OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Crossfire IR vs Hawke endurance 30

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote perch161 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crossfire IR vs Hawke endurance 30
    Posted: June/06/2010 at 23:07
Can anyone give a reason why I should buy one over the other? 
perch161 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote perch161 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2010 at 23:19
Sorry, I should introduce myself.  My name is Mark And I don't know that much about optics.  I have been lurking around this and other sites to try to educate myself.  There seems to be more info, on more brands, here than any where else.  That is why I asked this question. The predator hunting sites that I'm on,don't seem to have an oppinion.

I just bought a Savage in .223 for coyote hunting.  I need to put the best scope I can get for the money on it and the budget only allows for 300.00-400.00 with rings.  The rifle came with bases.   
perch161 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote perch161 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2010 at 08:51
So no one has an oppinion here either.  Well I just ordered the Hawke I'll give a review when I get it in and on the new Savage.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2010 at 09:01
Sorry missed this thread.... what crossfire are you talking about.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2010 at 09:01
Mark,

I have not owned either of them, but the Hawke has been reviewed by Koshkin and he seemed to like what he saw for the price.  In fact, I asked him his opinion on the Hawke Endurance 30 1-4 ish model after reading his review on SWFA and he stated that for the money this was a very good scope in that magnification range.  Good luck with the scope and let us know how it performs.

Caleb
SD Dog View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2010 at 09:22
Welcome to the OT Perch, take it you like fishing.  Let us know how works for you.  Savage should serve you well.  Which Hawke did you order?
perch161 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote perch161 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2010 at 17:50
Thanks for the replies.  I was beginning to think that I was really on my own on this one.  I have used the internet boards for a lot of purchases lately.  So far I'm really happy with the suggestions and reviews of the products that I've bought.   I do like perch fishing a lot, my favorite eating fish.  I read about a Vortex Crossfire that had an IR and was only about 199.00.  I can't remember the model off hand.  I ended up ordering the Endurance 30 3-12x50 with the L-4 reticle.  I used standard shipping for no extra cost so it could show up as soon as this weekend or as far out as next Friday.  At any rate I can't wait to get this rig up and running.  I have been calling a lot of coyotes lately and only have been able to close the deal on one.  The Mini-14 and the cheap Bushnell sportsman aren't up to the task for anything over 150 yards out.  Once everything is up and running I won't be able to blame the rifle or optics anymore. 
SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2010 at 09:01
Sounds like it should work for you.  Yotes are year round here too.  Never have enough time for it, but love it just the same.  Post a pic of the rig once you get it put together.  Whole mess of perch is great eating.
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2010 at 14:03
Welcome to OT,As long as you are looking at the Vortex in the  $400 range,why not look at the Viper 6.5-20x44.it's a step up from the crossfire & comes in @ $399 at SWFA.Good hunting!
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
perch161 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote perch161 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/2010 at 21:19
I got the Hawke in last week and am going to give it my initial review.  When I got the box opened it came in a handy carrying case that was lined with egg foam.  I opened that and found a really nice looking scope.  I have never owned a scope that was over $100.00 so I didn't know what to expect until I looked through it.  I was very clear from side to side and the dot seemed pretty small.  The Illumination seems to be just about right at the lowest setting, but that will remain to be seen when I'm actually in the field. 

It was obviously better than the other 2 cheapos that I have.  They are a Bushnell sportsman 4-12x40 and a Bass pro Epic 3-9x40.

The relief is generous.  I didn't measure but it was more than enough for any application that i could think of.  The relief did change a little at full magnification it shortened up a little. 

Not having compared The Hawke Endurance to other scopes side by side I decided to take it to BPS and Gander Mountain yesterday and look at other scopes side by side to see if I needed to return it.  At BPS I compared it to a Ziess Conquest in the same power and size the only difference was that the Ziess was a 1" tube.  The clarity seemed about the same but I thought the Hawke had a little bit bigger FOV.  The guys at the counter looked through both and gave it a toss up.  They seemed to like the L4 reticle better in the Hawke.  I personally like the duplex reticle a little better for the more finite POA.  Then I looked through the Burris Fulfield II.  They only had one in a 3-9x40 so the comparison wasn't apples to apples, but the Hawke won hands down with relief and clarity and FOV.

Then I went to Gander.  I looked at the Nikon Monarch in the same size and power and also Leupold VX 3.  I thought that the clarity was the same, but The Nikon and the Leupold seemed just a touch brighter.  The Nikon FOV was the tiniest bit bigger as well.  While I was there I wanted to see if there is such a huge difference between the really high end scopes and these, so I asked to see a Swarovski that ran $2800.00.  YES!! There is a difference.  I'm not sure if it is a $2450.00 difference, but there is a significant difference in clarity brightness and overall construction and features.

Overall I am satisfied with my purchase so far.  If it holds zero and doesn't fall apart I will be very happy.  I don't expect it will have any problems, because I haven't had any with the cheapos.  This seems to be much better constructed.  
monty thiessen View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monty thiessen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2015 at 09:32
I recommend Hawke endurance. Beautiful scope! Great looking glass and reticle. Everything about it is 110% of what I expected. Unless you're into buying $1,000+ optics, you won't be able to beat this one. The eye-relief is basically infinite. I have to take my head almost completely off the buttstock of my AR to lose the full field of view. You can find more info from http://www.progunowner.com/
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2015 at 10:11
Just an FYI, this topic is 5 years old. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
monty thiessen View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monty thiessen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2016 at 09:10
And also this is a great site that has good info about this topic . http://www.shootingandsafety.com/
CJarvis View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJarvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2016 at 12:32
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2016 at 14:05
CJarvis: Can I use you Die Thread pic.  Oooo ED.......
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
CJarvis View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJarvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2016 at 14:49
Be my guest. I stole it from somewhere else...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic