OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

outfitting Savage 10fcp

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pwrtrip99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: outfitting Savage 10fcp
    Posted: June/17/2010 at 19:09
I recently purchased a Savage 10fcp- HS Precision and would like some advice on how I should go about setting it up.  I have my mind pretty set on a Super Sniper 10x42, but am not sure what rings and bases I should look in to.  Also, if there is anything else I should consider getting for it, I'm all ears.
-Thanks
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2010 at 19:18
Harris bipod, TPS rings and base, SS10xHD!
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2010 at 19:22
+1
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
stork23raz View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2010 at 21:00
thats a setup
dont forget the butler creek covers
And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew 10:28
pwrtrip99 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pwrtrip99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2010 at 21:47
are the covers pretty crucial?
Also, another person suggested burris XTR rings if I'm working on a limited budget.  Are those legitimate rings?
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2010 at 21:53
not cruical but they are 15 bucks for both front and rear. protect ur lenses. i think they might be waterproof. dont take my word on the waterproofing tho. i keep them on all my scopes. I also keep notes taped on the inside of the cover.. such as bullet drop and wind drift

Edited by stork23raz - June/17/2010 at 21:55
And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2010 at 21:59
The TPS rings will cost you about $13 more than the Burris and they are much much better. Get the TPS rings they are one of the best you can get for the money.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2010 at 05:07
 I personaly use an EGW 0moa on 2 10fple models both with XTR rings and 3 others with burris bases with SWFA SS rings (same as burris) and don't have any problems what so ever, these are all using SS scopes. I only have access to a 200 yard range and they do just fine and some say there is more than enough adjustment in these scopes for 1000 yards with this set up. Save a few bucks going this way and buy some extra ammo for practice shooting.
 Harris bipod is a good idea got mine on Ebay brand new half price.(took a few weeks of watching)
 A good leather sling is always a good investment. I believe there are a couple of Texas saddle companies that make them with brass connectors and sewn in padding a little expensive but will last your life time and probably anothers if taken care of.
 Good cleaning supplies but only use when accuracy starts to go away, that includes a silicone wipe cloth to wipe the grime and oil away to keep from rusting.
 A good sturdy carry case  spend a little more for quality you will not regret it.

Edited by rjtfroggy - June/18/2010 at 05:18
froggy
pwrtrip99 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pwrtrip99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2010 at 13:54
To get a little more in depth, what height of rings/base should I get?  I noticed there are multiple ring heights, and bases in a few MOA measurements.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2010 at 13:56
If you use a 20MOA base you should be able to get away with lows BUT do not hold me to that, call SWFA and talk to them they can tell you the perfect fit.  Ask for Christopher and make sure to give him a hard time! lol  They have probably outfitted 100 of exactly what you have with that scope and can tell you what to use. 

Edited by SVT_Tactical - June/18/2010 at 14:00
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
pwrtrip99 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pwrtrip99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2010 at 14:04
Thanks a bunch guys
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2010 at 15:20
Originally posted by rjtfroggy rjtfroggy wrote:

I personaly use an EGW 0moa on 2 10fple models both with XTR rings and 3 others with burris bases with SWFA SS rings (same as burris) and don't have any problems what so ever, these are all using SS scopes. I only have access to a 200 yard range and they do just fine and some say there is more than enough adjustment in these scopes for 1000 yards with this set up. Save a few bucks going this way and buy some extra ammo for practice shooting.
 Harris bipod is a good idea got mine on Ebay brand new half price.(took a few weeks of watching)
 A good leather sling is always a good investment. I believe there are a couple of Texas saddle companies that make them with brass connectors and sewn in padding a little expensive but will last your life time and probably anothers if taken care of.
 Good cleaning supplies but only use when accuracy starts to go away, that includes a silicone wipe cloth to wipe the grime and oil away to keep from rusting.
 A good sturdy carry case  spend a little more for quality you will not regret it.

No offense bro, but you are comparing cast rings(burris) to machined rings(TPS).  I have a set of Burris rings and they no where compare to the several pair of TPS I have had.  They may do the job okay, but when it comes to precision rifles, consistency is king.

rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2010 at 04:59
 ST no offense taken. Like I said "works for me"with this set up at the range the other day I shot 1/2" groups at 200 with both my 7mm & my 223 and that is precise enough for me.
 If he wants pinpoint precision I would be looking for something other than a SS 10x scope, and something much better than the factory blow molded plastic stock.That is the first thing to go on mine.

Edited by rjtfroggy - June/19/2010 at 05:00
froggy
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2010 at 10:42
IMO it doesnt matter what stock, barrel/action, scope u got.  If you dont have the right rings to keep the scope perfect then the rest of it done matter cause  its gonna shift eventually. I think you should try to get the best u can afford, but Id get really good rings and scope first. and then work on the gun.
example why spend 1000 on a rifle and 500 on scope & rings when you could spend 800 on scope 200 on rings/bases and then 500 on a rifle. u can go back  later on and get abetter barrel trigger and stock but getting a good solid quality mounted optics would be my number one priority.

pwrtrip99 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pwrtrip99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2010 at 11:18
"the factory blow molded plastic stock"

This isn't quite the normal 10fp, actually.  Comes from the factory with an HS Precision HTR-type stock (http://www.hsprecision.com/shop/stocks/pst114.html) complete with aluminum bedding block bolting directly to the action, very similar to the accustock being sold by Savage.
Will the TPS rings really perform that much better than the XTRs?
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2010 at 11:20
IMO if you start getting ready to stretch the distance out of the gun, yes.  Not that the others want suffice you don't want to have that as part of the equation if you run into trouble. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic