OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for silhouette standard

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c1steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for silhouette standard
    Posted: June/09/2010 at 16:17
What magnifications, or what scopes in general, do people like to use for high power rifle in silhouette? 

I am planning on putting together a 7mm-08 for silhouette and other long distance shooting.  I know Leupold has some scopes in 25x and 30x, but what do people like to use? 
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2010 at 16:35
That really isn't a long distance round.

And > 20X is allot of magnification.  Allot.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2010 at 19:53
usually shot at 600 m. --- standing, without a sling, targets vary between 12" and 24" grouping of shots is not a consideration, (most silhoutte rifles group just fine). , If you think hitting 1000 yd targets is hard, try running 20 straight rams, standing --- off hand, just getting a piece of the cross hairs on a piece of the target usually works , scope is used with in the wobble zone, just like NRA slow fire. 20x works great, but you should consider which reticle and target knobs which are more important, in dialing between the usually 4 different ranges of course of fire.  
c1steve View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c1steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2010 at 20:14
Shooting offhand is very humbling.  That is why I want to practice and get better at it.  Sounds like 20x is good.  If .308 is "good enough for tactical rifle matches, then the 7mm-08 should work as least as good.

Dale, what do you like in the way of reticles and knobs?  I have not used target scopes, so am asking before I buy.

bberg7794 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bberg7794 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2010 at 10:05
I'm not sure what current silhouette competitors are using for scopes and would defer to anyone who has firsthand experience, but more than one match was won in the 70's with 4x and 6x scopes. I practice offhand quite a bit and I don't like the reticle bounce of a scope over 4x. This is something to consider.

I have shot in a couple of European 300 meter high power practice matches. These are shot without a scope and about 50% is from the offhand position as I understood the competition and yes, it is humbling but also surprising what you can do with proper technique and discipline. I would like to take my 7mm-08 and shoot some competition with it here in the US also and am looking at NRA Sporting Rifle currently. 300 meter high power shooting is extremely fun.

The 7mm-08 gained it's popularity from the silhouette competition crowd because it has plenty of power to knock the rams over at 600 meters, but has light recoil.
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2010 at 19:01
A lot depends on where you are shooting, sanctioned matches are done one way, home town matches are another. If you have a home town match, check with the locals on special rules they may have that favor one set over the other. Most 4 and 6x scopes  are used on NRA standing hunter class PISTOL not rifle, and you would hardly be competitive against a good set up around 20x , The reticle bounce as you put it , is the before mentioned wobble area, that must be mastered in offhand shooting regardless of the type of scope used. usually 6mm is the smallest caliber that will still give a high enough momentum factor, and 708 and 308 work fine. 300 m would make an acceptable pistol match in the west. I prefer a simpler target or fine reticle for this type of shooting with maybe a target dot. Ranging is not required so complex reticles (busy) aren't necessary. 6.5x20 leos vx or Nikon monarchs make good choices or 4.5x14 in a pinch. The target knobs are options with both brands.

Edited by Dale Clifford - June/10/2010 at 19:02
c1steve View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c1steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2010 at 22:21
I am definitely leaning toward the Leupold 6.5-20.  However, as Rancid Coolaid mentioned, 20x is a lot of magnification.  I have a long way to go with offhand shooting, but hope to be able to use 16x or 20x eventually.  I was thinking 15x max is all I could handle for some time, just do not know if later on I would want more.

On the reticles, and models in Leupold VX-3, what do people recommend?  I was thinking the Long Range version however I have heard that their side focus design is poor, as the lash is not really taken out.

Any recommendations I would like to hear them. The VX-3 A.O version is available with the target dot, and does not have side focus.  I do not know if Leupold fixed the side focus problem. 
c1steve View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c1steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2010 at 23:26
Rancid,

Thanks for your comments.  My reply was a bit rude. I apologize for my stupidity.

s
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2010 at 08:56
You will loose the target on the shot, regardless of the magnification. Its not like shooting prone or from a rest as in being behind the gun and watching the strike. Just getting the reticle on the target long enough to get the shot off is most of the study. The side focus problems are over rated. One should start with the focus on infinity and come back through the target, using the distortion to judge which areas have the worst boil, thermals, andor cross winds anyway. The same problem you have with the 15x will be there in the 20x and vice versa, no correlation. While mirage is a problem at 600 yds, its nothing like 1000+. Personally if I were starting out I would get a 6x20 conquest Rz600 or varmit, calibrate for the load and be done with it. Not only would the reticle be already calibrated to ranges you would be shooting but windage hold off is built into the reticle. Later on if you decided you needed more  refinement go to a fine cross, with 1/8 clicks in the turrets.
c1steve View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c1steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2010 at 10:29
I looked at the RX, and it looks good. However I have a bit of a weight problem.  The Leupold weighs 4.4 oz less, not sure if it will work.  I do not have the final rifle weight, but I know it will be close.
bberg7794 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bberg7794 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2010 at 11:54
I just found this web article regarding silhouette shooting scopes, enjoy.

http://members.cox.net/riflesilhouette/equipment/scopes.html
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic