OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

I as an NRA member

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I as an NRA member
    Posted: June/16/2010 at 15:34
 So what do I do? And what are you,if your an NRA member,going to do? I'm about ready to drop out and support GOA. From what I understand the NRA won't support it but they won't oppose it:

"I ain't got time to bleed!"
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2010 at 16:04
I have found the free mags and the extra insurance is worth my $20 a year.....I dont' always agree with what they say and do but the premise behind them is good for our rights
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2010 at 16:20

Just from the info in that article, I'm not sure that the NRA did anything wrong.  The Dems know that the NRA is a huge hurdle to their proposed bill because of its demonstrated ability to organize opposition that gets their comrades voted out of office, so they are trying to appease them.  There's no indication in this article that the NRA is supporting the Dem's proposed amended bill, so criticism toward it may be a bit premature.  The fact that the Dems are even attempting to try to appease the NRA is a testament to its effectiveness and their tantamount admission that they fear it.

Regardless, Campaign Finance Reform was wrong when it was proposed and wrong now.  It's unconstitutional because it violates the right to free speech.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2010 at 16:38

"The NRA confirmed that as long as they are exempt, "the NRA will not be involved in final consideration of the House bill," according to a statement released Tuesday."

First comes the cake with the NRA rubbing shoulders with Reid.  Now comes the icing with this.  What's going to be the candle?

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2010 at 17:03
 Here's an interesting stat.  In the last Board of Directors election only 10% of the NRA membership voted.  Maybe it was 10% of the left side. Stranger things have happened. Can we say OBAMA?
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2010 at 18:06
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

I have found the free mags and the extra insurance is worth my $20 a year.....I dont' always agree with what they say and do but the premise behind them is good for our rights
Well put, I'll leave it at that.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2010 at 19:06
Too much darkness here. I would not read too much into that. The Dems are not our friends and they're trying to suck up. I think the NRA board is way too smart to think they can turn their back on them.
I've been an NRA member since the late seventies. I don't always agree with them. One thing for sure, they are the biggest voice we have on the federal, and in a lot of cases, state government.

Doug
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2010 at 19:11
 "I would not read too much into that. The Dems are not our friends and they're trying to suck up. I think the NRA board is way too smart to think they can turn their back on them.
"

I'm HOPING your right,Doug.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2010 at 19:45
I've been watching the party of the working class way too long to believe they can be trusted. The NRA has been watching them longer.
What scares me is that the libs are just waiting, if not wanting, the next big murderous crime spree to trample on gun rights. What is sickening is the wanting aspect. I despise liberal idealists that will do anything to put the average freedom loving person in their place.
Their was plenty of truth to the infamous "jack booted thugs" statement Wayne LaPierre used back in the Clinton years. Unfortunately the media was pro White House and the rest is history.

Doug
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2010 at 19:58
  I was rereading my American Hunter last evening and came across the pics of Harry Reid. Then I get up today and read about The Disclose Act.  Kinda went right through me. 
  Guess maybe it's best to keep your enemies close so you can see what their up to.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2010 at 20:42
Keep in mind that the NRA and other lobby groups like it are single issue organizations.  They show support to Dems on occasion if the Dem in question does something in support of firearms rights.  I saw the issue talking about Reid.  They commended him in an article because of his role in getting some land converted to a shooting range.  I didn't see it as an unqualified, wholesale endorsement of Reid.  They evaluate politicians based solely on whether or not they are 2nd Amendment friendly and nothing else.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2010 at 21:19
"The NRA isn't going anywhere and neither are my guns". My self-made quote and i believe in it 110%.

Notice Obama hasn't even sniffed at going after gun control. He knows he won't/can't get anything even remotely close to what he wants. He already sunk his career with the health-care passage. And come November Republicans will control the house and possibly senate.

Doesn't mean i won't stop clinging to my guns and religion B Wink
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

"Issac Newton invented gravity because some asshole hit him with an apple"
-Chris Moltisanti
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2010 at 08:35
I'm with Ted on this. I don't think the NRA asked for this exemption, but if your going to get something for free why fight it. I would be upset too if the NRA had lobbied for it. I also suspect that the wording of the legislation would probably cover some groups friendly to the Dems, but is not being publicized by the media because they can take swipes at the NRA. AARP is probably covered as well as other big Dem supporters, but the media won't point them out, but they should be.
By pointing out the NRA the media has been able to make many of it's members mad at them for something they didn't do, a win win for the liberal media. While I'm not happy about this, I'm sure the NRA is going to look at this a little harder now.
The bottom line is, this legislation should be killed, but if it passes at least they will still have a voice.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2010 at 08:54
 I can live with that explanation,Lynn. 
Terry Lamb View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terry Lamb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2010 at 17:23
The NRA remains pure to its mission, which is to fight without exception anything that would diminish our individual rights under the constitution and its second amendment. To this extent it is sometimes startlingly bipartisan in its support, or in its opposition. There is no political ideology, only constitutional ideology.

Thus Harry Reid, otherwise an apparent left-wing idiot,  strongly supports individual gun rights and always has. It is the only issue on which the NRA grades candidates or elected office holders. The NRA simply refuses to become embroiled in other political battles, a philosophy which has made them incredibly effective.

McCain-Feingold, ironically sponsored by the otherwise pro-gun John McCain, attempted to muzzle pre-election issue advertising by corporations, the NRA included. It was an outrageous congressional attempt to protect the advantage of all incumbents. Thus it was, and is, an issue with which the NRA must be directly involved in order to serve it's members' interests and continue the legislative and regulatory battles with those who are second amendment enemies....and there are many.
Terry Lamb
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic