OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Optics Comparison

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Panther 51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Optics Comparison
    Posted: June/14/2010 at 22:01
I am looking to buy a new scope for my AR to do a little coyote hunting.  I have tentatively narrowed my list to these three scopes.  Can anyone give me any insight as to the comparison between the optics between them?  I need a good clear view for these aging eyes. < ="-" ="text/; =utf-8">< name="ProgId" ="Word.">< name="Generator" ="Microsoft Word 12">< name="Originator" ="Microsoft Word 12">
War Eagle
cowski View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2010 at 22:44
would not get the 16x but either of the others is fine.  ROLL TIDEExcellent
never corner something meaner than you are jbc
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/2010 at 00:08
I have the Nikon 2.5-10x42 and is is very clear and sharp. The Nikon will have a larger eyebox than the Leupold and it will give you more contrast too. This will help a lot when picking the coyote out of tall cover.  The 16x SS will be tough to use on running coyotes because of the much smaller field of view. In Alabama you will likely have heavy cover most of the time. If shooting over cut fields be sure to get a good rangefinder to help with accurate ranging when you are using the BCD. Accurate ranging is the key to make the most out of a BCD scope.
Welcome to the OT. Its a place that can grow on you.

Edited by 3_tens - June/15/2010 at 00:08
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Panther 51 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Panther 51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/2010 at 10:08
Thanks!  That is the type advice I am looking for.  I was comparing different scopes at Academy a couple of days ago and it seems that price is not the determining factor on optic quality.  In comparison, some scopes that I looked at were like looking through fog or smoke while others were crystal clear.  That is why I made the post - hoping to get some info from experienced shooters who had the opportunity to actually look through several different models in my price range.  Come on guys!!!  How about a little more help?
War Eagle
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/2010 at 10:17
The Nikon you mention is around 450.  If i was gonna put that into a scope for coyote I would want a min power max of no more than 4.  The fixed SS is just to much for anything but target shooting IMO.  I'd look hard at the Vortex Viper line up, this one would be a great choice with good glass and durablility
Vortex 4-12x40 Viper Rifle Scope Dead-Hold BDC Vortex 4-12x40 Viper Rifle Scope
Stock # - VPRM04BDC
  • Matte
  • Dead-Hold BDC
  • 1"
  • Side Focus
$399.95 
Add Vortex 4-12x40 Viper Rifle Scope to Cart
More Details »

Optional Accessories:
You may have also heard the saying "good glass trumps magnification"  If you can live with a 3x9 you will not be happier than this.
Zeiss 3-9x40 Conquest Rifle Scope Z-Plex Zeiss 3-9x40 Conquest Rifle Scope
Stock # - 5214609920
  • Matte
  • Z-Plex
  • 1"
  • Etched Glass
  • 2nd Plane
$399.95 
Add Zeiss 3-9x40 Conquest Rifle Scope to Cart
More Details »

Optional Accessories:

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
stork23raz View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/2010 at 10:33
Welcome
out of those 3 I would go with the Nikon. the ss16 is just not really what you need. leupolds are always good, but for the price I think the Nikon would have the better glass.
And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew 10:28
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/2010 at 15:24
Originally posted by 3_tens 3_tens wrote:

I have the Nikon 2.5-10x42 and is is very clear and sharp. 

My favorite of the "new" Monarchs.

Welcome to The OT!
Panther 51 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Panther 51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/2010 at 22:39
Thanks guys!!  That helps a lot.  Sleep
War Eagle
cowski View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2010 at 09:02
hey panther i just got  a conquest 3x9x40 for coyote hunting.to me its a little clearer than my 3x9x40 monarch. my monarch was much brighter than my old vari -x 111. conquests are on sell for 399 this year. good luck hitting them yotes.
never corner something meaner than you are jbc
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2010 at 11:49
Ya, the 3-9x Connie is a sweet scope and $$.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic