OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Need A Rugged Scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wild In AK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need A Rugged Scope
    Posted: October/05/2005 at 02:27

Hello,

I just found the SWFA website last week, prefect timing.  I'm in the market for a scope for a new Rem .338 I purchased this weekend.  I just got my residency in Alaska and have been out after moose a couple time and have realized one thing, my new scope will need to be able to take a "lickin".  This means many miles of rough terrain in an ATV gunboot, heavy timber, swamp, rocky mountains, and rain. 

I'm looking at a few scopes around the $250-$350 area in the 2x7and 3x9:  Nikon Monarch, Burris Signature or the FFII(not sure what the main differences are), Weaver Grand Slam, and the Leupold VXII.  I have a new VXII, like it, love the warranty, and know it can take the abuse, but am willing to try something new.  Another option would be to move the VXII 3x9 I already own from my 7mm mag over to my .338 and purchase a slightly higher power scope for my 7mm to hunt dall sheep and caribou, or is 3x9 adequate, tell me what you think.  Either way the scope will need to be tough.   If any one has any experience hunting with these scopes in rugged conditions please give me your thoughts or any other scope you know fits this application.

Oh, one more thing, it is a .338 so eye relief is important.

Thanks for you help. 

Stud Duck View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stud Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2005 at 07:44

As for the "toughness" of a scope, Leupold will be hard to beat and they have the warranty to back it up.

I've used Leupold for years and have yet to experience any problems. (With their scopes or with their customer service.)

You won't find much love for a Leupold scope on this forum, I'm not quite sure why, but alot of the negative opinions I have read on this site are based on, well.....nothing. The only thing negative I can say about Leupold is their price, I feel that they're pricing themselves out of existence.

I'm not against trying anything new, and neither should you be. I purchased a Zeiss Conquest from SWFA a few months ago and couldn't be happier. The only reason I purchased the Conquest was from what I've read on this site.

You need to read several responses to questions on this forum, you'll learn who knows what they're talking about and with any luck one of those guys will respond to your post.

Best of luck!  

Edited by Stud Duck
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2005 at 12:57

All the scopes you mention are good choices.  I am not so much of a Leupold basher as I am mystified at what they charge for their products.  In my opinion, you can get the same or better quality for less, or the same cost from other companies.   A 3-9x40 is sufficient for just about any N.American big game.   If you need more magnification on a big game animal, you should probably not be taking the shot, or you need to get your eyes checked.

ranburr

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2005 at 10:03
A little off the subject here- but the abuse you plan to put the scope through is pretty common on a serious hunt. Which brings up a question-why in the hell does everyone think Tactical scopes are made better? Sorry a pet peeve. Eye relief is the most important thing you want. A Rem .338 is a light rifle for guns in that class. It "kicks" more than a 2 lb heavier 416. The recoil velocity when combined with the tendency of most hunters in a stress situation to move the cheek forward causes big problems. The perception that some scopes are made as good as a Leo for less money etc. simply means that Leo has somehow been chosen as a standard. I prefer to look at it the other way - comparison of the Leo to the high price spread. Scope comparisons and technical data have some meaning but look what is used in competitive events. The best answer- is take a back up.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2005 at 15:18

3-9x40 Zeiss Conquest (with 4" fixed eye relief), or a fixed power scope like a Monarch, or if your budget allows it, a Schmidt and Bender.

Less to go wrong with fixed power scopes, and they provide excellent eye relief and a good field of view. 

Welcome aboard.

Edited by cheaptrick
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Wild In AK View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wild In AK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2005 at 07:22

Thanks for the replies.

I was really leaning toward staying with a Leo in 2x7, because I liked the lower power and Zeiss was a initially out of my price range, but I lucked into stealing a 3x9x50 Conquest off the internets largest auction site. ($370 in-hand).  Sorry SFWA, but I couldn't pass that up, and actually thought there was no way I would walk away with it. 

Now with the Conquest on the way, I'm back to some concerns with eye relief.  The Leo would have provided plenty, but the Conquest eye relief for the 50mm is listed at only 3.34" on SWFA and slightly more on the Zeiss site at 3.5".  My Rem. 700 .338 is the new XCR model and comes with the R3 Sims Limbsaver recoil pad.  Questions: why does the eye relief reduce when you move from the 40mm Conquest up to the 50mm, and has anyone shot the new Sims Limbsaver pad?  They say they are the best on the market.  If they are that good, do they reduce any of the backword movement of the rifle when fired (in turn reducing the movement of the scope toward the eye) or just reduce the feel of the kick? 

Also, I need some rings and mounts,  are there any specific ones that fit well with the Conquest or will standard 1" Leupold rings work just fine?

Thanks for the help.

Shane

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2005 at 10:20

3.5" eye relief should be OK. I doubt you'll have any problems.

I like the 40mm obj. though.

Conetrol rings are my favorite hunting rings. I have used Leupold rings on hard recoiling rifles successfully.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
miket_81 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miket_81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2005 at 10:43

I have a slip on limbsaver that I use when target shooting and it works wonderful. It really helps reduce recoil! I think that it does reduce the backward motion "velocity" as well. I also put a R3 limbsaver on my 12ga and it made it alot more pleasant to shoot!

You will really like that conquest! I have a 3-9X40 on my WBY SPM 7mm-08 and is the best i have looked through compared to anything under a grand.  

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic