OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

1500yd scope

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2010 at 16:40
Originally posted by topbrass topbrass wrote:

My AR-15 service rifle will shoot accuately beyond 1000 yds and it only cost $700(initially) and the ammo is cheaper than store bought. 

Shooting beyond 1000yds and hitting a moose size target is not that specialized.  Shooting 8" groups past 1000 yds is however. 

BS Flag

BS Flag

BS Flag

BS Flag

BS Flag
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2010 at 16:43
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

My AR-15 service rifle will shoot accuately beyond 1000 yds and it only cost $700(initially) and the ammo is cheaper than store bought. 

Shooting beyond 1000yds and hitting a moose size target is not that specialized.  Shooting 8" groups past 1000 yds is however. 

BS Flag

BS Flag

BS Flag

BS Flag

BS Flag

+1. On a major scale.  
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

"Issac Newton invented gravity because some asshole hit him with an apple"
-Chris Moltisanti
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2010 at 16:45
I've shot well past 1K, but never needed a scope to hit my target!   No need for a scope on a five inch fifty four.   LOL!
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2010 at 17:14
And yes, I've shot at 1,000 and beyond, but it was far more difficult for me than it seems to be to all the marksmen I find on the internet.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2010 at 17:17
10 football fields is a long ways out there. i dont know that i could even hit a 4x8 sheet of ply wood from that far away. 500 is plenty far for me.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
topbrass View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topbrass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2010 at 18:09

And yes, I've shot at 1,000 and beyond, but it was far more difficult for me than it seems to be to all the marksmen I find on the internet.

No doubt.Big Grin
topbrass View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topbrass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2010 at 18:23

BS Flag

BS Flag

BS Flag

BS Flag

BS Flag
RC, you are welcome to join me at Whittington Center on the 1000yd range and shoot my service rifle with a scope attached.  I can teach you how to hit the target at 1000yds.  I will be there for the CR Silhouette Nationals August 2-5.  You might enjoy it!
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2010 at 18:26
What are the specs on your AR?

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

-Chris Moltisanti
topbrass View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topbrass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2010 at 18:44
Typical CMP Service Rifle, looks like a regular M-16 A2 rifle.   But with a few modifications, Wilson air gauged 1:8 barrel, free floating handguard, two stage match trigger, 3lb weight in the butt, 1/4 MOA rear sight, squared front sight, same as all competition service rifles.  Slap a scope on it and shoot 80gr SMK's and its good to 1000yds and beyond.
Monster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2010 at 19:57
From what i gather just throwing an SMK will do 1000 yards..... Peeker
"Get Busy Livin' or get busy dyin'" -Red (Shawshank Redemption)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2010 at 20:22
That a well-made service rifle with a 1:8 barrel can throw 80-gr SMKs accurately at a target 1000 yards away has never been questioned (by me.)  That a guy who strolled into Optics Talk, smitten with the merits of a CounterSniper optic can do it, more suspect.  That a "service rifle" costing $700 can do it with cheapo ammo, even more suspect.  Yea, you clarified the custom barrel and probably will say hand loads; you seem the kinda guy to spin everything.

I've seen an AR do 1000 yards with little problem, and I've seen MANY more idiots online claim 5 mile kills and 1500 yard shots at coke cans than I care to recall.  Claiming it and doing it, two very different things.

I'm sure you are a legend in your own mind, carry on.
topbrass View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topbrass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2010 at 20:33

RC, I see you havent lost your touch at mischaracterizing anything you can grab.  Sorry but I will not be dragged down to your level again.  This is my last post on your nickle.  Carry on.    

shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2010 at 20:35

That a well-made service rifle with a 1:8 barrel can throw 80-gr SMKs accurately at a target 1000 yards away has never been questioned (by me.)  That a guy who strolled into Optics Talk, smitten with the merits of a CounterSniper optic can do it, more suspect.  That a "service rifle" costing $700 can do it with cheapo ammo, even more suspect.  Yea, you clarified the custom barrel and probably will say hand loads; you seem the kinda guy to spin everything.

I've seen an AR do 1000 yards with little problem, and I've seen MANY more idiots online claim 5 mile kills and 1500 yard shots at coke cans than I care to recall.  Claiming it and doing it, two very different things.

It's like muscle bound idiots at the bar on liquid courage. The internet is full of outlandish banter.

People don't realize that 1500 yards in just 200+ yards shy of a mile. I've watched elite rifleman with great equipment struggle to get dialed in. Shooting at that distance brings into to so many unpredictable environmental factors. You have temperature, pressures, up and cross winds and winds that flow in multiple directions along the bullet path. Shooting uphill/downhill etc along with others....

I've never shot this far myself but it's not a walk in the park and plenty of people would agree with me (those with the experience)
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

-Chris Moltisanti
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2010 at 20:48

RC, since I stumbled onto this thread: with ARs you have seen do 1000 yards, were they still supersonic?  what kind of precision were they getting?

I am not much of a long range guy so far, but I would imaging that unless it is in pretty thin air, even an 80gr bullet will go subsonic at about 900-950 yards or thereabouts.

ILya

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2010 at 20:59
If I recall, out the barrel at about 2900FPS, it is still supersonic at 1,000 yards.

Lots of long range guys in service rifle shoots run the 80 and 90-gr SMK, they buck the wind much better.  Precision and accuracy can be quite good if the rifle likes the load and the shooter does his part.  Most long range non-service rifle has moved to 6BR or 30-cal, easier to send them down range much faster than service rifle, and more weight equals less wind drift.

I'm not an AR-at-1000-yards guy, but I know guys that shoot service rifle and they can do mighty impressive things with a black rifle at long range.
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2010 at 21:08
I have shot (i live 15 minutes away from Camp Perry) the 600 and 1000 .223 rem using 80 82 83 87 and 90 from copper to alloy solids.  It is challenging but doable I have with little competent instruction assisted a few friends in joining me and they all seem to be capable of acheiving a 30-48" group within 2 or 3 trips usually 2-3 fliers out or off of the group...

The tightest I have shot in a 20 shot string is a little around a foot and a half standing being strapped in with a jacket sized for someone else... sitting i have shot 12" 18 shot and 2 deviated about 4"-8" down and right (hint)...by the way the group was outside the 18" bull mostly 2 or 3 wandered in...

I simply do not think that it is outside someone to get the right setup and find someone who is well experienced to teach them and who is willing to learn and listen...
This however requires a few bucks as the ammo is pricey loaded and the components are also pricey even for a reloader, usually Berger, Lapua Custom, or custom man...

Reloading is at its best for this type of cartridge with this special purpose...VV all the way...
Besides Subsonic or .338LM it is by far my one of my best or most fun or even favorite...

Edited by 338LAPUASLAP - June/22/2010 at 21:16
No one
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2010 at 21:16
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

10 football fields is a long ways out there. i dont know that i could even hit a 4x8 sheet of ply wood from that far away. 500 is plenty far for me.
haven't been around very many football fields , but have alot of 1000 yd shooting, thanks for a new perspective for football fields. (a long handgun shot)

Edited by Dale Clifford - June/22/2010 at 21:17
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2010 at 21:18
would that be 10 or 20 goal posts?
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2010 at 21:41

If I recall, out the barrel at about 2900FPS, it is still supersonic at 1,000 yards.

Lots of long range guys in service rifle shoots run the 80 and 90-gr SMK, they buck the wind much better.  Precision and accuracy can be quite good if the rifle likes the load and the shooter does his part.  Most long range non-service rifle has moved to 6BR or 30-cal, easier to send them down range much faster than service rifle, and more weight equals less wind drift.

I'm not an AR-at-1000-yards guy, but I know guys that shoot service rifle and they can do mighty impressive things with a black rifle at long range.

2900fps is pretty hot for an 80gr bullet.  I think Black Hills 77gr is ~2750fps out of a 20 inch barrel.  They must be willing to put up with quite a bit of pressure.

The fastest factory 223 ammo I have seen is Buffalo Bore's crazy 77gr that comes out at about 2850fps out of a 20 inch barrel.

I have not really been using my AR for longer range shooting due to a fair amount of wind at my shooting range most of the time. Perhaps, I will give it a shot.

338LapuaSlap, thanks for chiming in.

ILya

ILya
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2010 at 21:58
for .223 and chambers keep around 50-52k vs for .223 wylde or true 5.56 chambers 60-62k pressures the RRA's 223 wylde can push 60 with ease... case capacity becomes the issue with the thicker side wall or case wall... so 2800+-2950 is obtainable but is pushing limits and should be done with caution and should be worked up to cautiously under the right tempreatures and pressures...  
this is meant for 20" not your standard 16" while possible with the 1:7 it does not acheive the velocity necessary for that distance...
.223 Rem Case Weight vs. Capacity
Case Manufacturer Case Weight* H20 Capacity**
Lake City 06 92.0 30.6
WCC99 95.5 30.5
Sellier & Belloit 92.3 30.5
Remington 92.3 30.4
PMC 93.5 30.4
Hirtenberger 93.7 30.4
Lake City 04 93.0 30.4
Federal 96.3 30.2
Hornady 93.9 30.1
IMG (Guatemalan) 95.4 30.1