OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for Browning X-Bolt Hunter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heerenb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for Browning X-Bolt Hunter
    Posted: June/10/2010 at 11:02
Looking for a good scope for a X-bolt Hunter .30 06. Hunting Whitetail, average shot <100 but would like to keep options open for shots up to 300 (not that far). Looked at a leupold VX II 3.5-10 x 40, Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40 and Bushnell Elite 4200 3-9x40. Any suggestions?
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2010 at 11:19
Of the three you listed the Bushnell takes a slight advantage because of the rainguard feature.  it can make or break a hunt to have a blurry sight picture.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
heerenb View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heerenb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2010 at 13:18
Any thoughts on other scopes in that price range?
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2010 at 13:26

Vortex Viper is a great scope with decent glass.   And i beleive there is a Zeiss 3x9 on the samplelist that would be a steal.

http://www.samplelist.com/-P913.aspx

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2010 at 13:27
 If you meant VX-III 3.5-10x40 in your op then this one is in your price range:
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
heerenb View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heerenb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2010 at 14:42

I'd say my max price would be around 400. I have also looked at the nikon monarch 2.5-10 x 40, any thoughts?. I did like the specs on the Vortex but am not familar with their products.

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2010 at 15:05
  If you can do the $400 I'd say go for the Conquest.

That being said I just got rid of a VX-III to get a Vortex Viper.  The Vortex solved the issues I had with the VX-III and was $100+ cheaper.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2010 at 16:12
I agree with Earl.  If you are willing to part with $400, no question, I would get the Zeiss Conquest 3-9X40.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2010 at 16:21
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
heerenb View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heerenb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2010 at 09:03
Anyone know the % light transmission of the Zeiss conquest 3-9x40?
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2010 at 09:55
 This all I could find right off:
   - Carl Zeiss "MC" multi-coating on all glass-to-air surfaces for maximum transmission (markedly above 90 %), color fidelity and brilliance

I will tell you that my 4X Conquest is the BRIGHTEST scope I've got.
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2010 at 11:24
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

My Sightron Big Sky is a whisker better in low light than my Conquest, but the Conquest is much better all- around. I have several scopes in the Conquest class/price range and the Zeiss is the best of the bunch.
I don't own a Viper, but sure was impressed with the 3-9x40 with BDC that I've looked through. I did a side- by- side between a Viper and a 4200 and liked the Viper's view best.
If Vipers are as tough as all the reviews attest, then they are a fine scope.
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2010 at 11:34
 Yea,I've heard good things about those Big Sky scopes.  I had two (SI and SII).  Good scopes.

I recently got a 2-7x32 Viper w/C3 reticle for my 9.3x62.  It's mounted but not been shot yet.  I'm impressed so far and I'm really getting to like the reticle.  Of course it's not as bright as my 4X Conquest  but it's of a different configuration so I wasn't expecting it to be.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2010 at 16:34
Originally posted by Alan Robertson Alan Robertson wrote:

Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

My Sightron Big Sky is a whisker better in low light than my Conquest, but the Conquest is much better all- around. I have several scopes in the Conquest class/price range and the Zeiss is the best of the bunch.
I don't own a Viper, but sure was impressed with the 3-9x40 with BDC that I've looked through. I did a side- by- side between a Viper and a 4200 and liked the Viper's view best.
If Vipers are as tough as all the reviews attest, then they are a fine scope.

while i havent put a ton of rounds down range with mine, it has so far survived a couple of boxes of .375H&H ammo. which with a rifle in that caliber should be enough recoil to know if it can handle it or not.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
heerenb View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heerenb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2010 at 16:01
Thanks everyone for the input. Went and checked out a few and without exception the conqeust was the select choice.
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2010 at 16:22
+1 for the conquest,it's holding up fine on my .460s&w mag t/c.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
stork23raz View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2010 at 16:40
+1 conquest. great glass for the money.

And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew 10:28
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic