OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope, bases and rings for 700VS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjones96761 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope, bases and rings for 700VS
    Posted: May/31/2010 at 23:33
I bought a 700VS LH in .223 used. That's right, I said LEFT HANDED. It came with 1" Xhigh Leupold rings and bases. I'd like to get a Viper 6.5-20 scope to put on it, but added expense to change rings (and maybe bases) gets expensive quick. Definitely want more than 12 magnification. Really like the idea of 1 piece TPS bases. but how important is the 1 piece base? I can't even find one that says for left hand, I plan to call SWFA tomorrow to clarify. I'll be shooting paper and steel plates from 100-600yds or so, more if I become capable, and occasional coyote, crow, or armadillo from the back porch. Maybe a different scope? Just get 30mm high Leupold rings for existing bases? Any and all help appreciated.

When I get tied down by the ties that bind, seems like I'm never gonna find the time to do what I need. - Jason Boland "Somewhere Down in Texas"
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2010 at 03:08
Originally posted by tjones96761 tjones96761 wrote:

I bought a 700VS LH in .223 used. That's right, I said LEFT HANDED.

Heres a VSLH .308 with Badger rail.
(Barrel was cut from "26 to 20")

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2010 at 06:23
most tactical rails like the TPS can be used for either LH or RH. 
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2010 at 09:42
Why is the bolt handle on the wrong side?
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2010 at 09:46
Badger 20MOA rail on short action.  badger Max50 rings.  Sorry, crappy camera.

tjones96761 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjones96761 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2010 at 23:55
So... obviously there are some lefties in the group. good to know I'm not alone. looks like there is a rail available that fits a lefty.
Still haven't got any advise about changing to a 30MM Leo ring, changing to a 1 inch scope, or scrapping the Leo rings and bases all together and getting a rail and 30mm rings.

Also 3 bills for mounts and rings seems excessive on a 4 bill scope. Wouldn't hesitate if it were a Swaro, but it isn't. Is my amateur showing through yet?

When I get tied down by the ties that bind, seems like I'm never gonna find the time to do what I need. - Jason Boland "Somewhere Down in Texas"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2010 at 13:04
Originally posted by tjones96761 tjones96761 wrote:

I bought a 700VS LH in .223 used. That's right, I said LEFT HANDED. It came with 1" Xhigh Leupold rings and bases. I'd like to get a Viper 6.5-20 scope to put on it, but added expense to change rings (and maybe bases) gets expensive quick. Definitely want more than 12 magnification. Really like the idea of 1 piece TPS bases. but how important is the 1 piece base? I can't even find one that says for left hand, I plan to call SWFA tomorrow to clarify. I'll be shooting paper and steel plates from 100-600yds or so, more if I become capable, and occasional coyote, crow, or armadillo from the back porch. Maybe a different scope? Just get 30mm high Leupold rings for existing bases? Any and all help appreciated.

Sorry, shoulda read the initial post.

First, the lat post: $300 mounts for $400 scope.  many make the mistake of getting cheap mounts and become confused/concerned when the "scope won't hold zero."  I recommend stuff more on the bullet-proof end of the spectrum, but good stuff isn't always really expensive.  TPS should be fine, I've always had great luck with their stuff.

Next, x-high rings are probably going to be too high, I would replace them.  If a good cheek weld is needed (as it most definitely will be with a 20X scope), look to medium or maybe high rings, depending on the objective of the scope to be mounted.

I prefer 1-piece bases since problems in hole alignment shows to be a problem (base or receiver) before the scope goes into the mounts.  It is much more possible to have a 2-piece base off perfect alignment - which can damage a scope.  That, and I prefer canted bases with multiple slots for mounting, and 2-piece bases severely limit where the scope can be positioned and where the rings can be positioned.  But many will disagree.

Most of my bases and rings are Badger, there are far cheaper components, but none better, in my experience.  I'd spring for TPS, even if it means waiting a little longer.  TPS is good stuff at a reasonable price, go much cheaper and you might have problems you do not wish to experience.  Avoid anything stamped aluminum (like Weaver) or any dovetail front - windage-adjustable rear - those fail like a French military maneuver.

600 yards is a poke, get good at 100 then gradully make your way out.  Personally, I'd say 20X is too much on the top end.  i own only 1 20X scope and it bugs me every time I get to 20X, I know what my heart-beat looks like in the reticle, and that doesn't help my shooting.
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2010 at 18:53
You might want to look at Talley one piece rings,resonably priced & very well made!
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
tjones96761 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjones96761 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2010 at 20:35
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

600 yards is a poke, get good at 100 then gradully make your way out.  Personally, I'd say 20X is too much on the top end.  i own only 1 20X scope and it bugs me every time I get to 20X, I know what my heart-beat looks like in the reticle, and that doesn't help my shooting.

Yeah it's a poke. I was taught to aim high (in life, not behind the gun). I can shoot 1/2" 100 yd groups with my bull barrel AR and 4-12 Redfield. Not bragging, I know folks can do more with less. Just wanted to clarify I wasn't the guy who bought a 338Lup to impress his boss. Not interested in doing 100 yard stuff. want to try my hand at adjustable turrets, gauging wind, bullet drop, etc. Been shooting rifles for 15 years, all self taught. I think this might take a little bit more than trial and error, I'll have to get some old white haired guys to "learn me good" (in Okie) Before I get into training and such, I want to leave little doubt that the error was mine, not the gun's.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2010 at 13:00
1-piece base is usually a good idea, IMO.  You should also change the rings.  X-High rings will not work well on this gun.

I would suggest that you get Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 with MilDot reticle.

As far as bases go, there are a few good options that are not outrageously expensive.

TPS makes very good stuff.
I have also had good luck with Warne as well as EGW.

As far as the rings go, I would suggest you stick with TPS TSR rings.  They are very nicely machined and easier to use than Warne's vertically split rings.  Make sure you read the instructions that come with TPS rings.

Beyond that you need to choose whether you want steel or aluminum used for both rings and base.  TPS is available both in steel and aluminum.  There is no practical difference, so I would probably call SWFA and find out what they have in stock.

As far as ring height goes, if you choose to go with Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50, you would need medium height rings.  For the 6.5-20x44 model, low TPS rings will work fine.

ILya

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2010 at 09:51
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

Why is the bolt handle on the wrong side?

Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic