OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Lenses and Powers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lenses and Powers
    Posted: June/07/2010 at 23:25
I've spent much of the evening reading what I could find on fixed and variable scopes.  My focus is the 6x and below range, primarily because most of my shooting will be off hand and  even when supported, still likely at ranges less than 400 yds.  I read a great deal of debate where seemingly knowledgeable fellows state that the 6x42 is a wonderfully bright and crisp scope (the FX Loopy seems to have a good following, and once in a rare moment, somebody pops in saying the SB smokes it - and of course, then the pizng contests begin).  Often times, the question arises why the 6x42 should be so fine vs for example a 3-12 x gazillion scope, dialed back to 6x.  It is a good question.  I don't know, only speculation and reasoning.  My guess is that there are fewer lenses / fewer air / glass interfaces in the fixed scope thus much lower losses in transmission and fewer distortion effects.   Now that's a guess, does any body actually know ?  While we are here - I'm considering running the SnB 6x42 along with a T1 in an offset LaRue mount.  Am I about to spend a lot of money doing something stupid here?  thanks in advance for your comments, sorry for the monologue.  
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2010 at 03:23
This topic has been covered recently. A fixed power scope optics appear better and are better $$$$ spent for seeing at the same power due to the reasons you give above. Today these diffrences are not so great due to technological improvements.
Why limit yourself??? A 4-12 or 6-120 would serve you better for those 400yd shots.
tabeast View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2010 at 07:22
Thank you.  I'm sorry - I attempted , repeatedly, to search this topic.  Apparently I don't know the right key words to find the hit.  

A 4-12 or a 6-20 would, characteristically, add substantial weight.  Also, anything more than 6x off / hand is wasted on me.  Rather like the reason most binos are maximum useful at 8x - just too much shake.  Now I realize the SB will weigh a tonne , but I'm prepared to suffer that for what I anticipate will be a forever purchase.  One of the more frequent and apparently respected posters here called the 6x42 "optically perfect".  I thought that was rather challenging statement , rather unattainable, but taken in the spirit it was intended, a great endorsement.
tabeast View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2010 at 08:00
Plus - the T1 offset was made to look around an ACOG.  Big objective bells are just going to generate clearance issues.  On the fence between the FX3 and the SB - 6x42
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2010 at 08:04
I would look hard at the new SS 6X
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
tabeast View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2010 at 09:11
Saw it.  Quite unimpressive IMO. Very narrow FOV.  Loopie at 17, SB at 21, and this SS scope at 13?   The 8x S&B has a wider FOV.  Don't know who spec'd out their scopes - but ...  I'll pass, without even a second glance.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2010 at 09:34
This one will out glass the Leupold by a bit which will put you closer to the S&B while still being affordable.  http://swfa.com/IOR-6x42-Hunting-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P1843.aspx
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
tabeast View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2010 at 09:37
Thank you for that suggestion.  I had overlooked it completely.  Excellent suggestion.  
cowski View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2010 at 09:58
are any shots going to be close range? if so i would get a 4x conquest .4x is enough for shots on deer at 400yds,but i prefer more .i would get a 3x9.
never corner something meaner than you are jbc
tabeast View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2010 at 11:29
I don't foresee the future that well, but I am sure some of them will be.  I believe the well known rule of thumb 1x per 100  yds - applies to a very good marksman.  In my case, I think 1x per 70 yds is a better rule for my skill level.  The conquest is a nice scope, I have the low power variable (although quite large, it is very bright and sharp).  I'm looking for an upgrade though - S&B, but maybe the IOR which looks to be interesting as well.  Thanks.
tabeast View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2010 at 12:57
I'm going with the S&B.  buy once, use many.  thanks for input.
tabeast View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2010 at 14:17
Sorry - last one , but I should credit the management out of respect.  I ordered the S&B from SWFA.  Thank you for hosting this forum.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2010 at 15:42
Originally posted by tabeast tabeast wrote:

Saw it.  Quite unimpressive IMO. Very narrow FOV.  Loopie at 17, SB at 21, and this SS scope at 13?   The 8x S&B has a wider FOV.  Don't know who spec'd out their scopes - but ...  I'll pass, without even a second glance.

I suspect it is a typo.  The field of view of the 6x42 S.S. should be around 20feet at 100 yards.  I will check when I get it next week.

ILya
tabeast View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2010 at 16:05
Would be a shame to have lost competitive selections on that basis, good to get corrected.  I've already ordered the s/b.  I believe you once called it "optically perfect" , so I've got extremely high expectations having read your opinions quite extensively (not to impart any responsibility to you for my purchase decisions, just that I usually enjoy your critical process.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2010 at 16:43
Originally posted by tabeast tabeast wrote:

Would be a shame to have lost competitive selections on that basis, good to get corrected.  I've already ordered the s/b.  I believe you once called it "optically perfect" , so I've got extremely high expectations having read your opinions quite extensively (not to impart any responsibility to you for my purchase decisions, just that I usually enjoy your critical process.

S&B 6x42 is a superb scope.  The optical formula is well worked out and has been optimized over the years.

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic