OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

.223 holes at 200 yards

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c1steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: .223 holes at 200 yards
    Posted: June/21/2010 at 10:24
Any recommendations on a scope to see .223 holes at 200 yards?  I have been considering:

SWFA SS 10X HD
Leupold 4.5-14 x40 AO
Zeiss 4-5-14 x44
Accupoint 5-20 x50

I searched many prior posts, but did not come up with an answer.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2010 at 10:33
I would get a spotting scope personally.  I've found I need about 20X to reliably see .22 cal bullet holes @ 200, and I wouldn't want a 20X scope on my rifle personally, unless it is a target rifle or long range varmint rifle.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2010 at 10:39
Is this purely a target rifle?

Max range you will be shooting?
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
c1steve View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c1steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2010 at 10:57
This would be for a target rifle, but including practice shooting offhand.  So will need the low mag. for offhand use.  Thinking about it, using a spotting scopes seems more practical if I need 20x.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2010 at 10:58
If you use shoot and see targets it should be doable with any of the scope you listed.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
stork23raz View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2010 at 11:24

A bushnell elite spotter would would be a good budget spotter.

And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew 10:28
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2010 at 11:27
Depends on the colour of the target. A white target makes holes easier to see then on colour or shaded targets.
We shoot at life size animal targets and 20X is allready difficult to see holes on some of the backgrounds.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2010 at 12:41
Originally posted by 8shots 8shots wrote:

Depends on the colour of the target. A white target makes holes easier to see then on colour or shaded targets.
We shoot at life size animal targets and 20X is allready difficult to see holes on some of the backgrounds.

Very true.  The color of the target has a large influence on whether or not you can see the holes.  The "Shoot N See" targets certainly help here.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2010 at 19:00
I am with the rest of the guys here: use "Shoot N See" targets or get a nice spotting scope.

With riflescopes, it can be difficult due to heat coming off the barrel, for example.  On good days (i.e. favorable atmospheric conditions and cold barrel), I can see 223 holes at 200 yards with my 3-18x42 IOR and I can almost see them with 6-24x42 Sightron S2 Big Sky.  However, if the conditions are not perfect, I use a spotter.

ILya
Hedwig View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hedwig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2010 at 15:12

When the conditions are not perfect, you can have the same problem with a spotter, ...
The heat from your barrel can be fixt, with a barrel-band
At 200 yards with every qualiti-scope ( zoom +- 20) you can see the marks, on a white target.
But with "Shoot & See" it is a lot easier
Monster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2010 at 19:32
I think it depends on how detailed you want to see the holes. If you just want to see if you hit the target use "shoot n see" targets and you will be able to see the holes on those targets with the scopes you mentioned. But if you want to see more details from your target I would look into a spotting scope.
"Get Busy Livin' or get busy dyin'" -Red (Shawshank Redemption)
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2010 at 21:01
Tell us a little more about the build of the rifle is it an AR-15 or bolt action heavy barrel or what, and tell us if you will also hunt with this or use it for self defense or solely for target use.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
c1steve View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c1steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2010 at 22:39
Solely for target use, to improve my skills.  Lots of offhand shooting.

s
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2010 at 23:13
Make your own targets

Foam poster board from Office Depot (I use 30x40)
Carpet mask from Home Depot (clear and sticky on one side)
Cheap black paint (It has to flake off so don't get the good stuff)

Reusable, I've used some for 3 years.  Just take a can of black paint down range and paint the holes

Either that or get a Zeiss Conquest with a max power of 14x or more, they are amazingly clear.  I leave my spotting scope at home now.
Guns only have 2 enemies, rust and politicians
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2010 at 23:18
I think you could do well with a Sightron SIII 20x42

I have had a Super Sniper 20x42 and you should realize that in low light any scope this power with this size objective will look grey.  I think I would spend the extra money and go with Sightron because they have very good glass.  I would find it really challenging to use such a high power off hand and prefer 6x or lower but I think the Sightron is what you are after and the other two that seem to fall in line are the Leupold competition scopes and the Weaver target scopes but Sightron should have better glass than those do also.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2010 at 06:10
Originally posted by sakomato sakomato wrote:

Make your own targets

Foam poster board from Office Depot (I use 30x40)
Carpet mask from Home Depot (clear and sticky on one side)
Cheap black paint (It has to flake off so don't get the good stuff)

Reusable, I've used some for 3 years.  Just take a can of black paint down range and paint the holes

Either that or get a Zeiss Conquest with a max power of 14x or more, they are amazingly clear.  I leave my spotting scope at home now.

ah the secret is finally revealed, thats pretty clever robert.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2010 at 08:10
I buy contractors floor papper at Lowes for $20/250'roll.It's like the color of papper grocery bags.I have no problem at 250yrds seeing my .223 holes.Just add orange dots for targets.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/2010 at 08:29
Originally posted by stickbow46 stickbow46 wrote:

I buy contractors floor papper at Lowes for $20/250'roll.It's like the color of papper grocery bags.I have no problem at 250yrds seeing my .223 holes.Just add orange dots for targets.

+1

Thats what we've used for yrs. When operating poultry houses back in the 90's I always had a roll of paper laying around and couldn't ask for a better target backing. Built a steel frame with the roll shielded at the bottom with a 1/2 in. steel plate. It was 4 ft. high and simply pulled some paper up and over the top rail and clamped it down. Target dots or a black marker worked great. I'm all about cheap inexpensive solutions.
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
c1steve View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c1steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/2010 at 16:11
I like that do-it-yourself target.  What a great idea.  I will save that info.

Zeiss Conquest that good?  That much better than Leupold? 

-Steve
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/2010 at 20:10
Originally posted by c1steve c1steve wrote:

I like that do-it-yourself target.  What a great idea.  I will save that info.

Zeiss Conquest that good?  That much better than Leupold? 

-Steve

Absolutely, head and shoulders above, and I reload and shoot for over 40 rifles, some of them still have Leupolds on them but not after the owners look through one of my scopes.
Guns only have 2 enemies, rust and politicians
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic