OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Best fixed power under $400

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bberg7794 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2010 at 16:46
If I could find a Zeiss 4x with the no. 4 reticle that would be everything I could want. I will have to give customer service a call in a couple of weeks when I have the money.

I found the variable eye relief of my 2.5-8 to be really annoying also, but I was most disappointed in it's lack of light gathering and the standard deuplex reticle was not good for low light. I didn't notice any image distortion with mine.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2010 at 17:09
  I also should have listed the low light performance of my VX-III as one of the things I liked about the scope.  Edge distortion was bad.

I'll just say that the view through my Conquest is WIDE,CLEAR,and BRIGHT.  Don't let the lack of a #4 reticle stop you from getting one if you can as I believe the #20 will be fine.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2010 at 21:19
SWFA SS 6x42 Tactical Riflescope SWFA SS 6x42 Tactical Riflescope
Stock # - SS6X42
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Rear Focus
  • OK for .50 cal
  • 1/4 MOA
$299.95 
Currently available in stock ready to be ordered. 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Folically Challenged View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Folically Challenged Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2010 at 12:08
I had a GS 4.75x40, and quickly sent it down the road.  I didn't like the reticle, eye relief, or the picture.  I'd gotten it on close-out, so 'twas easy to get my $ back out of it.

I currently have  2 Conquest 4x32's mounted on rifles, 1 in the safe, & another being delivered as we speak.  I suppose you could say I'm partial to them.  I happen to like the #20 reticle, but those things are really just a personal preference.

Still, if I had an opportunity to pick up an IOR 4x for $260, I'd be on it like Michael Jackson on a Cub Scout.

FC
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2010 at 12:38
Originally posted by Folically Challenged Folically Challenged wrote:

I had a GS 4.75x40, and quickly sent it down the road.  I didn't like the reticle, eye relief, or the picture.  I'd gotten it on close-out, so 'twas easy to get my $ back out of it.

I currently have  2 Conquest 4x32's mounted on rifles, 1 in the safe, & another being delivered as we speak.  I suppose you could say I'm partial to them.  I happen to like the #20 reticle, but those things are really just a personal preference.

Still, if I had an opportunity to pick up an IOR 4x for $260, I'd be on it like Michael Jackson on a Cub Scout.

FC
Shocked
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
bberg7794 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bberg7794 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2010 at 12:49
Folically-I noticed you are fan of the Lyman Alaskan too from the absolute keepers post. My cousin was kind enough to loan me a Lyman Alaskan mounted on a Pre-64 M70 standard weight '06 for several seasons. I should make him an offer on this setup, but I don't think he will sell it. I really grew to like that scope. I also saw you have a Prostaf 4x rimfire. I am considering picking up one of these for a practice .22 or sending in my Weaver K4C3 for a rebuild for the same rifle.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2010 at 14:53
 " I had a GS 4.75x40, and quickly sent it down the road.  I didn't like the reticle, eye relief, or the picture.  I'd gotten it on close-out, so 'twas easy to get my $ back out of it."

Hey FC,any way you would remember if your 4.75x40 GS was made by Meade?  When I was getting ready to get one I was advised to make sure to get the Blount version,which I did,because Meade had changed lense suppliers when they took over.  True,the eye relief is on the short side but it has very nice optics,tracks true,holds zero,and gives decent low light performance.  It's one of the few scopes I'll not be getting rid of.  It'll probably end up on my .270 M70 Classic Fwt. 

Edited by 300S&W - June/08/2010 at 14:55
DAVE44 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2010 at 17:30
300S&W, how can I tell if mine is made be Bount or Meade?
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2010 at 17:39
  If you've still got the box it'll have Blount International ,Inc. logo on the bottom.

As far as on the scope itself I don't know.  Maybe by comparing the info in front of the ocular bell to mine:
  4.75x40
  Made In Japan
  J005770
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2010 at 11:46
Sorry Missed the thread the first time through.

I compared IOR to Conquest fixed 4X a few years ago and bought the IOR.  Both are bright (with an 8mm exit pupil, they both transmit more light than your eye can probably use, so they ain't the limiting portion of the equation.)

In the past, I have had gripes with IOR scopes (though I own 2 now and have had a total of 5 over the past few years); however, the failures they have experienced have not been with the well established fixed-power scopes.

In comparing the 2 (IOR and Conquest), the IOR is beefier (=heavier+ no plastic turrets) than the Conquest.  I liked the solid feel more.  That "feel" doesn't necessarily translate to increased durability or strength, but it "feels" better to me.
Optically, I liked the resolution of the IOR just a little bit more, it seemed sharper out to the edges (just me, perhaps.) 

For all-around 4X scopes, I haven't seen anything better.  Bear in mind, mine is on a 45/70 handi rifle, so I didn't look at anything in the $800+ range, but what I saw in the <$800 range, the IOR was the best I found.

I like my IOR allot.

And i too would recommend the 4a reticle, very usable in low light, not too obtrusive in daylight.

Edited by Rancid Coolaid - June/09/2010 at 14:32
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
DAVE44 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2010 at 18:36
Is the only difference between the IOR 4A and 7A reticles is that the top post on the 4A stays thin? Is the center plex spacing and thickness the same and the outer posts thickness the same on both?
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2010 at 19:05
 Here you go Dave (from IOR's web site):

4A Reticule

The 4a reticule is a German classic.  The difference between the standard #4 and 4a is any 4a reticule has a wider opening in the center utilizing the thin lines. Great for low light, our 4a has thin lines of .25 moa and thick bars of 1 moa @ 100yds

7A Reticule

This is as basic as it gets.  The 7a has a wide open center with lines .25 moa @ 100yds and heavy bars of 1 moa @ 100yds. Easy and simple it remains in our line with the 4-14 x 50 hunting scope.

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2010 at 19:52
Yes, but in low light, it stands out better than you'd think.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
DAVE44 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2010 at 08:18
Well, Ive found an IOR 4x32(7a) reticle unused in the original box for $250.00 shipped to my door. I am undecided as I was leaning toward a Zeiss Conquest 4x32. If I dont like the IOR does anyone on here want to purchase it from me? Oh yeah, I found out that my WEAVER GRAND SLAM 4.75x40 is a BLOUNT model as it is stated on the box.
Folically Challenged View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Folically Challenged Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2010 at 08:25
Originally posted by DAVE44 DAVE44 wrote:

If I dont like the IOR does anyone on here want to purchase it from me? ...

DIBBS!!!!!!

I'll PM you my contact info.

FC
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2010 at 08:28

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!

Just kiddin',fc. Don't blame ya at all!    Bucky
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2010 at 08:30
  Glad yours was a Blount,Dave.  There is diff.

GOOD buy on that IOR to!!!
bberg7794 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bberg7794 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2010 at 09:28
Rancid-Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the solid feel and clarity of the IOR and usefulness of the 4a reticle.

If anyone else wants to weigh in regarding IOR 4x vs. Zeiss 4x or other 4x comparisons I would love to hear them. I have about two weeks to decide and I am currently leaning toward the Zeiss. Since it is longer it will fit better and look nicer on my rifle. Several people have said the Z-plex 20 reticle is a good choice for low light because it is very black. Rancid's comments on the "feel" of the IOR are interesting to me though.

This post has generated more interest than I expected. Must be there is a following for fixed power scopes
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2010 at 09:40
 Not alot of us but we are a picky lot!!   Bucky
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2010 at 11:23
 OK.  I just came in from getting my .300 w/4X Conquest on paper so I wouldn't assassinate my chrono when I retest my 150gr load (new powder lot). Only had 6rds of old 150gr load left. First time shooting with the Conquest. The first thing I noticed when looking through the scope at the target was how MUCH BRIGHTER the image got when compared to looking with my naked eye.
    100yd range
 I had boresighted it.
 1st shot- 16" low/16" right of desired poi. (HEY,it got me on paper!)
 2nd shot- Adjusted it up 64 c's/left 64 c's.  Hit 1" low/1" left of desired poi.
 3rd shot- Shot my 180gr load just to see where it would print.  Hit low/left of 2nd shot                   (didn't measure it).  
 4th shot- Adjusted it right 8 c's or 2" just to see if tracking seemed good.  Printed exactly 2"
                 right/same level as 2nd shot or 1" low/1" right of desied poi. 
 5th shot- Adjusted it left 4 c's or 1"/up 4 c's or 1".  Hit desired poi. 

Very brief and informal but I'm impressed still more with the scope.  

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic