OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

HSM 185gr VLD

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GetSome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HSM 185gr VLD
    Posted: June/17/2010 at 19:03
Just wondering if anyone has used the HSM 300 weatherby loaded with the Berger 185 VLD?
If so what kind of velocity are you getting?
If not do any of you know where I can find velocity info on this round.
Thank's in advance.

lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2010 at 07:06
I believe you can contact Berger directly and they'll work up some ballistics for you.  We also have a member here (Trigger29) that has been doing alot of load development with the 300wby.  He'll probably chime in with some good info.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2010 at 10:16
I've not shot the HSM ammo, but did hunt with the Berger 185 VLD last year. I was pleased with it's terminal performance. I didn't make a hit on anything real long range, (388 yards) but the bullet still did just what they said it would. It was pretty much a bang flop.
I believe I read once that they were running that right around 3000 fps, but don't quote me on that. I can't seem to dig up the information anymore. I would email them and ask them.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
GetSome View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GetSome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2010 at 15:19
Thank's for the replies...I will send them an email and see what they say.  The info is for a friend who really wants to give this round a try, unfortunately I don't have a 300 WBY yet..but after shooting his, it is on list.
trigger29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2010 at 18:31
It is an excellent round. Not as popular as the .300 Win, but there are a few out there. I've driven the 185 VLD to 3270 fps. They shoot best out of my accumark right at 3000, and that is plenty for me. I get to load them down a bit, recoil is very mild, and they are deadly for as far out as I can shoot. I kind of draw the line at 500 yards for game, but have shot these to 700 quite a bit, and they are an excellent bullet.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2010 at 21:35
I owned, and sold, a Ruger #1 in 300 Weatherby.
Wish I could take that one back....

Grenade

I did, however, get excellent performance out of my 300 ultra and 185 bergers last season.  It is a good bullet.

-Matt
GetSome View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GetSome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2010 at 21:41
Good info Trigger, my buddy and his friend are going to start working up loads for the 300WBY's next weekend, and he just picked up a box of HSM in Portland somewhere.  They are both new to reloading and these will be the first loads produced by them.  I am pretty new to reloading too, but I am going up there to see if I can offer some help.  What is your favorite brass to reload your 300 with?  Any preference on primers?

The only Ruger #1 I have shot was in 25-06 Ackley or AI (not sure as it has been a number of years).  Now that is one model, that if I ever get my hands on I will never get rid of.  Sorry to hear you had to get rid of yours.

Edited by GetSome - June/18/2010 at 21:49
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2010 at 22:27
wby brass, fed 215 primers
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
GetSome View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GetSome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2010 at 22:48
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

wby brass, fed 215 primers

Nice Pyro...thanks.  I think all they have is wby brass at this point.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2010 at 09:15
remington makes .300wby brass, but it doesnt last as long.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2010 at 15:19

I also used Weatherby brass and F215s.  Reloader 25 and IMR 7828 are great powders for that bullet weight.

I heard Norma makes the Weatherby brass.
-Matt
trigger29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2010 at 16:45
I also prefer the weatherby brass. As for primers, anything I can find right now, but fed. 215's would be great. The remington brass seems to have a couple grains less capacity, and is not near the quality of the Wby brass. On wby brass, I do nothing with uniforming primer pockets, or flash holes, they are good to go.

GetSome View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GetSome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2010 at 22:46
Solid info gentlemen, thanks...I will pass it on.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic