OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New scope
    Posted: June/15/2010 at 15:29
Need some help. I'm a novice in regards to riflescopes. Yesterday I received the new Nikon M223 3x12 42 BDC. The M223 mount is backordered until the 1st of July or so. I will be mounting this on a S&W M&P15T.  It is obvious with this optic set-up I will be unable to use my Troy battlesights that came with the gun. How much of a hassle is it to take the scope (w/ mount) off the gun every now and then to use the open sights? How close will my settings be when I put it back on the flathead? I assume removing the mount with the scope attached is not that big of a deal. All guidance is appreciated. Thanks.

Klem
(__{@}____|||~~
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/2010 at 15:38
I don't know Nikon's mount but would Consider a LaRue QD if you really want minimal point of impact shift.

With mot conventional scope mounts, the BUIS will not fit.  And if they do fit, that usually means the scope is so high you need a cheek piece to use the optic, which makes the irons less relevant.

Get the LaRue, easy to mount/dismount, great gear, very dependable.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/2010 at 15:44
Originally posted by Klem Klem wrote:

Need some help. I'm a novice in regards to riflescopes. Yesterday I received the new Nikon M223 3x12 42 BDC. The M223 mount is backordered until the 1st of July or so. I will be mounting this on a S&W M&P15T.  It is obvious with this optic set-up I will be unable to use my Troy battlesights that came with the gun. How much of a hassle is it to take the scope (w/ mount) off the gun every now and then to use the open sights? How close will my settings be when I put it back on the flathead? I assume removing the mount with the scope attached is not that big of a deal. All guidance is appreciated. Thanks.

Klem

Having never used one of those mounts, you will probably have to rezero your scope when it's removed. 
It may not move much, but some is expected.

On the other hand, you might use high or extra high rings instead of a one piece mount to keep from having to remove your Troy at all.  

Welcome to Optics Talk!
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/2010 at 15:45
Bobro Precision Optic 1 Bobro Precision Optic 1" Mount
Stock # - BOBB03200254
  • Low
  • Standard
$199.95 
or this
GG&G AR15/M16 Accessory GG&G AR15/M16 Accessory
Stock # - GGG1384
  • FLT Bolt On Scope Mount with 30mm Integral Rings
$146.95 
with these
GG&G Miscellaneous Accessory GG&G Miscellaneous Accessory
Stock # - GGG1392
  • 30mm to 1" Ring Reducer
$14.95 
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Klem View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2010 at 14:39
Thanks for the help. I've cancelled my back-order of the Nikon mount and this morning I ordered the LT 104 from LaRue Tactical. Twice the $, but appears to be more functional. Never realized how expensive the AR world was. Must be with those military specs they figure the govm't (BO & Co.) is picking up the tab. Thanks again.
Klem

(__{@}____|||~~
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2010 at 15:37
Just wait.  Just you wait.

Soon you'll decide the pistol grip sucks and upgrade that ($30) then the stock sucks, you need a new one ($150+), then you'll decide a piston conversion would be cool ($300), then maybe a new quad rail to accommodate the piston conversion ($300+); you are at the beginning.

In time, you'll have a 10-pound, $3000 "carbine."  It's a sickness, for sure.

LaRue makes great stuff, you will be pleased.  And I have found mine to have minimal POI shift from dismounting/remounting.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2010 at 17:34
DevilLa Rue

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic