OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

nikon monarch 6x24x50

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parkj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: nikon monarch 6x24x50
    Posted: June/14/2010 at 14:50
ok guys im looking at getting a 6x24x50mm monarch off the sample list .is this a good scope? i will be hunting and mostly shooting paper to around 100-300 yards maybe longer. its going a savage 112 bvss 300 winn mag. thanks guys.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2010 at 16:16
My dealings with the monachs have been well.  I would have kept them but my shooting is mostly target and they lack the internal adjustment i needed.  thats the only faught i have with nikon in general.  For anything under 500yds they are fine though.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2010 at 16:50
Personal prefere3nce, I know, but 6-24 is WAY too much magnification for 100-300 yard shots.  If someone made a 24X that looked like a nice 12X looks, I;d buy them for every gun.  The reality is 24X sucks to get behind and sucks to shoot in many cases, the FOV is very small and they tend to be very critical of eye position behind the scope.

I would consider less magnification but, again, that's just me.

There are good deals to be found on the Sample List!
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Teddy Bear View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teddy Bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2010 at 17:39
I have the same scope on an a-bolt 223wssm that I got for varmint hunting.  It has very nice glass,over 20x it does get a little cloudy but is still quite usable.  I don't know what you are hunting but even at 6x if a deer came out under 100yds you may have trouble getting it into view quick enough.  I'm only guessing since you said its going on a 300wm that its for big game but in my opinion a nice 3-9 would be more than adequate for the range your speaking of.
parkj5 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parkj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2010 at 17:47
thanks guys just trying to deside im also looking at the 4x16x50mm.i am deer hunting mainly but trying to ease my way into long range shooting.im kinda new to long range stuff(past 300 yards ) but learning slowly.
Teddy Bear View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teddy Bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2010 at 18:30
Originally posted by parkj5 parkj5 wrote:

thanks guys just trying to deside im also looking at the 4x16x50mm.i am deer hunting mainly but trying to ease my way into long range shooting.im kinda new to long range stuff(past 300 yards ) but learning slowly.

Don't get me wrong, I haven't done any low light testing with my monarch yet but if it does well I may try that rifle on deer too just for s***s but its not my go to deer rifle.  It sounds like your into the monarchs, a 2.5-10x42 would make a great deer rifle scope with a large FOV for the shots around 100yds but enough magnification to get you out to 400yds if needed all for under $400.  If most of your shots are between 100-300yds than you wouldn't be overpowered and pulling up on that deer should be relatively simple.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2010 at 18:42
Don't get carried away thinking you need a uber powerful scope to shoot longer distances.  A little extra magnification is only 1 single factor in shooting long range and in reality is probably one of the least important factors.  Specialized scopes are required for long range shooting. 

If you want a great scope for deer hunting, but that would also have all the specialized parts that could be used for longer range shooting, look at the SWFA SS 3-9x.    http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-3-9x42-Tactical-Riflescope-P41044.aspx
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
jleinum09 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jleinum09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2010 at 01:39
parkj5, a 24 power scope in my opinion is way overkill.  Even if you are shooting over 400 yards, the 2.5-10x 50 monarch would suit you just fine.  Especially with the BDC reticle.  It helps you judge where to put your shot placement when you have hold-over at longer ranges. My advice, 10x magnification would be best 12x tops.  it will also give you better clarity when you are at your peak magnification and will be brighter in low light conditions. 
One Shot, One Kill
JagerDog View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JagerDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2010 at 20:06
IMO, you want to be able to wind down to something less than 5X even in open country western hunting.  3x9 is of course the classic.  I really like 4x12.  It gives me higher power to help count points, etc.  
300 ultramag View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300 ultramag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2010 at 18:05
4x12 is all u need or 4.5x14
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2010 at 22:30
Try looking at the new Minox Z5  3-15x42.Glass is German Schott,with a bigger magnification then the Conquest!
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2010 at 18:46
PS: They also make a Z5 4-20x50
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2010 at 21:24
I also think the classic 3-9/4-12 power range is perfect for almost all big game hunting.  What I really like about the 3-9 is that it is the most popular, making it the most competitive, providing you the consumer the biggest bang for the buck.  The $350-$500 range really offers some fantastic optics in this power.

To tell the truth I have owned scopes with an upper end of 16x, I have since replaced those scopes and don't currently own any scopes with more than 12x.  Sincerely I can't recall ever shooting at game with any scope adjusted over 10x.  At the same time 16x is nice at the bench, but isn't very applicable in 90% of field situations.

Edited by lucytuma - June/25/2010 at 21:30
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic