OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Swarovski Z6 vs Zeiss Diavari FL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scottyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Swarovski Z6 vs Zeiss Diavari FL
    Posted: June/17/2010 at 14:54
Im torn between the Swarovski 3-18X50 Z6 BR and the Zeiss Diavari 4-16X50 FL Rapid Z 800.
50/50 target and hunting. Short and long range.
The Swarovski has a better X range, but I believe the Zeiss may have the edge in image quality and low light capability. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Any optical distortion in the low X range with either of these scopes?

Maine? Where's that?
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2010 at 15:32
The Z6 should have the better glass but not by much.  I think the reticle lines are a tad thin for my taste on the Z6 so my preference would be the Zeiss but both are so nice there is no wrong answer.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2010 at 15:40
Man I would sure like to be in your dilemma.  Me on the other hand, I am trying to decide if I should get a new water heater now or just keep running out of hot water in my showers til fall.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Scottyman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scottyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2010 at 15:51
 I'm mostly worried about the low end distortion. My IOR 4-14X50 Tactical has some distortion at the low end which is very noticeable to me in the woods. It's great for long range target shooting, but the lower X doesn't cut it for hunting. Time for a replacement.
 Does the Swaro have any kind of protective outer lense coating?
 I do like the Z800 reticle better.
Maine? Where's that?
Scottyman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scottyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2010 at 16:03
The Swaro site has no information about the lense coatings.
Nothing about the length of warranty either.
Maine? Where's that?
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2010 at 16:30
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

The Z6 should have the better glass but not by much.  I think the reticle lines are a tad thin for my taste on the Z6 so my preference would be the Zeiss but both are so nice there is no wrong answer.

Really? I compared my Diavari to a friend's Z6 and i like my glass better, both are superb, I thought color was better on the Zeiss.  And the lotutek coating is worth the price of admission.

To each, his own.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2010 at 16:38
Originally posted by Scottyman Scottyman wrote:

I'm mostly worried about the low end distortion. My IOR 4-14X50 Tactical has some distortion at the low end which is very noticeable to me in the woods. It's great for long range target shooting, but the lower X doesn't cut it for hunting. Time for a replacement.
 Does the Swaro have any kind of protective outer lense coating?
 I do like the Z800 reticle better.

Z6 is better on the low end, with a wider FOV, less tunnel vision, and sharper image out to the edge of the field.  Both are pretty much equal in terms of linear distortion.  Diavari FL has a hydrophobic outer lens coating (what they call "LotuTec"), Z6 does not.  I like the Zeiss reticle choices better.  If you opt for illumination, I like Z6's illumination system MUCH better.  Either are fantastic scopes and it's doubtful you'd be disappointed with either.  There truly is no wrong answer here.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2010 at 18:56

neither scopes will give the tunnel vision of the Ior so your safe, but the Zeiss and I'm assuming your talking about the new flourite lens one  would get my vote, better turrets by far and the Z800 reticle is outstanding.

I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2010 at 23:24

Both scopes are great. If you think the lines are to thin in the Z6 the Z 800 will be more confusing in low light or with a complicated background. I really like the Z800 for the adaptability for ballistics. Its great for open ground but in cover it is slower to find. When you get to this level neither is a poor choice. You just have to decide which is better more of the time for your needs.

Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2010 at 07:38
RifleDude nailed it.
 For low light image contrast and resolution the Swarovski is superior, to the point where even I can see the difference, but the same may not be true during daylight hours.
For the stated purpose, the Diavari's Z800 reticle and Lotutec coatings are a plus, but just buy the scope that floats your boat and you will have made the right choice.

You won't have any worries about either brand's warranty.

Can't decide between 'em?
Make yourself a truth table and tally all the features that win you over for each scope.
Toss a coin on ties. Or...
Buy 'em both. Get yourself another rifle.
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2010 at 08:06
the z6 might have better glass than the Diavari-- might--- but the Fl (Flouride) don't think so.
Yogi Bera

Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2010 at 12:13
I agree with Rifledude but everyone eyes see things differently.
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2010 at 12:28
I just noticed the question was about the "FL" version of the Diavari.  I saw those at SHOT and was very impressed, but haven't seen them outside a building.  I would say it all depends on whether or not extensive knob cranking and ranging will be involved, such as in field tactical application.  If so, the Diavari FL is much better suited to this.  I especially like the locking sleeve on the knobs.  The FL scopes looked much like the Hensoldts overall.  I still think the Z6 is better than Diavaris in general on the low end of the power range.  Z6 is almost without comparison on edge to edge clarity and lack of tunnel effect at the low end of the power range.  On the upper end, I think they are equivalent.  I also think Z6 has the best illumination system I've seen if you want a lit reticle model.  Not a big fan of Zeiss's illumination controls.  In terms of reticles and knobs, I like the Diavari FL better, and assuming the FL version is a step up from the standard Diavari, it may have superior glass overall, but can't confirm.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2010 at 12:38
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

I just noticed the question was about the "FL" version of the Diavari.  I saw those at SHOT and was very impressed, but haven't seen them outside a building.  I would say it all depends on whether or not extensive knob cranking and ranging will be involved, such as in field tactical application.  If so, the Diavari FL is much better suited to this.  I especially like the locking sleeve on the knobs.  The FL scopes looked much like the Hensoldts overall.  I still think the Z6 is better than Diavaris in general on the low end of the power range.  Z6 is almost without comparison on edge to edge clarity and lack of tunnel effect at the low end of the power range.  On the upper end, I think they are equivalent.  I also think Z6 has the best illumination system I've seen if you want a lit reticle model.  Not a big fan of Zeiss's illumination controls.  In terms of reticles and knobs, I like the Diavari FL better, and assuming the FL version is a step up from the standard Diavari, it may have superior glass overall, but can't confirm.
Thunbs Up
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2010 at 12:41
I called Swarovski last year and was told the Z6 glass is the same as the Zeiss FL.
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Scottyman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scottyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2010 at 15:06
 I'm going to have to compare them side by side in my scope tester. I have a few more months before I decide. Maybe a dealer will be generous enough to send them to me to evaluate.
 I've always been a Zeiss Diavari fan since I had the 2.5-10X50 a few years ago. Couldn't get use to the FFP reticle. Sold it.   
 Did Swaro really improve the PH (now Z6) that much to surpass the Diavari in FOV(and other areas)? The Diavari did have the advantage in FOV and was equal or slightly better in low light when comparing it to the PH.

Maine? Where's that?
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2010 at 15:47
Originally posted by Scottyman Scottyman wrote:

I'm going to have to compare them side by side in my scope tester. I have a few more months before I decide. Maybe a dealer will be generous enough to send them to me to evaluate.
 I've always been a Zeiss Diavari fan since I had the 2.5-10X50 a few years ago. Couldn't get use to the FFP reticle. Sold it.   
 Did Swaro really improve the PH (now Z6) that much to surpass the Diavari in FOV(and other areas)? The Diavari did have the advantage in FOV and was equal or slightly better in low light when comparing it to the PH.

Yes, Swaro really improved on the z6.

Please read Ted's posts again and go from there. Their honest, unbiased, and always "spot-on".  Excellent

Z6 is better on the low end, with a wider FOV, less tunnel vision, and sharper image out to the edge of the field.  Both are pretty much equal in terms of linear distortion.  Diavari FL has a hydrophobic outer lens coating (what they call "LotuTec"), Z6 does not.  I like the Zeiss reticle choices better.  If you opt for illumination, I like Z6's illumination system MUCH better.  Either are fantastic scopes and it's doubtful you'd be disappointed with either.  There truly is no wrong answer here.

“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2010 at 17:14
Ted is spot on in his assessment.  Personally though, Zeiss Diavari FL impressed the hell out of me.   The choice depends on the usage.  If you expect to spend a lot of time at high magnification, I like the Zeiss FL.  If you expect to mostly use it at mid-low magnification, then Z6 is likely better.

Oh, and they do NOT have the same glass.  Both have glass made by Schott, but that is the extend of the similarity.  This particular model of Z6 does use ED glass for one of th elenses in the objective system, but it is an entirely different design and even the type of ED glass used is different.

ILya
Scottyman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scottyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2010 at 17:52

Definately will have to compare side by side at this price point.

50/50 usage. Target highX/Hunting low to mid and some high X.

I'm biased towards the Zeiss, but will have to see the Swaro before deciding.

Know any generous dealers that will allow you to try it before you buy it? :)

Maine? Where's that?
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2010 at 18:42
the z6 isn't an updated ph, different animal. z6 has a unique 4 coil erector set up that pushes against the ocular assembly to keep zero. higher ratio in the erector 6x, and the low end is the best out there. but the top end is at least in my 2x12 isn't that outstanding. The fast focus in my diavaris are more positive and solid than my z6 (actually wobbles after approx. 3000 rds) and the turrets are alot better. Quite a few dealers out there that will let you demo. Most require a full deposit and/or return within the time frame of that states lemon laws.
Yogi Bera

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic