OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Mildot comparison; 8-32x Sightron, Burris, Elite?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Mildot comparison; 8-32x Sightron, Burris, Elite?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Centerfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mildot comparison; 8-32x Sightron, Burris, Elite?
    Posted: June/09/2010 at 19:26

I'm intertested in buying a high power 6x-24X or 8X-32X variable scope in Burris Black Diamond, or the new Sightron Slll. How does the thickness of the mil-dot on these scopes compare at 100 yards to the Bushnell 4200?  I consider the Elite mil-dot reticle excellent.

The only mil-dot scopes I've ever owned to date is three Bushnell 4200's in 6x-24x  I find the mil-dot on these Elite 4200's excellent for target work. They are NOT so thick or bold at 100 yards that precision target shooting cannot be done.  I was hoping I can find an 8x-32x power Burris or Sightron which has mil-dot thickness that is fine and compares favorably to my Elites.

Anybody own any or all 3 of these scopes in mil-dot, and can provide input on the mil-dot comparisons between them?
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2010 at 10:05
If they are all true mils, they should all be the same size at 100 yards depending upon a few things.  Firts it would depend upon the magnification you were on. If you have one scope set at a higher mag than another the mils will appear to be smaller in relation to the target than the other scope will because the target appears bigger in the scope because of the higher mag.  Second, it also depends upon which power range that the mils are set to be true mil.  One scope might be designed to have true mils at 20x and the other at 30x.  That is the problem with second focal point scopes which they all are. 

I had a 6-24x IOR scope.  At 12 was where the mils were true.  So when I turned it up over 12x the mils got smaller in relation to the target, but I could not use them for true mils at that point because the target got bigger in the scope, but they stayed the same size.

Hope all that makes sense.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Centerfire View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Centerfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2010 at 12:45
I've understod that magnification can effect the size, and yes as you say,  the manufacturer picks a magnification to base the mil-dot ballistics on.

But..... I was under the distinct impression that there isn'ta standard size dot in the industry to start with. I thought just as every manufacturer makes the reticule cross hairs or duplex posts as bold or thick as they desire, then so too will the center mil-dots vary from scope to scope.

I'd love to hear a 2nd opinion, especially if somebody else out there owns the Elite 8x-24X and can compare it to another brand mil-dot. 

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2010 at 16:24
As far as I know it is either .22 mils or .25 mils that is used depending upon the company.

It seems like I remember reading somewhere the Bushnell mildots are .22 mil
It looks like SIghtron dots are .22 mils in size, standard army.  

I can't find jack on the Burris, their website sucks and keeps giving me errors.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Centerfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2010 at 19:40
Lordy me....I goofed! Whacko

I looked through my Elite scope to realize that the issue and main concern I have had is the crosshair in the center....... and NOT the dot

Pardon me for the confusion. It's been awhile since I looked through my Elite scopes, and  I was thinking that the center of the reticule had a fine dot. No, it has a fine crosshair!  The problem has been that many other brand scopes that offer a mil-dot reticule do not provide as fine a crosshair as does the Elite.

Do you know if the crosshair on the Burris or Sightron 8-32X is as fine as the elite? Should Hmmm.....I wonder if I should perhaps check into the Bushnell 6500.  It's not 32 magnification, but close at 30X. And being  it's a Bushnell, it probably has the same fine crosshair.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2010 at 13:01
I would contact SWFA and see if they would mind looking through them for you and telling you.  Or else find a store that sells them all and check them out yourself.  That is really going to be the only way to tell is to look through them.

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Centerfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2010 at 13:16
Thanks. The problem now- adays with most retail outlets and even the gun shows, is there is a very limited selection out there of QUALITY scopes to look at. There's only so many scopes that stores cary due to all the price competition that they have to contend with on the web. So, most stores stock little to nothing except the faster moving Leupolds, and a ton of cheap of mass produced junk catering to the average Joe who ust bought a plastic SPS Remington off the shelf. (ie; Bottom of the line Bushnells, Tascos, Barska, Simmons, BSA, etc)

Thanks. I'll keep fishing around for input on the various websight forums.

Next time I'll ask the question properly, and to the point. You've been kind to try and help, but nobody else has the patience to read through all this.

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2010 at 13:25

I would suggest calling SWFA and talking with Christopher or Brady

Edited by SVT_Tactical - June/11/2010 at 13:26
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic