OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Your choice of 3-9x40 under $300

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Judsmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your choice of 3-9x40 under $300
    Posted: June/12/2010 at 17:45
In your opinion how would you rate the following scopes considering two seperate caterigories, by best glass and then by best value.  I'm upgrading from a 25 year old Tasco and plan on using for deer hunting on a 7mm-08.  Please fill free to add to list keeping in mind under $300

Vortex Diamondback 3-9x40          $189
Simmons Aetec Master 2.8-10x44  $199
Pentax Whitetail unlimited 3-9x40 $209
Sightron SII (not Big Sky) 3-9x42   $259
Weaver Grandslam 3-10x40           $284
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2010 at 17:49
you certainly missed a good one, its exactly $300 though, otherwise the diamondback is a great scope.
http://swfa.com/Bushnell-3-9x40-Elite-4200-Rifle-Scope-P6910.aspx
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Judsmith View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Judsmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2010 at 18:37
pyro6999

Are you saying the Bushnell Elite 4200 is better than the Sightron SII and Weaver Grandslam or how would you rank the 3?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2010 at 18:40
its better than the sightron, if we arent talking about the big sky. i have no experience with the weaver so i cant elaborate there. ive got a 4200 and in my eyes its the best scope under $300 you can buy today.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
1911man View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1911man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2010 at 06:26
The Bushnell 4200 Elite and the Nikon Primos are the two best scopes for the money in this price range. I would even prefer a Bushnell 3200 series over most the scopes listed.
Bill Wilson
www.wilsoncombat.com
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2010 at 10:34
Originally posted by 1911man 1911man wrote:

The Bushnell 4200 Elite and the Nikon Primos are the two best scopes for the money in this price range. I would even prefer a Bushnell 3200 series over most the scopes listed.
+1
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2010 at 15:47
I would go with the 4200 or the Primos as well.  Good scopes. I have the 4200 and really like it.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2010 at 16:33
+1 for the 4200,it also has rainguard a big + when hunting!
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Judsmith View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Judsmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2010 at 21:09
Alright I think you guys may have me reconsidering and going with the Bushnell elite 4200 or the Weaver Grandslam.  So with that being said I have not been able to find any comparsions between the two.  I tell you I would like to see some comparsions like Koshkin did with Inexpensive Scope Comparsion, comparing the glass and the functionality and not favoritism of a brand (Would like to see some good solid facts). 
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2010 at 21:31
from previous post :

I was lucky enough to receive a Zeiss 3x9x40 Conquest to Test Drive. So I set about to repeat the format I used when I reviewed the Vortex Diamondback ( I skipped the - 2 through + 2 ratings , as these scopes were just to close in performance to use that ) . So-here we go:

Initial impression ...I like the reticle . It doesn't "go silver'ish " on you in bright sunlight. It seems to be just about perfect in size and clarity. The scope feels substantial, and is a good looking piece. The plastic turret caps and windage/elevation adjustment rings caught me off guard ( seemed too cheap for this price point - heck even $50 scopes have aluminum caps ). They may prove durable, but call me old fashioned, I want metal. I mounted it on my good old H&R 30-30 , and no issues at all. It boxed out spot on , and is bright , + easy to use .

The contestants:
Using the Zeiss Conquest as a baseline --it's images were bright, the reticle stayed crisp and clear in all light variances, and has a forgiving ,  constant eye relief. It seems worthy of its excellent reputation.

Leupold 2.5-8 ( on a Encore ) Vari-XIII -- held its own , it has Leupold standard reticle which could be a bit thicker , not quite as bright as the Zeiss, but inline with the Browning, Weaver, and Pentax, Only a 36 mm objective which could affect it also... crisp images and excellent color resolution.. It's on a kicker ( 50 cal Blackpowder ) , and has lived up to its durable reputation.

Pentax 3x9x40 Whitetails Unlimited ( on a Rem 700 308)- Wow- the twilight plex reticle is the thickest and boldest of the bunch ..I like it.. really jumps out at you , but not the first choice for varmints.. almost as bright as the Zeiss, pretty close  and certainly in line with the Grand Slam , Browning , and Vari-XIII.... certainly bright enough though, with crisp images

Bushnell Elite 4200 3x9x40-  Crisp images , great color resolution, Rainguard , you just gotta like these.. Sorry Zeiss fans- I couldn't see any difference in clarity and brightness at all times of the day from dawn to dusk.. I will give the nod to the Conquest though on the reticle , as the 4200 could use a pinch thicker posts and did seem just a touch"silver'ish" in direct bright sunlight as the sun started to set  behind images being viewed.

Swarovski 3-10 American ( on 300 Wby Mark V )- well, this one edged the others out and so it should considering it's cost. I have to admit though, it wasn't a knock out punch. My son agreed ( so it wasn't necessarily my 43 yr old eyes) . It was a bit brighter and crisp optically, & very well made and a handsome scope, but worth 2 to 3 times as much as the others? --well- that's up to you ..Mine was my 40 yr old birthday gift , and I love it,,but if my $, the jury is still out  -- maybe ....

Weaver Grand Slam 3x10x40 -- nice scope, feels rugged ..optically in  line with the Pentax , Browning and Leupold ( call it a draw optically with these 4 ). the reticle is a great size. All those I know who have  one -like'em . Mine is still waiting for me to step up and find it a home. Just the tiniest behind the Monarch,4200 and Conquest, but not really noticeable until the very last-last minute of the day ( I know -that's when you need it , but it wasn't drastic) .

Nikon Monarch 3x9x40 ( on a Wby 30/06 Vanguard ) ,, looking through this and going back and forth with the 4200, I thought  was virtually a tie. In fact, I couldn't tell them apart. On these two , I would the give the nod to the 4200's Rainguard. Plus, I have dealt with Nikon's CS and it  was horrible!

Browning 3x9x40 Sports Optic ( on Rem 7400 243 ) -- this one I picked up for the mid $100's range new ..Gotta admit- great value. It is made by Bushnell ( recently discontinued- although a few out there) , and seems to fall right between the 3200 and 4200, but without the Rainguard. I like it. Optically it  falls right in line with the Grand Slam, Vari XIII and the Pentax. The reticle could be a bit bolder. I am not a fan of the gold circle on the scope caps, and it's not the best looking scope body with the ridge on the objective bell, but nevertheless entirely functional.

So there you have it ,, It's a fine scope overall ....but worth $200 more than the Nikon Monarch and 4200...It does have a bolder reticle and 4" eye relief ( but I haven't been boinged by my any of my 4200's yet either on kickers like 300 wby's and a 300 RUM -so kinda mute) , I will give it that , but in my humble opinion--Naah . It may be for you though---your call.    Big%20Smile  

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2010 at 21:34
i had mine on my .375H&H last year and i too never got smacked, and it totally ate up the recoil. rainguard alone in my eyes is worth $200, without any other part of the scope attached. 
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
1911man View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1911man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2010 at 22:14
Haven't seen one of the new Weavers, thought they were made in PRC?????
Bill Wilson
www.wilsoncombat.com
Judsmith View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Judsmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2010 at 22:14
Martin,
Awesome review and thanks for sharing.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic