OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Who wins - Leupold GR 8x32 or Zen Ray 7x36 EDII?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Who wins - Leupold GR 8x32 or Zen Ray 7x36 EDII?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpcollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who wins - Leupold GR 8x32 or Zen Ray 7x36 EDII?
    Posted: June/21/2010 at 08:30
I've ordered several binocs so far and have returned them because I'm spoiled due to having owned/own the Big 3 alpha binoculars.  I want something decent to keep in my truck at all times.  I've found a place where I can get a Leupold GR 8x32 non-HD (#61400) for $349 including shipping. The Zen Ray 7x36 EDII with a AT discount runs $359 with free shipping.

Eye relief is paramount, with the Leupy having the edge here.  It is a little shorter but heavier at 27ozs. The Zen is lighter at 22ozs but is a tad long at 5.8", but has the bridge design which I liked with my Swaro EL.  Just wondering which one would be considered a "Best Buy" for only a $10 difference? Thanks.

Edited by tpcollins - June/21/2010 at 08:30
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2010 at 09:05
The Zen ED2's view is fantastic, as is the GR HD.  I haven't looked through the non  HD, but I'd guess, strictly optics, that the view through the Zen HD will be better than the non HD Leupold.  The alphas won't show you anything that you can't see through the Zen ED2 or GR HD.   
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2010 at 10:17
It's a little difficult to answer your question because we don't know how picky you are about your optics and different eyes see things differently.  Either of those bins has very good image quality, especially for the price, and I would have a hard time believing you wouldn't be impressed.  I don't know about the 7X36 model, but the 8X Zens I saw had a bit of astigmatism at the field edge.  The center "sweet spot" was very good though.  I would probably get the one that you prefer ergonomically.  If you like the open bridge design, that would be the Zen ED2.  I'm not too keen on buying products made in China when I can avoid it, which might sway me toward the Japanese-made GR if all else was equal, but the Zens are superb binoculars!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
tpcollins View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpcollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2010 at 12:24
Thanks RifleDude - my choice in optics is as follows: I had two Swarovski's that I sold to get some 8x32 ELs. I sold them because they were right on the edge of eye relief for me. I bought a pair of Zeiss Victory 8x42 and love them. Although the eye relief is really tight, I don't want to get rid of my Leica 8x20 BC compacts. I have 2 Redfield Illuminators on a slug gun and 06', a 4200 Elite on my .243, and just bought a Swarovski AV3-9x36 for my new muzzleloader, and I have a Lieca CRF rangefinder.

So I'm used to seeing a clear picture in my optics. I just want something decent to keep in my truck all the time, but wouldn't commit suicide if they were stolen.  Decisions - decisions . . . but those Zen Rays are soooo long.  

Edited by tpcollins - June/21/2010 at 12:26
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic