OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rimfire / Airgun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Finding the right scope??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R1ABUSER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Finding the right scope??
    Posted: June/15/2010 at 17:28
Newbie needing some help finding the right scope/rings for me and my gun. I have a S&W M&P 15-22. It has a full length picatinny/weaver rail on top. I have a friend who likes Millett scopes so I have seen a Millett up close. Like the Donut mildot/3 crosshair look. After researching them I have questions about the quality. (ie. fungus, new bushnell ownership). I am looking for an illuminated reticle (dual color is ok too), good to about 100-150 yards? 22's aren't much good past that are they? Doesn't have to be bullett drop compensated but that is ok too. Good turrets, side focus. Gun is going to be used as a paper puncher indoor and oudoor. Could you guys give recommendations in the $200-$300 range for the optic/scope. I don't know much about Leupold, Trijicon, NcStar, Aimpoint, Op Swiss or the many other scope manufacturers. Let me hear about the quality scopes in the price range I gave and what to stay away from. If you guys need more info let me know.

Thanks in advance guys. 
Brian
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/2010 at 20:01
If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
stork23raz View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2010 at 07:14
http://swfa.com/Vortex-4-16x50-Crossfire-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P13298.aspx
http://swfa.com/Vortex-6-24x50-Crossfire-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P13295.aspx 
these  and the vortex that neilbilly recommnedted are prob pretty good for the price if you really want the illuminated reticle. Although the one Neilbilly recommmned is probaly more 22 size. these are kinda beefy.

ALthough if you were willing to part from that IR then I would go with
I have one on my 22. excelllent. I crank the knobs I use the mildot for holdovers and ranging.  works flawlessley everytime and always returns to zero. very durable too. A guy on here ran his over with his truck.

Whatever ring you would go with I would get something high enough to since you go that straight buttstock so you can be comfortable.

And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew 10:28
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2010 at 07:16
Leatherwood 1-4x24 CMR Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope
Leatherwood 1-4x24 CMR Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - CMR14X24
  • Matte
  • Illuminated Special Ranging w/ Circle and Dot
  • 30mm
  • Comes with Leatherwood Lens Covers
  • Zero Locking Turrets
$249.95 
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2010 at 07:20

Side focus scopes  are more costly to make. So I doubt you will find one in your price range with IR and good knobs. Once again the SS is THE package. especially for  paper punching. Get some match ammo(I use wolf match target). for the sake of mankind dont use high velocity. No you are not going to shoot 2 in groups at 200 yards. But u will be suprise waht a 22 is capable of. I would say get the SS, match ammo, make some good ballistic tables and enjoy

And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

R1ABUSER View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R1ABUSER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2010 at 15:01
All great options. Anymore? The SS would be my choice if I can't find the IR I want. I really like the Leatherwood SVT mentioned. Is there a sun shade available for it? I can't seem to find one when I google the scope part #. One question on that scope, Is the knob on the eyepiece a side focus knob or a battery storage compartment? Doesn't say in the description.

Should I stay away from the Milletts?

One quick question. On a cheaper scope I used to have if I didn't have my cheek resting on a certain spot on the stock the scope would not have a full view. There would be a black area around the scope. Did that mean I didn't have it adjusted right, like the eye relief was wrong? Or is that just an old cheap scope.
Brian
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2010 at 15:15

the black is your eye releif. When you mount the scope , be sure to adjust the eye relief so you should be able to pull the scope up to your natural point of aim, or natural rest position. and have a full edge to edge clarity.  the big nob on the eyepiece is the IR control also where you put ur battery.

R1ABUSER View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R1ABUSER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2010 at 16:34
Ordered the Leatherwood CMR today with the Burris PEPR mount. Did alot of research and the scope is getting excellent reviews. Seems a perfect match for my M&P 15-22.

Good looking out SVT.
Brian
R1ABUSER View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R1ABUSER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2010 at 12:38
Well, went to the range and sighted it in at 100 yards. What kind/size of grouping should I hope to achieve. I had about a 5-6" grouping with some wind swirling. I was seated, bench rest shooting resting on my gearbag (no bipod yet). Shooting at a man sized target with walmart federal 550 ammo. I drew 2 dots about 2-3" in diameter in the head kill zone and in the center mass kill zone. On 4x (max mag. on the scope) the center MIL DOT completely covered the circle I was aiming at so I thought it was pretty good.
Any suggestions to improve or is that as good as can be expected.
Brian
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2010 at 18:33

With the .22 you are going to have to find the round your rifle shoots the best. 

If you get lucky it's one of the cheaper rounds, if you aren't it's the match grade premium ammo. Try buying a box of several different types. We had a thread about one guys quest for the right .22 round not long ago. I'll see if I can find it and link it.

neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2010 at 18:44
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2010 at 09:17
THat is probably not all that bad of a group with a 22 like yours and the cheap ammo you are shooting.  100 yards pretty far for a .22.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2010 at 09:25

play with different ammo as well.  I had a lot of ammo run through several guns and it never  got much better than paper plate consitantcy.  don't have to go to the high priced stuff but save teh bulk ammo for slinging lead and get some better for accuracy

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
R1ABUSER View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R1ABUSER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2010 at 21:29
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

THat is probably not all that bad of a group with a 22 like yours and the cheap ammo you are shooting.  100 yards pretty far for a .22.

This is what I was hoping to hear.Sharp Shooter
Brian
R1ABUSER View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R1ABUSER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2010 at 21:35
Originally posted by neilbilly neilbilly wrote:

Good stuff here from SVT

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=23086

Very interesting read. Wish I had that guy that guy to shoot with. I could learn a thing or two.
Brian
R1ABUSER View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R1ABUSER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2010 at 21:48
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

play with different ammo as well.  I had a lot of ammo run through several guns and it never  got much better than paper plate consitantcy.  don't have to go to the high priced stuff but save teh bulk ammo for slinging lead and get some better for accuracy

In some of the stuff I read about the rifle before I purchased it said to stay away from a few kinds of ammo and the gun liked Federal 550, CCI, and Winchester I think. That's why I went with the feds (cheap and readily available).  One of these days I might try some Lapuas but damn, $11-$12 a box, thats big boy gun bullet price. Lol.

Question. Would it have been better to sight in at 50yds, then use the BDC reticle for 100yds and just shoot low at 25yds?
Brian
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/2010 at 07:28
I really wouldn't recommend the lapua for that gun.  I dont' think they intended it to be a tack driver and even in the best hands with the best ammo for it it still may not be a great performer at 100yds.  Theres a huge difference in that CZ i did the test with and the M&P15-22.  Do i think it could do better than 2MOA, maybe, but realistically its not meant for that.  I would limit yourself to 50yds with it. If you want to target shoot farther than that get you a good bolt action 22, you won't regret it.  Savage, CZ, and a few others are cheap and scary accurate.  Not saying you dont' need to shoot farther with it or saying you can't more or less just implying you'd see better groups with a bolt action, longer barrel gun. 
Either way i still think you may find different ammo that works better than bulk. Go to Mid-way and just search for 22lr ammo.  sort by price, buy a few boxes of 50.  test them all out, find a flavor that works.  You may end up with a cheaper alternative.  I ended up using the Fiocchi more than i do the lapua because of the price. Still have lapua for the itch to really put a awesome group out there but Fiocchi won over in price.
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/2010 at 12:41
You might want to try Fed gold if you can find it.Much more consistant than bulk pk & only 10$ more!Whats scary about .22 is I find myself going for Tenex twice a year to feed my 1710 HB Annie.
  I found Wolff target & Fed gold best all around but I would not feed it to my Spikes .22[AR] stay with the Wally world,I know that every 9 or 10 rds will be a flier[buy cheap- get cheap]
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic