OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Bud's Son's Tuner and Fabrication Skills

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bud's Son's Tuner and Fabrication Skills
    Posted: June/09/2010 at 07:14
I have to say I am quite proud of my son's self taught mechanical skills.
He can do just about anything he wants.  Electronics, welding, sheetmetal work, parts fab, painting,  Fuel systems, Eng computer work, suspension mods. PC based fuel curve tuning.
You name it!  I can't do half the stuf he can and boy does he like to rub it in!

Per request here are picutres of SOME of his projects!

1984 BMW 325e.  Chopped, dropped, canted, turboed, tubbed, painted....etc.

He got tired of pulling the engine and tranny and fighting the front grill and radiator support structure so he modified the chassis.  4 bolts and 2 locator pins and the front of the chassis comes off and he can walk the engine staight in and out!

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2010 at 07:20
Good show!!!! I loved doing things like that when I had time and no kids. I loved racing and building trucks. Now the most I will do to a car is lift a truck every now and then and maybe change the oil.

Grab us more pics bro.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
scooter65 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scooter65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2010 at 07:21
NICE BARN!
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2010 at 07:24
Should be a nice sleeper it looks like!  Tell him good work!
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2010 at 07:49

Locating and installing the intercooler for his turbo

He fabbed up custom ignition using 6 coils from Jeep Wrangler 4cyc for 10K rpm plus capability.

Fabbing up the cold air feed tube from intercooler to throttle body.

Installing a CoilOver conversion to front suspension

CoilOver conversion complete.

Installing a turbo Oul Cooler

Beefing up the rear suspension control swing arms with cross members.

Converting from 4 lug to 5 lug hubs

Rear assemblr ready to install after hub and swingarm mods.  Now at or exceeds M3 level.
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2010 at 07:58
Very nice work.... he should think of a custom fab shop in the future.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2010 at 08:04
 Yep.  MONEY to be made.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2010 at 08:07
Don't you wanna back him Bud?  you can be the money behind the man to get him started.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2010 at 08:24
I already am the money man behind him damn it!!!  Most of ethequipment is mine and I haven't been able to get into my own 30X40 polebarn for a couople of years now!!!! 
I didn't even have room enough to pull my zero turn mower in to air up last monday!! ARGH!
--Thomas Jefferson

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2010 at 08:26
Originally posted by Bigdaddy0381 Bigdaddy0381 wrote:

Good show!!!! I loved doing things like that when I had time and no kids. I loved racing and building trucks. Now the most I will do to a car is lift a truck every now and then and maybe change the oil.

Grab us more pics bro.

Brando I haven't even begun toi scratch teh  surface on all the pictures his got.
I copied them to my thumb this morning and it took 10 minutes!!!
--Thomas Jefferson

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2010 at 08:28
I can't wait to see the finished product!
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2010 at 08:31
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

I can't wait to see the finished product!
Well currently its back it the barn on jackstands waiting for the new fueal system.

He is building a hardtail chopper right now.  Once  thats finished he will go back to the BMW
--Thomas Jefferson

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2010 at 08:39
Yeah i remember you saying that so he can go on a trip.  I am sure you remembered those pictures of the motorcycle too didn't you!
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2010 at 09:02
He stripped her to the bone to lighten her.  He also stripp all paint down to bare metal and totally repaionted entire car in Sliver which is very hard to keep matched because of eth amount of solids and metalflakes in the paint!  He removed almost every ounce of weight he could cause he wants to road Rally her!

Yet an other front end confguration trying to find his look.  I think he had 5 different front ends on her before deciding to go completely Euro.

Cut out the Spare tire well in trunk.

Welded in band strap clamps for a NOS botttle.

Dressing it up some more!
--Thomas Jefferson

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2010 at 09:08
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

Yeah i remember you saying that so he can go on a trip.  I am sure you remembered those pictures of the motorcycle too didn't you!
That was his first bike from last year.  I have pictures of the road trip too.  This years bike is a new stretched frame hard tail.  he just got ehj frame back from powder coating this week.
--Thomas Jefferson

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2010 at 09:16
  This ones for Mark (Go  Gators)  Finally received the long backordered replacement carpet!

Installation time.

Look Ma new carpet.
--Thomas Jefferson

lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2010 at 10:10
Wow, I'd also be proud.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2010 at 11:13
That's Great!!!   Excellent    Thunbs Up
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2010 at 11:30
  Recover the back deck

Back deck and rear seat re-installed

He couldn't stand that old ratty look y Nos bottle making his pretty trunk look bad, so he bought a new one!

Hand built ECU he ordered from Sweden and put together himself with my help.  Mounted in hte glovebox for easy access.  Serial interface to laptop for fuel curve tuning.

here is the rear axle assembly freshly pulled for the Hub, swingarm and coilover mods.

Earl this is why that trick you sent me for good hung-ups don't work on Beamers.  Diff is limited slip.

She's out of the barn for a little testing!  About 2/3rds complete.

A little stationary tuning and fuel mapping.

Found this one of the beginning where he had just pulled the old engine the first time.

Cleaning up the engine bay.  its amazing how much better it makes things look.  He also did away with  a ton of wiring and routed everything else hidden for a clean look.

Time to staert on the engine.  Hot dipped, Decked, honed, Cyclinders O-ringed (popular in Europe)  Block enhancements, crankscrapper Oil gally porting...etc.

Block done now the head.  Ported and polished.  Re-enforcing brackets added across headbolts.  New OEM stretch Headbolts (bad Idea).  New cast rocker arms.

Head done!   TURBO TIME! 

The beast ready to make noice!
--Thomas Jefferson

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2010 at 11:33
               Oh yeah, when I said he stripped everything i meant everything!!
--Thomas Jefferson

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic