OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Clear scopes out past 1000yrds

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote claysman73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clear scopes out past 1000yrds
    Posted: June/09/2010 at 20:49
I'm looking for the best scope for the money to put on my .338 Edge I will be hunting mainly at long yardages and at this point I can't afford a Nigh Force or comparable scope. I don't want the gun to sit in the safe until I can afford that kind of a scope. I know that there has to be a scope out there that is as good for allot less money. For me right now the Cheaper the better because I'm out of work right now. I know everybody says you get what you pay for but 2k for a scope is killing me.
Saiga .308 with a real barrel and a .338Edge so I can reach out and touch things
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2010 at 21:04
Personally I think the animals you will be hunting deserve to have the gun sit in the safe until you can afford a scope that's up to the challenge. All the rifle in the world won't do you any good if you don't put a quality optic on it with solid repeatable tracking. If you can reach to Nightforce territory, they would be up to the task, but I wouldn't just reach for the Walmart bubble pack scope. What is your budget realistically? I'll see what I can dig up. When you get to 1000 yards and beyond, you BETTER have your act together. Do you shoot at these ranges frequently?

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
claysman73 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote claysman73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2010 at 21:25
There are no worries there. I "WILL NOT" hunt with it until I can hit what I'm aiming at I would just like to get to the range and map out loads and map the guns ballistics I have the NF ballistic software.
Yes I have been shooting long range guns for a few years now. I sold my 6BR about 6 months ago and I'm dieing to get back out on the range. I wouldn't be asking any of this if my work situation would not have changed.
I would say for now I'd like to stay under the 700.00 range
Saiga .308 with a real barrel and a .338Edge so I can reach out and touch things
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2010 at 06:33
SS 16X
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2010 at 09:06
This is a little over your budget, but one of the better ones you can get for under $1000.  Glass will be just as good as a nightforce and the reviews on tracking have been good.
http://swfa.com/Sightron-6-24x50-SIII-30mm-Riflescope-P9151.aspx
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2010 at 09:17
The Vortex Viper 6-24 has great reviews as well.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2010 at 09:24
I didn't think they had a 6-24x.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2010 at 09:34
my bad 6.5-20 with 5 different reticle options...... Bigdaddy has one on a savage and loves it.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote claysman73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2010 at 17:04
is the glass in the vortex comparable to the Sightron in the two scope that you guys mentioned?
WYcoyote View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WYcoyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2010 at 18:45
I hope for the animals sake that you have the stalking skills to sneak up to at least 950 yards.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote claysman73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2010 at 19:11
Originally posted by WYcoyote WYcoyote wrote:

I hope for the animals sake that you have the stalking skills to sneak up to at least 950 yards.

I didn't put this post here to get peoples opinion about the new challenge that I am going to do. I have been a archery hunter for over 20 years as for game I have taken with a bow I currently stand at 152 Whitetail, 7 Elk, 14 Mule Deer, 3 Bear, 13 Turkey and 32 hog. as for with a rifle I would be able to give you similar numbers. So please don't mar my post because you don't agree with this. I'm not the only person going for this challenging way of hunting www.longrangehunting.com
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2010 at 19:48

Interesting build. 

Basically a improved Dragunov. Are you using the side attached mounting point or a custom action cover with mounting points?

I have 2 Saigas and like them. 7.62x39  and .223 

I really think you could be pretty happy with one of these. 

http://swfa.com/Mueller-85-25x50-Eraticator-Riflescope-P9141.aspx

If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote claysman73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2010 at 20:18
on the 308 I used Bartlin straight taper barrel blank in .308 and machined it to fit in the factory mounting points. and used a match reamer and go/nogo then built a new gas block. Was not a easy task but it really turns the gun into a very good shooter. my best 3 group shot at 200yds is .495 which is pretty darn good for a semi auto rifle.

As for the .338 Edge I'm using a 700 action and another Bartlin straight taper.
dhdoyle View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dhdoyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2010 at 21:14
claysman73
I live in Wyoming, where a person may have to take a long shot. In rare circumstances, somebody might take a 400 yard shot at a cagey animal. Where and what are you planning on hunting at 1000 yards? I don't mean to argue with you., but it just ain't done. Yeah, there are the beanfield rifles for whitetale hunting, but even Kenny Jarrett suggests limiting your shooting to 500 yards.

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2010 at 21:16
Its called reverse stalking. Find the animal them climb to the opposite canyon rim to take the shot.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote claysman73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2010 at 21:24
Originally posted by dhdoyle dhdoyle wrote:

claysman73
I live in Wyoming, where a person may have to take a long shot. In rare circumstances, somebody might take a 400 yard shot at a cagey animal. Where and what are you planning on hunting at 1000 yards? I don't mean to argue with you., but it just ain't done. Yeah, there are the beanfield rifles for whitetale hunting, but even Kenny Jarrett suggests limiting your shooting to 500 yards.

it is done there are full length video's of people hunting like this all the time here are some short clips from the Definsive Edge site

http://www.defensiveedge.net/Videos/video.htm

if you do a search on Youtube you will see several video's on there also
WYcoyote View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WYcoyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2010 at 22:04
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

Its called reverse stalking. Find the animal them climb to the opposite canyon rim to take the shot.
I can't believe you posted this, I was typing darn near the same thing.
I guess ethical means different things to different people.
There are some with the skill and equipment to pull off very long shots. Most have neither.
If it's what blows your hair back and is legal, well what can you do.
I am a long way from being a bunny hugger, but I would think more of a shooter with a great 1000yd group on a target than a hunter holding up a 1000yd big game kill.
Just don't want to see wounded animals getting away, that's all.
It does seem like reverse hunting.

neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2010 at 22:20

I'm waaaaayyyyy too lazy to drag anything that far. I'm more the cover myself in corn and strangle something with the waist band out of my BVDs, but whatever peels your nanner man. 

I do ram hunt with a guy that has one of the Defensive Edge custom rifles. It's a very nice gun. 

If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2010 at 06:56
 "I'm more the cover myself in corn and strangle something with the waist band out of my BVDs"

Is that legal?    Bucky 
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2010 at 07:34

Only if you dont' get caught E

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic