OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Vortex Viper compared to Zeiss Conquest

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vortex Viper compared to Zeiss Conquest
    Posted: June/06/2010 at 10:31
I am a first time poster and fairly new to the ins and outs of optics. I have been a long time archery hunter and decided to purchase my first rifle toward the end of this past deer season. I mounted a Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10x 44 on my Remington 700 and was very pleased with everything about the scope as far as a hunting scope. After deer season was over, I started punching paper with a few friends who are very capable long range shooters. This is when I noticed the limitations of my scope as far as magnification is concerned. I can shoot out to 500 with the Conquest but it would be nice to have a little more magnification. The Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 has caught my eye and I have read a lot of positive reviews on this line of optics. I would like to know how this scope would compare to a Zeiss Conquest as far as glass quality and function. I realize that it may not be as good but the zeiss in the same configuration is about twice the price so is the Zeiss twice the scope? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2010 at 12:14
i think you will be pleasantly surprised with the viper, i put a 2x7x32 on my .375H&H just after xmas, and its a very nice scope. is it equal to a conquest, well its close... it may be a little behind in last legal light, but its not by a huge amount. the thing i really like about vortex in general is that they are so customer friendly. i have spoken to several company reps and they were all always about what they could do for me. im fairly certain that if i called them on the side of the road in Wisconsin, and was broke down, they would come pick me up.

i think you would be very happy with the vortex, especially when you consider the price difference.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2010 at 12:23
Welcome to the sight bigO
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Randall45 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randall45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2010 at 17:29
The Zeiss Conquest is a better scope than the Vortex Viper.Better in Low light and durability.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2010 at 18:39
Originally posted by Randall45 Randall45 wrote:

The Zeiss Conquest is a better scope than the Vortex Viper.Better in Low light and durability.
+1  sounds right to me

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2010 at 20:18
Originally posted by Randall45 Randall45 wrote:

really how durable do you want?? my viper has handled my .375H&H magnum just fine. the vipers are tested to withstand the recoil of the .50bmg. now im not saying the conquest isnt tough, but to say that one is tougher than the other is pure speculation.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Big O View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2010 at 21:59

I realize that the Zeiss may be a little better comparing similar scopes. In other words , the 6.5-20x50 Conquest may have an edge over the Vortex of the same specs. I would think that the 50mm Vortex would be at least an equal to the 44mm Zeiss as far as low light is concerned but I may be mistaken. Durability is kind of subjective and depends on the application and the type of environment that you use it in. I really don't think durability will be an issue for me. With that being said, is the conquest 6.5-20x50 $450 better than the Viper? I do know that the 6.5-20 Conquest does not have near the elevation and windage adjustment of the Viper because of the one inch tube.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2010 at 06:11
is $450 better probably not.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Scott_at_Vortex View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott_at_Vortex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2010 at 10:10
I know I have said this before ,but I really believe that the Viper line of scopes,especially the 6.5-20 are probably the best kept secrets(so to speak) in the riflescope world. I have personally done quite a bit of durability testing (as you can imagine) and the Vipers literally are some of the toughest scopes out there ,especially in the under$1000 range. They track  and hold zero unbelievably and we honestly barely ever see them back for factory warranty work. I am not trying top say that they are the best scope out there ,but rather that I do believe they are the scope out there for the price.

To the op I would say get one from SWFA and if some reason you are not happy with it the excellent customer service at SWFA will take care of you with an exchange or refund or you can call us direct and we will do what ever necessary to make you happy.

Scott 
www.vortextactical.com

www.vortexoptics.com
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2010 at 11:38
Nice of you for jumping in Scott,I could't agree with you more & I own both scopes!
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Big O View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2010 at 15:17
Thanks for the responses, I am gonna try the 6.5-20x50 Viper. It seems to have everything that i want and is very affordable for the features. I feel confident that it will meet my needs.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2010 at 15:35
  Excellent

And DON"T forget that detailed report,troop!
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2010 at 20:22
Originally posted by Big O Big O wrote:

Thanks for the responses, I am gonna try the 6.5-20x50 Viper. It seems to have everything that i want and is very affordable for the features. I feel confident that it will meet my needs.

you wont be sorry
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Big O View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2010 at 20:59
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

Excellent

I will definitely give my review of the Viper as best I can.  
Big O View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2010 at 21:34
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

Excellent

The Viper arrived today. I am in the process of bedding my rifle so I can only comment on looks and apparent function. This is an attractive scope. I really like the matte finish with minimal writing on the scope. It is not a lightweight scope, but not overly heavy either. The weight makes it feel rugged. The angled power ring is nice because the numbers are looking at you while in the shooting position. As far as function, all the adjustments work beatifully. The turrets have an audible click and feel very solid. The parallax adjustment is super smooth as is the power ring and fast focus eyepiece. The only complaints so far are the resettable turrets which are spring loaded. The zeiss turrets click up and down when you rezero and feel more precise. I also came in at 65 MOA of adjustment which is a little less than advertised. These are minor issues for me but I thought I would include them in the review. Optically, I could not tell much difference between this scope and the Conquest that i had. I could not do a side by side comparison because I got rid of the Zeiss but I will later on in the week when I have access to some different scopes. I will also comment more after mounting the scope up and testing the adjustments. Overall, I am pretty impressed with this scope for under $500.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic