OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

black edges in view...paralax?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjones96761 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: black edges in view...paralax?
    Posted: May/31/2010 at 23:42
I've heard different folks call the same issue different names. I need to know the term so I know what to look for in a new scope, I've heard it called paralax free, when you can only look through the scope one way to get a field of view that is clear. Is that right?
When I get tied down by the ties that bind, seems like I'm never gonna find the time to do what I need. - Jason Boland "Somewhere Down in Texas"
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2010 at 01:31
That would be focus. Parallax is the moving of the reticle when you change your head position within the eyebox. The eyebox is the sweet spot behind the scope that yields a good sight picture without black edges, or light fade. Some scopes are forgiving in that department others are very finicky. Scopes that aren't parallax adjustable are fixed parallax. The range that they are fixed can vary from maker to maker, or from model to model. Most are 100 yards or meters fixed. Some are 50 yards, or meters.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2010 at 03:41
You could also be referring to the tunnelvision effect. Some scopes with poor glass show a lot of black around the edges, which is actually the inside of the scope you are seeing.

Then there is also the eye relief. If you hold the scope to close or too far away from your eye you will see a black edge around the field of view. A good scope has a generous eye relief, which avoids becoming a member of the halfmoon club.

Maybe if you are more specific we can help more.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2010 at 12:51
Actually, the "tunnel vision" affect is related to eyepiece design and has nothing to do with glass quality or the overall quality of the optic.  Some very expensive scopes can have tunnel vision at low power.  Most scopes have some tunnel vision to some degree, in fact, and it is most prominent at low magnification.  More important is the image quality across the FOV, though excessive tunnel vision can be annoying.

Parallax is the apparent shift in position between two objects in your field of view.  In a rifle scope, the term is used to describe the reticle and the target object not being in the same focal plane.  With excessive parallax, the reticle appears to shift away from the point of aim as the shooter's head moves away from the optical center of the scope.  Parallax adjustment or side focus brings both the reticle and the target image to the same focal plane so that the reticle center stays locked onto the point of aim regardless of whether your eye is centered in the optic or not.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
tjones96761 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjones96761 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2010 at 21:15
Let me say that another way. I put the gun in a vise and zero it on a target. If I move my eye around in the eyebox, and the crosshairs move without the gun moving, and there is still a full clear view in the scope. This is paralax correct? same scenario, this time I move my head and get black edges, but crosshairs stay fixed. What do you call this? This is what I like, no matter what position I get behind the gun, as long as I have a clear view, the bullet goes where the crosshairs are. What specification am I looking for to determine if a scope has this attribute without physically looking through the scope? Glass quality, clarity, color, etc. are all second to this one item on my score card.

When I get tied down by the ties that bind, seems like I'm never gonna find the time to do what I need. - Jason Boland "Somewhere Down in Texas"
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2010 at 21:45
If the cross hairs do not move then that is fixed parallax. Bare in mind that if a scope is fixed at 100 yards anything that is below that you will see a tendency for the parallax to present itself.

What you are asking for is a fixed parallax scope. Any scope that is not parallax adjustable is a fixed parallax scope.

Side focus, rear focus and adjustable objective are examples of Parallax adjustable scopes. If you are looking for fixed Parallax then you will want to stay away from these types. 

Cyborg
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjones96761 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2010 at 23:31
Originally posted by cyborg cyborg wrote:

Side focus, rear focus and adjustable objective are examples of Parallax adjustable scopes. If you are looking for fixed Parallax then you will want to stay away from these types. 

Doesn't that only fixed power? am I miss understanding?

cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2010 at 23:34
No fixed power is a single power scope like say 10X
Variable scopes are say 2.5-10X.

Cyborg
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2010 at 17:22
Originally posted by tjones96761 tjones96761 wrote:

Let me say that another way. I put the gun in a vise and zero it on a target. If I move my eye around in the eyebox, and the crosshairs move without the gun moving, and there is still a full clear view in the scope. This is paralax correct? same scenario, this time I move my head and get black edges, but crosshairs stay fixed. What do you call this? This is what I like, no matter what position I get behind the gun, as long as I have a clear view, the bullet goes where the crosshairs are. What specification am I looking for to determine if a scope has this attribute without physically looking through the scope? Glass quality, clarity, color, etc. are all second to this one item on my score card.

Crosshair moving on target without the gun moving = effects of parallax.

Losing all or part of the field of view as you move your eye slightly away from the centerline of the scope is likely the effect of a small exit pupil and/or critical eye relief.  This is what you get with high magnification scopes with relatively small objective lens diameters.  The exit pupil is the diameter of the column of light exiting the eyepiece of the scope.  The larger the exit pupil, the easier it is to get behind the scope and get the full sight picture.  A small exit pupil makes head position behind the scope more critical and will cause the blackout when you move your eye away from the optical center of the scope.  To give you a more forgiving "eye box," pick a scope with at least 5mm or so of exit pupil and a generous eye relief.  Simply divide the scope's objective diameter (in mm) by the magnification you plan to use frequently to get the exit pupil diameter.  For example, a 42mm objective scope at 6X = 7mm exit pupil.  So, as you move up in magnification, there has to be a corresponding increase in objective lens diameter to maintain the forgiving eye position you desire.  Low powered scopes are therefore usually easier to get behind.  Choosing a scope with a long eye relief also helps in this regard, but it doesn't change the exit pupil issue.  The downside to longer eye relief is that it usually comes at the expense of field of view.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2010 at 17:44
Get Your Popcorn Ready
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjones96761 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2010 at 19:51
Originally posted by cyborg cyborg wrote:

I typo'd. If you take side, rear, and AO out of the running, doesn't that only leave fixed power scopes?

cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2010 at 22:18
Not at all. Variable scopes are just that they have a power range. Example is a 3-9X 42. Here I will pull up a couple of examples for you.

This is an example of a fixed Parallax variable power scope. Note that there is no mention of adjustable Objective, Side Focus, or Rear Focus.

Here is an example of a parallax adjustable scope. Note it says side focus.
Here is another adjustable Parallax variable scope. Note it says Adjustable Objective.
This is an example of a fixed power, and adjustable parallax scope. Note it says rear focus/parallax adjust.

Cyborg
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjones96761 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2010 at 22:48
Thank you Cyborg. Understand fully now. 
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2010 at 22:50
I am and any of us here are always happy to be of assistance.

Cyborg
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic