OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

ar-10

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2010 at 16:57
Yes.  http://www.aadmount.com/ .  And it's possible a distributor you know very well will pick them up in the not too distant future.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2010 at 17:50
Pyro is this going to be like that Cadillac that Johnny Cash sang about.   .....   One piece at at time....... 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2010 at 18:08
I went with DPMS and Mag Pul is now making mags for the DPMS guns which is a sign that they are quite popular.  The Rock River uses metric FN FAL mags. 

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2010 at 18:10
Wes,

You'd be surprised how much a newer pistol grip will help.  I shot these grips for years and, once i tried magpul, haven't looked back.  it's kinda like that first pair of good hiking boots you get after 5 years in your favorite jungle boots: whole other level of awesomeness.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2010 at 18:44
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

Pyro is this going to be like that Cadillac that Johnny Cash sang about.   .....   One piece at at time....... 

thats the guy who is building it
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2010 at 19:03
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

Wes,

You'd be surprised how much a newer pistol grip will help.  I shot these grips for years and, once i tried magpul, haven't looked back.  it's kinda like that first pair of good hiking boots you get after 5 years in your favorite jungle boots: whole other level of awesomeness.

I've been shy of that I bought a DPMS one supposed to fit but didnt and bent that small spring that goes up to pin the selector. There is a difference in the hole placement between the LR-10 and the AR-15.  I may try again eventually the rifle shoots very well I just dont like it much because it is so heavy and large even after cutting it back from 24 to 20 and fluteing the barrel.  I have magpul pistol grips on a AR-15 and like the grip so I may check for one for the LR-10.   I really tend to grab my Tikka 300 WSM and play wiith it since its so light and portable. It is hard to get too excited the range is under water right now - dam rain.  I think your right thoug about the grip I dont like the stock grip as well as one that is a bit larger.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2010 at 21:48
pistol grip on most ar either 10 and 15 is two thin as RC suggests, look for one that adds length to the web of the hand and moves the hand back allowing more control on the trigger. Magpul, Ergo, quite a few out there now. Also the stock is to short in most cases especially if the gun serves as a REPR (rapid engagement prescision rifle) both magpul and CAA offer good alternatives.
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2010 at 09:16
Originally posted by Jon A Jon A wrote:

Yes.  http://www.aadmount.com/ .  And it's possible a distributor you know very well will pick them up in the not too distant future.

Good job!  I like the 4 integral rails.  Overkill, maybe, but I like overkill, and it adds very little cost to mill them in the same setup as the underside of the mount.  I also like the radiused clamp engagement to the mount body.  A subtle touch, but a very good idea!

I'd be curious to know what cutter was used to mill the 90-deg included angle fixed claw behind the integral rails.  I see the rails are relieved for clearance there, but just looking at your solid model, it looks to me like there's very little clearance for a form cutter and still have some shank thickness above the head of the cutter.  I guess you could have broached or wire edm'ed it, but it looks milled in the pics.  If you'd rather not say, that's fine; just talking shop.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2010 at 10:09
It looks milled to me also. Maybe an indexing fixture with a small end mill.
Aluminum is not too hard on cutters and HSS works very well.
Very nice mount, BTW.

Doug

Edited by tahqua - June/17/2010 at 10:09
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2010 at 16:52
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

It looks milled to me also. Maybe an indexing fixture with a small end mill.
Aluminum is not too hard on cutters and HSS works very well.
Very nice mount, BTW.

Doug

I don't see how you'd have enough clearance by indexing the part and using a standard end mill because of the proximity of the lugs, but I'm only judging by how it looks in the pics.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2010 at 18:11
anybody see any reason why i couldnt put a ss6x on this when its done??
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2010 at 19:19
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

anybody see any reason why i couldnt put a ss6x on this when its done??
Sounds like a grand Idea to meExcellent
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2010 at 07:07
I have not really kept up with the AR's and variants... just never liked the looks that much and got spoiled by H&K.  I have been in the market for a semi-auto tactical .308 for a while, thought I had decided on FNH FNAR.  JonA's new scope mount kind of changed that.  I'm REALLY liking the way it dresses an AR-style.  I've found a pretty good deal on an AR-10.  AR guys, what's the scoop on AR-10 vs. DPMS vs. others?  I probably need to make a NEW decision in a couple of days.  Yea, I want it all, accuracy, dependability, looks, etc., etc. etc. 

On top of that, JonA, what would it take to get the aadmount in 26mm??  If I can't get one for my Kahles ZF84 scope, I'll probably just go with the FNAR. 
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2010 at 07:56
most of the first generation stuff is pretty much the same, the second generation stuff like LWRC has significant improvements, (piston, Fn-lar type charging hangle, longer support in upper and barrel mating, Giesselle (sp)triggers) but are also priced accordingly.  Most get into heavy pretty fast, and anything past 20" is unbalanced. A 6xss would work especially if hunting was the main use, but an SS 3x9 would offer more utility.
Yogi Bera

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2010 at 08:49
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

most of the first generation stuff is pretty much the same, the second generation stuff like LWRC has significant improvements, (piston, Fn-lar type charging hangle, longer support in upper and barrel mating, Giesselle (sp)triggers) but are also priced accordingly.  Most get into heavy pretty fast, and anything past 20" is unbalanced. A 6xss would work especially if hunting was the main use, but an SS 3x9 would offer more utility.
Dale,
Interesting... I saw two female soldiers carry LWRC's in the DFAC today with Leupold CQB Mark 4's.  We were in a hurry and the LTC would not let me stop and talk to them about them... well I could, but he said, "we're leaving, you can walk if you want"...   Only two .308's I've seen on Victory. 

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2010 at 09:08
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

I have not really kept up with the AR's and variants... just never liked the looks that much and got spoiled by H&K.  I have been in the market for a semi-auto tactical .308 for a while, thought I had decided on FNH FNAR.  JonA's new scope mount kind of changed that.  I'm REALLY liking the way it dresses an AR-style.  I've found a pretty good deal on an AR-10.  AR guys, what's the scoop on AR-10 vs. DPMS vs. others? 

The differences between the Armalite AR10 and DPMS platforms are:
- Contour on bottom of upper receiver is angled at the back on AR10 and rounded on DPMS so either won't mate to a lower from the other.
- Magazines for one don't work in the other.  
- I believe the barrel nut threads are different as well.

There may be other differences I'm not aware of.  Functionally and mechanically, there is no difference and many small parts are interchangeable.  The AR10 platform didn't benefit from the spec standardization that the AR15 platform did.
Ted

Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2010 at 10:53

the sames are more than the differences

none of the magazines are up to Galils, or ak47s
stocks and grips are a carry over from ar15, with no improvement in design features
charging handles are difficult with heavier springs and bolts used on the 308
barrel wt, length is hard to juggle for handling and performance
used to fill the gap between the .223 and heavier rd. for barrier penetration, (rather than using something like the 7.6x39 in a heavier built gun).
uses older stoner gas system instead of even older (and better) fnlar piston
Not sure the standard spec amoung the ar15 is a benefit. most of the improvements came from outside shooters, (competition) not military or leo, dating back to the 80's when IPSC shooters talked olympus into cutting of the carry handle and pinning on a weaver base.
Yogi Bera

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2010 at 11:23
Soooooo... Ted and Dale,  are you trying to talk me OUT of an AR-type?  The things you mention are reasons I kind of decided on the FNAR.  The FNAR Imay be the way for me to go still.  I've located one of  each AR-10 and DPMS .308 "built-up" at really good prices... under $2k, scoped with very good optics, trigger jobs, bipod, accurized, etc.  The scopes I probably wouldn't keep because I am going to put my ZF84 on whatever I get.  However, if JonA can't/won't build me a 26mm mount, that puts me back to the FNAR anyway.  Only reason for me to go back to an AR-style is I like the way it looks wearing the hardware...

Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2010 at 13:10
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

I'd be curious to know what cutter was used...

Heh, that's why my machinists get paid the big bucks.     Excellent     There's actually a decent amount of clearance there when you look at the part from an end view, I don't think they made a custom cutter for that portion but I don't remember for sure.   It was no problem after I cut the ends of the recoil lugs off giving them clearance--before that it was a problem area.
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

On top of that, JonA, what would it take to get the aadmount in 26mm??  If I can't get one for my Kahles ZF84 scope, I'll probably just go with the FNAR. 

Unfortunately it would be much too expensive to be practical, sorry.  Your best bet would be to wait until I make a 1" (might be a long time/never) and lap it up to 26mm.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2010 at 13:31
Well, that kind of kills the utility of an AR for me.  Too bad, I really like aadmount's looks.  I agree that a 1" is probably not a good business decision and 26mm is a dying breed. 
I truly wish you well with it.  Can't think of anything I like better than Americans making good American products...  Success to you.

There IS a solution to this though... what if I bought an FNAR AND an AR???...  
Thinking of my wife, I'm reminded of the Dirty Harry line.. "...welll, DO ya... PUNK??"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
  Share Topic