OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Question for you guys with the Crossfires

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowr1der Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question for you guys with the Crossfires
    Posted: June/12/2010 at 10:22
So this is for you guys with the Vortex Crossfires. Do they track reliably? I'm thinking of purchasing one for a rifle until the SS scopes come out with a higher powered variable power one. Does this thing pass a box test? Also what about holding zero? Are they pretty good about holding zero?
slowr1der View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowr1der Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2010 at 10:28
Also at what power do the mil dots work? I'm trying to decide if I want to get this thing to use to hold me over or not. I'd put it on something else if I got a new SS scope whenever they came out. So I want it to last. I've read some good reviews, but also a few bad ones.
Right now I have a cheap Simmons 3x9 on the rifle. It's actually fairly clear for the price and does hold zero well. I just like the mil dots on this one, and the higher power. I'm trying to decide if I should order this thing or just keep using my Simmons that works.
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2010 at 11:14

If the Simmons is working for you, keep using it. I bought 2 of the Crossfires and don't regret it at all, but if you have something that does work for you and want the SS, use what you have and keep saving. 

One of the Crossfires is mounted on a .22 mag. The other will go on a .204 ruger at some point. It's a good scope for paper punching, but the field of view is too small to hunt with it. 

If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
slowr1der View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowr1der Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2010 at 23:02
Yeah the Simmons works for me and I do hunt with it. I just have been doing a lot of paper punching with it lately too, so I want something with more magnification and better turrets. I may just keep holding out on the SS though.
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2010 at 00:10

Good plan. 

I doubt you'd be able to hunt with the Crossfire. It'd be great for paper punching on a sunny day, but trying to hunt with one would frustrate me. Just my .02  

If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
sideforce View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sideforce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2010 at 01:18
My Crossfire arrive this last week and is mounted on the rifle.  It feels solid, looks great, has great clarity throughout the powers and the turrets feel solid.

I'll be sighting it in and testing the scope this next Saturday, June 19th.  I'll post the results here.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic