OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

HOG HUNTING

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pwink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HOG HUNTING
    Posted: June/16/2010 at 10:51
I am getting in to hog hunting on a 22,000 acs of planted corn land in the bottom next to a river.  I have had great luck with my rem 700vls .204 with a monarch.  I have shot a number of 250 puls lb pigs.  Now with that said all i have ever owned have been remington 700 guns and well I just bought an AR-15.  i have about 6k to spend on night vision supresson and sights any thoughts on all three or just one
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2010 at 11:06
If your AR is .223, I think 250-pounders is about the max I'd go for.  Big, big hogs get nasty when injured, and they are dangerous game for good reason.

Suppressors work great on hogs, so long as they don't squeal (the alarm bell to their non-dead brethren), precision shot placement is the name of the "shoot many hogs" game.  I run a 30-cal can on my .223 and it works great.  I also run that same can on several 308s, it is far more versatile than a .223 can.  FYI.

As for night vision, that alone could eat up the whole budget.  If it is a dedicated hog gun, look for gen3+ or gen4 with a magnification range of 2-6.  Another option is a civilian version of the PVS22, which mounts just forward of your day scope - that is the route I will be taking.  Another (far cheaper) option is a laser illuminator - available at SWFA.  It is a light source so is not nearly as stealthy as a night vision scope, but it's $300 compared to $3000.

Be advised, running an AR suppressed is dirty,dirty,dirty.  You'd better be very good at and very fond of cleaning your AR, it will get filthy fast.

Where in Texas are you hunting?  There are a few texas hog hunters around.

Edited by Rancid Coolaid - June/16/2010 at 11:07
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2010 at 11:12
Surefire Suppressor
Surefire Suppressor
Stock # - SURFA762SSBK
  • Black
  • For 7.62mm (.308 caliber) semi-auto or bolt-action rifles and carbines
  • FFL REQUIRED: Fax SOT & FFL to (972)-617-7056 with your order #.
  • Will only ship on FORM 3 to another NFA dealer.
$1,984.95 

Pulsar 4x60 Sentinel Night Vision Riflescope
Pulsar 4x60 Sentinel Night Vision Riflescope
Stock # - PL76126T
  • Black
  • Mil-Dot Reticle
  • 2nd Generation
$2,799.95 

These and a nice bolt action 308 with a threaded barrel will get you all you need
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
pwink View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pwink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2010 at 11:14
i am just out side of college station tx
stork23raz View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2010 at 11:15

Im showing my ignorance, but what kind of 223 round to do use on hogs?

And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew 10:28
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2010 at 11:15
Rancid is spot on with a 308 can on a 223.  I have one and use it on a 308, 2  223s, and 22lr and it is effective on all.  
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2010 at 11:16
Originally posted by stork23raz stork23raz wrote:

heavy one...lol     a 75gr-er in a well place shot will do the job on most under the 250lb mark... so i'm told never had one that big down here however thats just what i've used in the past.  not sure if theres a standard

Edited by SVT_Tactical - June/16/2010 at 11:21
pwink View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pwink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2010 at 11:19
i have not even shot the 223 yet but hornady 32gr .204 and a prision shot drops them every time.  now like Rancid said If your AR is .223, I think 250-pounders is about the max I'd go for.  Big, big hogs get nasty when injured, and they are dangerous game for good reason. i do carry a s and w 357 mag on my side.  unless it is hand loads hornady is all i shoot
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2010 at 11:22
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

Originally posted by stork23raz stork23raz wrote:

heavy one...lol     a 75gr-er in a well place shot will do the job on most under the 250lb mark

We have alot of hogs here. I have been wanting to go for along time but I dont have a rifle big enough. My a bushmaster 223 1in9 (60gr soft point) is the biggest one i got. (well i got an AK but its not accurate enough to hunt with) I been wanting to take it deer hunting but I always heard that a 223 was to small to shoot a deer past 100 yards.  What range you shooting hogs. brain shots?
And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2010 at 11:23
Nothing against you but if your gonna hunt hogs and go that far  into an investment I'd look at at least a .30 round or better.  They say things are bigger in TX, not sure, haven't been, but I know a .223 is pushing limits here on our little NC hogs the few times I have experience on

pwink View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pwink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2010 at 11:24
with the .204 hand load muzz velosity at just under 5000 fps i have taken a 264 sow at just under 275 yds used a range finder to get the yardadge so give or take a few yds
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2010 at 11:25
By the way pwink, sounds like you are gonna have a heck of alot of fun

pwink View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pwink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2010 at 11:26
i have a remington model 7 300 rem sa um as well its always on the 4 wheeler just in case and i have pulled it out twice and it never fails on the pigs
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2010 at 11:31
Ive seem them around here anywhere from 50-500. I think most people around here dont use anythign less than 270. I honestly would have never even considered a .204 especailly at that range. Ive heard of people shooting them with 44 mag and it just blowing the fatty grissle off.

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2010 at 11:33
AEO Multi-Use Mini Monocular NVG (MUM2)
AEO Multi-Use Mini Monocular NVG (MUM2)
Stock # - ITMUMM
  • MUM2 with Image Intensifier Tube - 3rd Gen.
  • Lens Cap
  • Eye-cup
  • Soft Carrying Case
  • Operator Manual
  • Demist Shield
  • Sacrificial Window
  • Head mount Assembly
  • Head/Helmet Mount Adapter
  • Lens Tissue
  • Battery 123A Lithium
  • Battery Adapter
  • Weapon Mount
  • Neck Cord
  • Brow Pads
  • Shoulder Strap
$3,495.95 
Here is another option on NV that uses your existing optics
pwink View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pwink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2010 at 11:34
i really wasnt a big fan of the .204 untill i picked one up and shot it then it was all over.  I am shooting a 1.5 inch group at 300 with it and still has the velosity to go throuh the head at 300yds
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2010 at 11:43
honestly if you just told me u just went out and bought a 204 and said u were going hog hunting i would have prob said you were insane.
but dude that is AWESOME.

Good luck to ya hope you get a set up that you like. The guys here on the forums are very knowledgable and Im positive they will help you find everything you need.

pwink View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pwink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2010 at 11:51
stork23raz dont feel bad most of my buddies that go with me said the same ting untill they saw it in action i know it is a light bullet but it will do the job and i have that gun set up just right for what i am doing with it
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2010 at 11:53
Well welcome to the forums.

pwink View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pwink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2010 at 11:54

heres a 150 lb that i took about a month ago

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic