OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Rifle stock

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote little cleo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rifle stock
    Posted: June/07/2010 at 21:42
I have a chance to get a gun in a trade.  The gun is a 25/06 with a mauser action and a  shilon barrel with a Richard Mizofit  thumb hole stock.  I don't like the look of the stock and I wonder if I can go with another stock  without alot of problems and modifiation.  Isaw a Sako stock I realy liked alot do you memmbers think I could use that stock/  Thanks for any input
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2010 at 23:32
Probably smarter to just pass on that one. Even if you went with a Boyds laminate which are fairly cheap it will still require some fitting.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2010 at 06:41
 +1  Too many possible variables,lc.  I'd pass to.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2010 at 07:00
Any stock you get will need to be checked and worked for proper fit. 
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Dakotaman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakotaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2012 at 00:18
Get a Mauser stock anywhere you like and it will be a pretty close fit as long as you measure the action screw distance. Nowdays, it is absolutely best to glass/pilar bed the action anyway and that is something you can easily do yourself. You can chisel/dremmel out the stock where necessary for the receiver, trigger and magazine but it will be close if not a dropin. Fiberglass barrel channels are easy to sand out with sandpaper on a dowel if necessary. Wood stocks are easier to expand if you get a barrel channel cutting tool.

The barrel channel will probably be fine though since you will want to free float the barrel. Usually, you just need to trim a little off the top of the barrel channel with sandpaper unless you have a bull barrel.
Stevey Ducks View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevey Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2012 at 02:19
Not all mausers are equal.
If the Mauser is a FN Mauser (Fabrique National - commercial version of 98 wo thumb cut) with a professionally installed Shilen barrel that is in good shape and had a good trigger like a Timney and everything else is in good shape I would make an offer on it.
BUT a battered military 98 with an unknown history with things like a poorly welded bolt handle, deep pitting at the wood line, sloppy firing pin hole in bolt face, and a very early or late late manufacture I would avoid it. Proper heat treating is real important in Mausers. I am not a Mauser student but I have had experience with the VZ 24 types that appeared to be equal to the FN in workmanship.

Before you trade cock the rifle (unloaded), put it on safety, pull the trigger, release the trigger, then put it off safety. If it fires without pulling the trigger the cocking piece/sear contact needs to be adjusted and that could indicate sloppy smithing.

Also, not to bother with 96 types or older but it would be very unlikely that a .25-06 would be made from one of them.

There are many stocks available for 98/FN Mausers but some minor fitting or epoxy bedding might be required.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic