OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leupold European Scopes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Extended Eye Relief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leupold European Scopes
    Posted: June/08/2010 at 11:20
I'm looking for a scope to use on an AR for 100-300 yds from the bench.  Sick of all the zillion options at $$$$ prices and everything else.  I'm sure it may be worth it for those a bit more serious than me.  I want a good clear scope that won't break the bank.  If I don't like it, I'll sell it and upgrade

Anyway, I was looking at the Leupold European series.  I'm not big on variable eye relief and these seem to be better than other Leupold options.  I was considering the VXIII 2.5-8, but the eye relief varies 1"!  I'm looking at the Euro 2-7X33: http://swfa.com/Leupold-2-7x33-European-30mm-Riflescope-P3657.aspx 

Are the Euros good Leupold scopes?
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2010 at 13:34
From looking at the specs, they are just VX2 optically with a 30mm tube with a big jump in price over the vx2.  That is where the European name comes from.  Instead of the regular 1 inch tube like most Leupold hunting scopes they added a 30mm tube to appease the masses and make people think they are getting a European quality scope.

For the money, this would be a much better choice.  Better optics and only .3 inches of variable eye relief.  http://swfa.com/Vortex-2-7x32-Viper-Rifle-Scope-P10818.aspx

This would make another fine choice for an AR>  I have this scope and it is a dandy, one of my favorites.  http://swfa.com/Sightron-125-5x20-SII-Big-Sky-Riflescope-P9152.aspx

Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Extended Eye Relief View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Extended Eye Relief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2010 at 15:34
My eyes ain't too hot, and I'm wondering if the 7x-8X or more is the best to go for.  I'm willing to spend up to $450.  I'm sure the Vortex is great but I think I'd like to get a scope that's a notch above. I was also considering the Bushnell 2.5-10 Elite 4200 or the Nikon Monarch 2.5-10x44.  
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2010 at 15:46
Notch above?  Vortex Viper competes directly against Elite 4200, and I would take both of them over a Nikon Monarch.

All that having been said, if your budget is under $450, one of these will work well for you: Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40, Minox ZA-3 3-9x40, Meopta MeoPro 3-9x42.  I just compared these:

ILya
snakeman48 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snakeman48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2010 at 16:25
While I like the Leupold VX-3 line of scopes, and own a few, I have to agree with supertool on this one.
Just a re-badge of a 1'' scope stuffed into a 30mm tube, at a VX-3 price premium.

Also the scope brand he recommends are in the price range you are willing to spend.

I read Ilya;s review last night, and it is something you might want to read.
His reviews are well received on the forum. I treat them a gospel when I'm researching different scope manufactures wares.
NRA Benefactor Member.    Veteran; US Army 5th Corps 1970-1972

The only time in my life when I got to Rock-N-Roll, and the ammo was free!!
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2010 at 16:40
Just to clarify.  All the scopes listed are a good notch or two above that particular Leupold you listed.  I would be all over the Meopta or Conquest 3-9x if you have that to spend.  They should serve you well.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Extended Eye Relief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2010 at 18:10
Thanks all for the great advice.  And thanks for the great write ups, Koshkin. 

I'm putting this on an AR than will spend most of it's time on the bench.  Yes, the endless, and increadibly expensive options for tactical are endless.  At this time this is what I can afford, and I need more than 4x.  I don't need a BDC reticle.  If I change my mind, I'll sell and upgrade.  Like I said, I just need a good reticle, nice clear glass and it to hold zero.  Don't worry about close in, I have BYUIS, and I'll probably get a side mount with a Burris FastFire or the like.

Anyway, back on topic.  If Meopta or Zeiss Conquest will have better glass than I'll go that way.  The crosshairs of the Z Plex seem a little thick until they narrow down to the center.  The meopta w/ a #4 reticle sounds like it would be better, but I can't help but wonder about the longevity and quality of Meopta.  They're just unknown to me, and I don't know how they are made, etc.  What say you?  Thanks.

PS: Please recommend a good AR mount for theseBig Smile
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2010 at 18:32
Burris PEPR for the mount.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2010 at 22:42
I have ran a meopta on a semi auto 7mm for several years and it has held up just fine.  It survived about 30 heavy 45-70 rounds before i moved it to the 7mm as well.  I am sure it will be just fine on a AR.

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Extended Eye Relief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2010 at 23:43
The Meopta may be the best way to go, as I can get the #4 reticle, where as the Zeiss charges $100 extra for it.  I like what I'm reading about the Meopta as well.  -

I'll bet the Burris mount is great, but I think it's 30mm, and these scopes are 1".  Do they have inserts? 
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2010 at 07:02
they have both a 1" and 30mm availible.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2010 at 07:04
Burris AR-P.E.P.R. 1 Burris AR-P.E.P.R. 1" Scope Mount
Stock # - 410343
  • Matte
  • Picatinny Tops
$69.95 
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Extended Eye Relief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2010 at 09:37
Thanks, SVT.

Koshkin,
In another thread you said that you'd take the Meostar over the Conquest (if eye relief wasn't an issue).  May I ask you to elaborate?  I think the 3.75" of ER for AR use is probably plenty (especially since it's very close to the conquest's 4" ER).  The conquest just has hundreds of 10 out of 10 reviews all over the place.  That has caught my eye. 
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Extended Eye Relief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2010 at 18:38
Anybody?
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2010 at 18:49
the 4x acogs only have 1.5 inches of eye relief and are use on AR a lot.  So 3.75 will be more than you need.  My bushnell has 3.5 and I use it on a 6.8 spc which kicks harder than the .223 and I have no problems.

You are probably just going to be splitting hairs between those two scopes.  Both will be a good choice.

Edited by supertool73 - June/09/2010 at 18:50

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2010 at 19:43
Originally posted by Extended Eye Relief Extended Eye Relief wrote:

Thanks, SVT.

Koshkin,
In another thread you said that you'd take the Meostar over the Conquest (if eye relief wasn't an issue).  May I ask you to elaborate?  I think the 3.75" of ER for AR use is probably plenty (especially since it's very close to the conquest's 4" ER).  The conquest just has hundreds of 10 out of 10 reviews all over the place.  That has caught my eye. 

I am on vacation righ tnow and my access to e-mail will be sporadic for a week or so.

Meostar has about 3 - 3.3 inches of eye relief.  These are very well made 30mm tube scopes.  Optically, I like them a touch more than Conquest, but not quite as much as IOR.

ILya
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Extended Eye Relief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2010 at 22:59
Thanks again everyone for the great info.  The conquest's reputation is just too hard to beat.  It does have that 4" ER.  I don't shoot nose to charging handle.  I shoot a bit back.  The Burris AR-P.E.P.R will still work alright?
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2010 at 07:15
it should be fine. ....  you can see there is still alot of room to move the PEPR back or even the scope back in the rings.  Yeah
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Extended Eye Relief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2010 at 12:10
Out of curiosity, if I were going for a tactical scope and had around $800 to spend, what would you recommend?
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2010 at 16:45
SS 10x HD.....hands down
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic