D730 NV scope too, I usually switch to this rifle at last light.
Bill Wilson
www.wilsoncombat.com
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2010 at 11:52
As said above, both scopes do quite well at low light hunting, but the 2.5-10X will be brighter in low light situations.

I own both, I've hunted hogs with both.  My only disliking concerning the 2.5-10 is that it is MUCH LARGER 9not just a little.)  On an AR, it does dramatically change the balance of the gun (unless your AR is a heavy barrel variant.)

I like both, i hunt both, but I prefer the 3-9.

Additionally, I prefer the mil dot reticle, not due to hold over, but due to fineness of the aiming point.  The post triangle is quite fast on target, but sacrifices some fine aiming  for that speed.  I am a precision guy, I like the very well defined fine aiming point of the illuminated dot on the mil dot reticle.

Both work well, in the end, it is a function of very specific expectations, and the 3-9X does more very well, the 2.5-10 does a few thigns better, but isn't as all-around great, in my opinion.  (And I do own or have owned the 2.5-10, 1-4, 3-9, and 5.5-20X Accupoints; I have a little time behind these optics.)
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
m1bandit View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1bandit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2010 at 13:20
Great input guys, lots to think about. I also like the fine aiming point that the mil- dot provides. To me, the tough thing about a scope purchase is handling one before you buy it.
stork23raz View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2010 at 13:30

This might sound stupid but  the Trijicon with the mildot, how does it look when the illumination is off. just like regualr crosshair or does it have that little dot there ready to light up.

And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew 10:28
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2010 at 13:32
Originally posted by stork23raz stork23raz wrote:

This might sound stupid but  the Trijicon with the mildot, how does it look when the illumination is off. just like regualr crosshair or does it have that little dot there ready to light up.

off?
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2010 at 13:34
During the day light you can turn off the fiber optic by completely covering it with with the adjustment slide.  The tritium itself cannot be seen during the day light if this is done.  At least that is the way my ACOG looks.  If I cover the fiber optic part up it is just a black horseshoe reticle. I am sure that is what stork meant.

stork23raz View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2010 at 13:40
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

During the day light you can turn off the fiber optic by completely covering it with with the adjustment slide.  The tritium itself cannot be seen during the day light if this is done.  At least that is the way my ACOG looks.  If I cover the fiber optic part up it is just a black horseshoe reticle. I am sure that is what stork meant.

right on the nose

yea i always understood it witthe th accupoints that it had little slide cover over the tritium to allow you to regulate the brightness, or u could close it off for no illumination. i either heard that or dreamnt it
And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew 10:28
TexasPhotog View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TexasPhotog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2010 at 11:23
Originally posted by m1bandit m1bandit wrote:

I'm looking at purchasing either the 2.5-10x56 or 3-9x40 Trijicons with the green mil-dot reticle.  Is the 2.5-10x56 worth the extra cost and weight for low light applications or will the 3-9x40 be sufficient?

I've spent some time looking through both and bought the 3-9 for hog hunting.  The 2.5-10 isa touch brighter, but a lot bigger and I noticed severe fringing on things that were away from the center.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2010 at 13:53
Originally posted by TexasPhotog TexasPhotog wrote:

I've spent some time looking through both and bought the 3-9 for hog hunting.  The 2.5-10 isa touch brighter, but a lot bigger and I noticed severe fringing on things that were away from the center.

That is odd, I haven't heard that with other users/owners of the 2.5-10 and have not seen it in any of my Accupoints.

Describe for me, if you will, the "fringing" away from center.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic