OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Crooked?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote txcycleguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crooked?
    Posted: June/13/2010 at 02:56
I mounted a Mark 4 on a Rem 700 with Warne picatinny rings and mount. When I shoulder it, it seems that the vertical axis is just a little off.  It was put on with a professional leveling mounting tool and I rechecked it using my own vice and a quality 4' level.  Any other reason it appears to be a little off?
Sgt. D View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2010 at 08:28

I hope I understand what you mean by "vertical axis"  otherwise my comment will be useless.

Unless you have a borescope with the visible grid you will have to loosen the rings enough to rotate the scope left or right. Then while sholdering the rifle as if ready to fire rotate  the scope until it looks or feels right for you. Sometimes even while useing a borescope grid some people feel the scope is off axis. Some just hold a rifle alittle different and have to adjust to suit themselves. If this isn't what you meant please simplify your question so my simple mind can understand.

Welcome to the OT.
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2010 at 08:50
Guns only have 2 enemies, rust and politicians
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2010 at 13:19
It also pretty average for somebody to have to have a natural "cant" to their position. Since you have a rail, if you slide feeler gauges between the turret box and the picatinney rail, if the scope is mounted correctly, it will be the same all the way across the bottom. If not, one side will be higher than the other.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2010 at 13:21
Originally posted by billyburl2 billyburl2 wrote:

It also pretty average for somebody to have to have a natural "cant" to their position. Since you have a rail, if you slide feeler gauges between the turret box and the picatinney rail, if the scope is mounted correctly, it will be the same all the way across the bottom. If not, one side will be higher than the other.

dude get out of my head!! have you ever seen david tubbs rifle, he cants so bad it looks like he is shooting this rifle gangsta style.

They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2010 at 13:25
Well if great minds think alike, then our slightly twisted ones are probably pretty close,too!Bucky
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2010 at 14:15
If you talking about the mk4 leos, some have been reported with reticles not "in line with the turrets" and this also could be a problem.
Hustler2Bravo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hustler2Bravo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2010 at 14:35
I Hope not, I just ordered a M4.  If so I'll use the warranty until they send me a good one. 
Invisible Souls Leave 308 Holes
txcycleguy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote txcycleguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2010 at 14:47
Thanks guys!  I think I'm going to take it out to the range and put some shots on paper.  Anyone have comments on the method of making a 3 shot group then cranking it up 10-15MOA on the same target and seeing if the 2 groups are still grouping on the same vertical axis?
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2010 at 18:41
Just do a google search for ......."Leupold canted reticle"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic