OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

1500yd scope

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicetry7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1500yd scope
    Posted: June/10/2010 at 22:43
Hey Guys,
     sorry for the ignorant question but Im looking at getting a scope that will last forever and will fulfill everything I need it to do out to 1500+ yards. I am strongly leaning towards the Nightforce 5.5-22 x 56 NXS with Mil-dot. Any body have any reviews of these or experiences good or bad? Also, is there any other scope along these lines and quality for closer to $1000, or should I just wait and save up for this one?

Thanks For any help

3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2010 at 01:48
Just realize the scope does nothing but sit atop the rifle. There has never been a scope that has lasted forever. Forever has not arrived. You have to do every thing you need to to do to be at that range. Wink Now for a good scope the NF will be as good as anything else until you get up to the S&B range in quality, but that is twice the price or more.
Welcome to the OT.
Its late Early and I just had to take a crack at that one. Excuse me.Whacko
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Nicetry7 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicetry7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2010 at 01:51
Ah thanks. Any suggestions on which model/magnification?
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2010 at 07:40

I wouldn't count out the SS10xHD

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2010 at 07:53
What rifle do you have set up for 1500 Yds that you are placing this scope on?
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Sgt. D View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2010 at 10:39
Your budget will get you into some scopes that are durable and have good enough glass to do fair on such ranges. What ever you get needs to have a 30mm tube (atleast) to give you the elevation adjustment required. Reguardless of your experience in shooting these longer distances, the scope you use has to fit the task. Here are some scopes to consider that are in reach considering your stated budget. Keep us informed on your choices and some here can give you hands on experience with these scopes. Not all may agree but, I tend to want to go some beyond what the goal requires rather than just able to meet it.
Welcome to the OT and good luck with your project.

P.S. the Leupolds are probably on the light duty end of this list but if not abused will give you what you want.

Edited by Sgt. D - June/11/2010 at 10:40
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2010 at 10:51
I would not recommend a hunting scope for the type of shooting you are wanting to do.  You need one with adjustable turrets and a lot of elevation and windage.  I would go with the NIghtforce you have listed.  It is very capable of doing what you want and it probably the best choice in its price range.

If you want one now while you are saving up for the Nightforce, get a Super SNiper 16x fixed scope from SWFA.  THey are only $300 and will do what you need no problem until you get your money saved up.  I have a friend that uses that same Super Sniper on a Barrett semi auto .50 and he just loves it. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2010 at 14:18
Originally posted by Nicetry7 Nicetry7 wrote:

Hey Guys,
     sorry for the ignorant question but Im looking at getting a scope that will last forever and will fulfill everything I need it to do out to 1500+ yards. I am strongly leaning towards the Nightforce 5.5-22 x 56 NXS with Mil-dot. Any body have any reviews of these or experiences good or bad? Also, is there any other scope along these lines and quality for closer to $1000, or should I just wait and save up for this one?

The Nightforce is a good choice, but there are lots of others that can get it done too.  I've done it with an IOR 4-14 and a Premier 3-15.  And I'll be doing it again soon with a Viper PST 4-16.  While I'd prefer more magnification for those shots, it's my hunting rifle which I also use in the thick brush so the scope needs a good low end.

The things needed are mainly decent magnification, decent glass, and reliable tracking with quite a bit of travel.  The degree of each you need or will want depends on some factors.

What will you be shooting?  If rock chucks and p-dogs, you need more magnification and better glass.  It's time to stick a crowbar in the old pocketbook if you want an enjoyable experience.  Shooting steel plates (especially painted white) and you can get away with much less power and cheaper glass.

How much travel you'll need obviously depends upon what round you're shooting.  You should be able to figure that out.  Remember it's better to have too much than barely enough or too little.

If you can answer some of those we can narrow down the field a bit.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2010 at 20:20

Troll

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - June/22/2010 at 15:53

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Ernie Bishop View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2010 at 21:55
When I have shot beyond 1500 yards out to over 2000 yards I have used these optics:
8-32 NXS, 8.5-25 Leupold Mark 4, and a Leupold VX-3 8.5-25
Ernie

"If you think you are perfect, just try walking on water."
Hustler2Bravo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hustler2Bravo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2010 at 15:02
I agree with Ernie, you can't go wrong with a Leo. Mark 4 Tactical.  You can get the 4.5-14x50 30mm for rite above 1000$.  I've got one and  couldn't be more confident in a scope.  If I miss it's my fault no matter what the yardage.  You have to practice with them, know how to use the mildot reticle and the tagret knobs and you will hit your target everytime.
Invisible Souls Leave 308 Holes
flashpoint View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flashpoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/2010 at 05:22

I see your wanted price. The Nightforce NXS is very good but over 1000$

You have the same quality optics in other model: Nightforce Benchrest 12-42X 56 and very importan ,I recomend you the NPR2 reticle for long range.

I imagine you are using a 338 lapua magnum ammo to reach 1500 yards. My be a Blaser?
yeah
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/2010 at 19:38
Why do I tend to think this guy is pulling our chain?

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2010 at 08:42
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

Why do I tend to think this guy is pulling our chain?
Because your jaded.........................like meBig Grin
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
casd View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote casd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2010 at 15:06
I have a NF 5.5-22 with mil-bar reticle and it is great for the distances I shoot. I also have a 8-32 but i would say that it is too much magnification in most situations, especially if your targets are moving, but goos luck hitting a moving target at 1500 yards Big Grin 
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2010 at 15:37
Originally posted by Hustler2Bravo Hustler2Bravo wrote:

I agree with Ernie, you can't go wrong with a Leo. Mark 4 Tactical.  You can get the 4.5-14x50 30mm for rite above 1000$.  I've got one and  couldn't be more confident in a scope.  If I miss it's my fault no matter what the yardage.  You have to practice with them, know how to use the mildot reticle and the tagret knobs and you will hit your target everytime.

I would heartily disagree with that.

And hitting the target every time at 1500 yards; I'd say that fits quite nicely under the "you've never shot 1500 yards" heading.

If the budget is $1,000, I'd save for awhile.

I've owned/used several Nightforce, they are far more reliable than current Leupolds, and have better glass too.

I'd recommend MANY other options before Leupold. (Unless you get their discounted price, there is always a better deal.)
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2010 at 15:51
Originally posted by Nicetry7 Nicetry7 wrote:

Hey Guys,
     .........a scope that will last forever and will fulfill everything I need it to do out to 1500+ yards. ...

Post #2  

no further response asking questions

HMMMMM No No

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2010 at 16:03
Has anyone here ever shot above 1000 yards?

First off to build a rifle capable of shooting those crazy distances and pay for the ammo you are either well off, or live with your parents and don't pay a mortgage or rent.

It's not practical for 99% of us out there to shoot anything in the 1500 yard range.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

"Issac Newton invented gravity because some asshole hit him with an apple"
-Chris Moltisanti
topbrass View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topbrass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2010 at 16:18
My AR-15 service rifle will shoot accuately beyond 1000 yds and it only cost $700(initially) and the ammo is cheaper than store bought. 

Shooting beyond 1000yds and hitting a moose size target is not that specialized.  Shooting 8" groups past 1000 yds is however. 
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2010 at 16:38
Originally posted by shooter07 shooter07 wrote:

Has anyone here ever shot above 1000 yards?

Yes.  Lots.  It's not as uncommon as you may think.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic