OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Is this scope broken?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Dolphin Overton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hometheaterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is this scope broken?
    Posted: June/01/2010 at 23:18
So, I have a really stupid question. I know most of you are going to probably bash me for this scope, but it's on a stock 10/22 and has always worked fine for what it is. I don't need a high dollar scope for a 10/22 that I sometimes shoot. Anyway, this is a Simmons Deerfield 3x9x32 and I noticed a few times this piece at the end has come loose. I've just tightened it back down. It unscrews and once unscrewed you can see threads under it. I'm not sure if it's for you to attach a sun shape or what. Anyway, I just tightened this little cover thing back down and didn't look into it much. Today I noticed it was loose again and when I got to looking the threads it screw onto also turn. When you turn those it turns the outside lens with it. I tried to tighten it up but it didn't tighten. I then noticed it was way out of focus. So I turn it back to where it was and just screwed the cap back on. When I screwed it back to where it was it got focused again. Is there a way to tell if the nitrogen has leaked out? Does this mean something is wrong with it or is it fine and supposed to do this? I can't figure out if it's not supposed to do this or if that cap the screws on is just supposed to act as a locking nut or something. Here are pictures. You can see the piece the screws on and off. You can also see the threads where turn and turn the lens once the piece is removed.

cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2010 at 23:26
There should be a locking grease keeping it from coming loose. (as far as the lens assembly) The outer ring isn't really all that important. Yes there is a good possibility that the Nitrogen has escaped the scope. Unless you are using it in conditions that fogging may be a problem, it should be fine so long as you don't remove the lens assembly. Use some plumbers tape on the outer ring threads, or Loctite would probably be better. If you begin to see atmosphere inside the scope, then it is time to replace it.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
hometheaterman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Dolphin Overton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hometheaterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2010 at 23:32
Originally posted by cyborg cyborg wrote:

There should be a locking grease keeping it from coming loose. (as far as the lens assembly) The outer ring isn't really all that important. Yes there is a good possibility that the Nitrogen has escaped the scope. Unless you are using it in conditions that fogging may be a problem, it should be fine so long as you don't remove the lens assembly. Use some plumbers tape on the outer ring threads, or Loctite would probably be better. If you begin to see atmosphere inside the scope, then it is time to replace it.
Scope is crystal clear when it's focused. Actually surprises me how clear it is in both daytime and low light for such a cheap scope. So as long as it's clear is it fine? If the nitrogen escapes the scope does that just mean it can fog up? Or does it then start failing to hold zero? If it's just the fogging I will just wait until it fogs up before I replace it as right now it looks clear. Way clearer than a buddies newer Simmons I looked through today. I couldn't believe how his looked after having used this thing. I hear people complain about the clarity of cheap glass, but I've had great luck with this one. His on the other hand wasn't so clear.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2010 at 23:36
The nitrogen is for keeping the scope free of atmosphere. (or humidity) Humidity can cause part to begin to deteriorate. So long as the scope remains clear and zero is held. roll with it.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2010 at 08:41
I also think it'll be just fine. 
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2010 at 17:05

On your scope, the outer objective ring is holding the objective lens in place, so as you unscrew it, the objective lens is moving forward, which is why it gets out of focus.  The objective lens should be sealed by an o-ring or something similar, but if it moved at all, there would have been sufficient gap for the nitrogen to escape.  So, it's almost guaranteed that your scope is no longer nitrogen purged.  I would epoxy the threads and screw the ring tight again.  It should never move again.  If later it fogs up, then hey... it's a Simmons, and it won't cost much to get as good or better replacement scope.  Until then, just keep using it as long as it keeps working.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic